Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 02:27 AM

2 posts, read 2,319 times

Advertisements

My family and I current live in a town with a population of about 23,000 in central Arkansas. I am a RN and my husband works in the oil/gas field. We have two young children. We are wanting to travel and visit different places to see where we want to settle down. I would love to move to West Montana. What towns would you suggest that is small but not to small. Safe for children with good schools, a hospital close. I currently drive 15mins into town to work. Any suggests welcomed. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 05:16 AM

910 posts, read 1,083,544 times
All of Montana fits your description.

Most of MT is a different world from what you are used to. Almost every hospital in the state needs RN's. I would go to the MT state website that has job openings and go from there. It is easier to find the jobs, and then research the towns. If you have questions after that, then just ask.

Here is the website.

https://jobs.mt.gov/jobs/login.seek

Good luck.

Old 06-13-2016, 11:24 AM

8,502 posts, read 8,802,096 times
Hamilton by itself is small but add up everybody right outside it and it adds up to near 25,000 and there is 40,000 in the full county.

Kalispell, Missoula, Helena and Butte are all a lot bigger but may be not too big. That is your call. Living on outskirts may make it work better for you.

Everything else is a lot smaller than Hamilton area. Dillon is small but may not be "too small" for you. It is though for many probably. Polson and Deer Lodge are other options not as often chosen by new arrivals, though Polson has started to get more.

Last edited by NW Crow; 06-13-2016 at 11:34 AM..

Old 06-13-2016, 12:05 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,536,679 times
In Montana the gas/oil fields are in the extreme Eastern part and the Northeastern part of the state. Refineries are in Billings.

RN & medical field jobs are statewide because the state is such a large rural area with small and larger facilities.. RNs can also get hired by counties as the county health nurse.

The state might be too rural for you. Towns of 25,000 or more are few. For example, my county is 3 times the size of Rhode Island with 65,000 mother cows and 1,700 people...population density 1/2 person per square mile.

Secure the jobs and then decide about the towns.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:55 PM

387 posts, read 555,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
in montana the gas/oil fields are in the extreme eastern part and the northeastern part of the state. Refineries are in billings.

Rn & medical field jobs are statewide because the state is such a large rural area with small and larger facilities.. Rns can also get hired by counties as the county health nurse.

The state might be too rural for you. Towns of 25,000 or more are few. For example, my county is 3 times the size of rhode island with 65,000 mother cows and 1,700 people...population density 1/2 person per square mile.

Secure the jobs and then decide about the towns.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:10 PM

2 posts, read 2,319 times
Thanks everyone. My husband and I grew up in a small town of 600 people which is about 20 minutes from where we currently live. The big city isn't for us, just needs to be big enough to have a hospital close if you know what I mean. I'll will start with the job openings. Thank yall!

Old 06-14-2016, 02:01 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,374,678 times
Eastern Montana is where the oil field jobs are in the state, and eastern Montana is kind of a pit. Things have slowed down in the industry there, another place to look is Sheridan, WY. No state income tax, and it's 18k people with not much around it. Decent hospital and Billings is two hours away for major medical issues. Sheridan has a VA hospital also that is almost always looking for RN's. I lived there for seven years. Just a little too small and remote for my tastes.

Western Montana is great, if you're not too concerned about the hubby's job prospects. The Bitteroot Valley is nice, and so is the area around Flathead Lake and Glacier NP.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:03 PM

35 posts, read 41,341 times
Best Towns 2016 | Outside Online

Come to Billings, it has 2 really good hospitals and refineries.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:44 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,022,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
Eastern Montana is where the oil field jobs are in the state, and eastern Montana is kind of a pit. Things have slowed down in the industry there, another place to look is Sheridan, WY. No state income tax, and it's 18k people with not much around it. Decent hospital and Billings is two hours away for major medical issues. Sheridan has a VA hospital also that is almost always looking for RN's. I lived there for seven years. Just a little too small and remote for my tastes.

Western Montana is great, if you're not too concerned about the hubby's job prospects. The Bitteroot Valley is nice, and so is the area around Flathead Lake and Glacier NP.
So Sheridan, Wyoming is great if you want to live in a rural area free of traffic and not having to wait in lines wherever you go?

Old 06-16-2016, 09:17 PM

8,502 posts, read 8,802,096 times
Sheridan is rated one of the best small cities in the west. Traffic and "waiting" will be low generally but 8 am or 5:15 pm there will be traffic commensurate with a town of 20,000 and people using the main roads to get to and from home. If you walk into Walmart or a fast food restaurant at peak time you miggt wait some but not enough for most people to be bothered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana