Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2017, 02:53 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,814,954 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if its legal to spray dogs when they run out at you on a bike ? I had a recent fall from one,and am trying to avoid another
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 03:14 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,529,018 times
It depends. It most cases No-- it is considered cruelty to animals.

Running at you? Where? Did dog touch you?

Private property- yours
Private property- others/ dog owners
Public property- in an incorporated town or not

More details are needed.

Here is an example--
http://missoulian.com/news/local/no-...ad1cc301b.html

Last edited by historyfan; 06-15-2017 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: article addition

Old 06-15-2017, 04:27 PM

it is an on going problem in our neighborhood. i was knocked down by a dog that ran in front of my bike ,that resulted in a very bruised elbow and a trip to the chiropractor.the hoa was contacted as there is a leash law as well as a county one.so far they have done nothing and today it almost happened again but i was able to stop before falling. this is only two of many. i have had animal control out since each time it has been on a public road. they told me it was dog at large once it stepped off the person property ,as is the case each time.i blame the owners not the dog but i also feel it is my right to ride my bike thru a residential area with no fear. and by the way,i am a HUGE animal lover,and dont understand why these people are not concerned about their pets safety with cars going by.

that guy should have stopped at the dog,it was wrong to spray the women.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:04 PM

10,732 posts, read 5,664,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
It depends. It most cases No-- it is considered cruelty to animals.

Running at you? Where? Did dog touch you?

Private property- yours
Private property- others/ dog owners
Public property- in an incorporated town or not

More details are needed.

Here is an example--
No jail time for Missoula man who pepper-sprayed woman, dog | Local | missoulian.com
The linked article appears to be irrelevant. The guy was charged as a result of pepper spraying the dog's owner (which was completely unjustified), not for spraying the dog.

A loose dog that attacks can certainly be pepper sprayed (or shot). There is no requirement for the dog to touch you before one may employ force to stop the dog.

Dog attacks can result is seriously debilitating injuries, and are not something to take lightly.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:08 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannymontanny View Post
Does anyone know if its legal to spray dogs when they run out at you on a bike ? I had a recent fall from one,and am trying to avoid another
Seeing as how mail carriers carry spray I don't see how this could be illegal.

Old 06-17-2017, 11:35 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,529,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannymontanny View Post
it is an on going problem in our neighborhood. i was knocked down by a dog that ran in front of my bike ,that resulted in a very bruised elbow and a trip to the chiropractor.the hoa was contacted as there is a leash law as well as a county one.so far they have done nothing and today it almost happened again but i was able to stop before falling. this is only two of many. i have had animal control out since each time it has been on a public road. they told me it was dog at large once it stepped off the person property ,as is the case each time.i blame the owners not the dog but i also feel it is my right to ride my bike thru a residential area with no fear. and by the way,i am a HUGE animal lover,and dont understand why these people are not concerned about their pets safety with cars going by.

that guy should have stopped at the dog,it was wrong to spray the women.
On a public road & with the dog not on a leash, you can certainly defend yourself. Call your sheriff's office and ask specifically about bear spray v personal protection spray. There apparently are different types.

Old 06-23-2017, 02:09 PM

Thank you all for your replies.i have since posting had another near miss by a big german shepherd,as soon as we seen it charging we stopped,while waiting for owner to get it under control.we are now carrying spray,and animal control is driving thru when they can.but people are still refusing to leash.i dont see a solution to the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
View detailed profiles of: