Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2014, 08:37 PM

12 posts, read 23,287 times

Advertisements

I have posted before about Salem, now things have changed and my mother and I are looking at other possibilities. We won't be moving for a few years, but I like to plan things out.
Here is what we need from where ever we move

-A not so expensive rent, minimum of $900- max of $1100.
-Area where there are activities. It doesn't have to be a huge bustling place with lots of young people. Maybe just shops and markets and some family attractions or parks. I prefer beaches (haha)
-An area or town where a decent college is located in or within range of our home, preferably with a psychology master program (I know that's kind of in depth and might be difficult, just give me lots of info!)
-A place where jobs are not that scarce. I am only 19 and my mother did not attend college but intends to take college courses at some point for computer technology and basic computer skills.

The setbacks, whatever state it is anyone recommends, it has to be where we can drive. Even if it takes 40 hours to get there, it'd be a road trip! My mother cannot get on a plane whatsoever, it's life threatening.

It isn't as if I hate my state, I hate my town. No jobs, not a well structured educational system, no health care. I want to go to a great college for psychology, get a master's and become a school counselor for bullied children. I cannot do that here.
Sooo any info anyone can give, even if you just have a few ideas of some states, trust me, it is worth it to me for me to check them out. I hope I didn't make it too impossible to give me some help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 10:38 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenAngel9000 View Post
I have posted before about Salem, now things have changed and my mother and I are looking at other possibilities. We won't be moving for a few years, but I like to plan things out.
Here is what we need from where ever we move

-A not so expensive rent, minimum of $900- max of $1100.
-Area where there are activities. It doesn't have to be a huge bustling place with lots of young people. Maybe just shops and markets and some family attractions or parks. I prefer beaches (haha)
-An area or town where a decent college is located in or within range of our home, preferably with a psychology master program (I know that's kind of in depth and might be difficult, just give me lots of info!)
-A place where jobs are not that scarce. I am only 19 and my mother did not attend college but intends to take college courses at some point for computer technology and basic computer skills.

The setbacks, whatever state it is anyone recommends, it has to be where we can drive. Even if it takes 40 hours to get there, it'd be a road trip! My mother cannot get on a plane whatsoever, it's life threatening.

It isn't as if I hate my state, I hate my town. No jobs, not a well structured educational system, no health care. I want to go to a great college for psychology, get a master's and become a school counselor for bullied children. I cannot do that here.
Sooo any info anyone can give, even if you just have a few ideas of some states, trust me, it is thereworth it to me for me to check them out. I hope I didn't make it too impossible to give me some help!
There aren't many good paying jobs in Montana in general and wages are low. Cost of living is high in the pretty areas. I don't know about school counselors but Montana teacher pay is some of the lowest in the nation. Maybe you could afford to go to college in the state but making a living there after is tough.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:44 AM

85 posts, read 103,787 times
Pennsylvania is home to some fine colleges and universities. Maybe what you are looking for is in the next town, not the next state.

Old 12-23-2014, 04:04 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Just to give you a heads up,we had a regular poster in the Montana Forum. She was not only a teacher, but was credentialed and certified as a Principal. She held the position of Vice Principal and she was a teacher (you known how it is with small school districts, you hold more than one position). She finally quit and moved to Gillette Wyoming. Her starting pay was well over double what she made in Montana.

Don't let the scenery make your decision. We also have beautiful mountains and yes, it costs extra to see them.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:08 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,520,698 times
I found your post a few days back. Thought you were from PA but did not see it when I reread today.

If you are in PA I would suggest you look at northern Delaware (maybe Newark). Delaware has no sales tax and low taxes in general. Newark might be a good area to check out. Beaches, yes. Colleges, yes. Not sure about employment as just about everywhere is hurting but I would think you and your mom can find something to get the ball rolling.

I live in NJ and would like to go out west but it is such a major move. I am now trying very hard to find something nice for my mom and me in Delaware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana