Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 09:39 PM

28 posts, read 143,241 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Thank you for your responses.. the webcites and personal knowledge of real facts.

Don't want to start an issue of opinions at war.

So I am asking the moderators of this cite to please close this thread, as I have received good info and wish to not have hurt feelings etc.

Thank you.

Dee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 11:24 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,505,114 times
I dont think we're anywhere close to starting a war. Most of the opinions seemed to be, "Yeah it can happen, but rarely wolves w/ horses, and if so... Horses are more than capable of defending themselves."

That was my take. But, glad we could all help.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:53 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
I see no reason to close it. Some interesting info coming out and none of it has been heated. I'll leave it open for now.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:01 PM

722 posts, read 1,109,403 times
People like to talk about wolves killing anything they like but wolves are very efficient predators who do not like to waste their food source. Coyotes consume way more biomass than wolves do. Which is part of the reason wolves do not like coyotes. I think they are a really neat animal. But I don't think the reintroduction is a great idea. Too many people have this big bad wolf mentality. It just won't work when people prefer to base their information off of the Three Little Pigs instead of actual fact. I saw this ridiculous program on TV where some troglodyte had brought their kids on to speak out against wolves because they might eat one of them and for a while I thought I was the only other person in the state that knew that there has only been one documented attack on human beings in the past century. So Radek, you are my new hero. It just baffles me that people live or want to live here and they can't deal with the main feature that makes Montana what it is. If you can't handle the wild, then stay out of the wilderness. Bears totally freak me out, which is why I do not go camping in the mountains with nothing between me and the outside world but a tent. Oh no, Wingate. Thank you much.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:04 PM

495 posts, read 493,145 times
I wouldn't be surprised and I kind of expect to hear someday that a wolf has attacked a young child. It's almost inevidable that it will happen, afterall mountain lions have already attacked people/children.......so why wouldn't a cunning and agressive preditor like the wolf, that don't to be that shy about coming in close to where people live, like ranches after livestock...
I think wolves are doing alot of things now that people said they wouldn't do when they were trying to get them reintroduced.
All that being said, I'm all for having wolves in our world here in montana. But like other large preditors there will just be more and more trouble as people keep moving into and on the borders of their range.
I guess people will just have to learn to accept change even if that means the wolves eating a couple of their kids in their backyard because the parents wanted to live out their 'montana dream'

Old 02-07-2008, 06:48 PM

722 posts, read 1,109,403 times
I have more to fear from my fellow man than I do natural predators. Not that I don't believe it could happen or that it would be terrifying, but more likely I would be attacked by a person, or hit by a drunk driver in this state then attacked by a bear, mountain lion or a wolf. More people die from bee stings than shark attacks yet we generally have more irrational fear of being attacked by sharks than being stung by bees. Its just the nature of fear. As far as the safety of our kids, this last year Helena had about four attempted abductions. Including a man who went into a families front yard and grabbed their little boy. Broad daylight attempts. Now that is something to worry about.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:27 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,380,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4horseshoes View Post
Hi All,

Thank you for your responses.. the webcites and personal knowledge of real facts.

Don't want to start an issue of opinions at war.

So I am asking the moderators of this cite to please close this thread, as I have received good info and wish to not have hurt feelings etc.

Thank you.

Dee
Dee, you seem like a good-natured person. If you want a definition of "opinions at war" read through the thread on "Montana relocation: resentment toward newcomers". I'm surprised you haven't had a post yet on Californians attacking wolves.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:30 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
Dee, you seem like a good-natured person. If you want a definition of "opinions at war" read through the thread on "Montana relocation: resentment toward newcomers". I'm surprised you haven't had a post yet on Californians attacking wolves.
It's not a war, it's just spirited.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:28 AM

495 posts, read 493,145 times
december wrote:

Quote:
I have more to fear from my fellow man than I do natural predators. Not that I don't believe it could happen or that it would be terrifying, but more likely I would be attacked by a person, or hit by a drunk driver in this state then attacked by a bear, mountain lion or a wolf. More people die from bee stings than shark attacks yet we generally have more irrational fear of being attacked by sharks than being stung by bees. Its just the nature of fear. As far as the safety of our kids, this last year Helena had about four attempted abductions. Including a man who went into a families front yard and grabbed their little boy. Broad daylight attempts. Now that is something to worry about.
All that is certainly true.......But (you knew there was a 'but' coming).....if I see a griz in the woods while I'm getting out of my car, I'm still getting back and heading back down the road......even though I know my chance of getting hit by a drunk verses eatin' by a griz are 10,000 to 1. Go Griz !

Old 02-09-2008, 07:18 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeMan View Post
december wrote:

All that is certainly true.......But (you knew there was a 'but' coming).....if I see a griz in the woods while I'm getting out of my car, I'm still getting back and heading back down the road......even though I know my chance of getting hit by a drunk verses eatin' by a griz are 10,000 to 1. Go Griz !
What about getting hit by a drunk griz (fan)? Or, more likely getting eaten by a grizzley drunk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana