Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 10:48 PM

23 posts, read 72,762 times

Advertisements

We have been exploring and researching several areas in the NW Montana region and have narrowed it down to the Eureka/Rexford area but we really love Libby. I know has had some problems but the town just seems so friendly. It 's a gorgeous area. Anyone be able to give me some insight as to the community,the current asbestos situation, and also the winters.. We have been there in the summer. We are from Massachusetts with lots of snow and cold so that dosent bother us.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 06:59 PM

297 posts, read 795,059 times
Lived there for several years, decades ago, before the asbestos was known to be so bad. It is a HUGE problem. I wouldn't raise kids there and am still wondering if our family is going to have health problems eventually from having lived there.

Check out the web site for CARD (Center for Asbestos Related Disease) there in Libby. CARD: Center for Asbestos Related Diseases in Libby Montana and the relevant EPA site. http://www2.epa.gov/region8/libby-asbestos

The winters are long, gray, and very drab. Often foggy, which makes it seem even more socked in.

I'm not familiar with the Eureka/Rexford area other than having driven through on my way to Canada, but many people on this board have had nice things to say about it. Best of luck to you!

Old 07-15-2013, 07:49 AM

18 posts, read 46,876 times
bushmtn, I won't be much help to you on the subject of Libby, but I just wanted to let you know about the upcoming Nordicfest on Sept. 13th - 15th in Libby. Velkommen til Nordicfest - September 13 - 15, 2013

I've never been, but from the website it appears to be an annual event, and it looks like it's a good time to visit as it is a big community event. Most public schools are back in session by the middle of September, so I wouldn't expect "summer vacation" like crowds. (hopefully)

I unfortunately live in South Florida, but will be flying in to Spokane, renting a car, and using this event to start an 11 day tour of Northwestern Montana including most of the cities you listed in the other thread plus, Glacier National Park, then we are heading down to Red Lodge, Cody and Yellowstone.

Maybe I'll see you at the parade! ;-)

Old 07-15-2013, 03:30 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,533,648 times
Whenever I purchase property I always think about resale. I would not go near the area.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:40 PM

rb89509 you will have a wonderful time.. that is one of the most beautiful places in the country.. Have you been there before? My husband has been doing due diligence on Libby and talked to many people and we are going to make a trip out there and scout it out.. somewhere in the northwest section is our home.. just where .. I dont know

Old 07-19-2013, 11:04 PM

Default how much snow in Libby and troy

We have narrowed down our search to Libby and Troy for retirement and are aware of the asbestos issue. The people seem to be very down to earth and friendly.. Our kind of town. Can anyone tell me the snowfall average in Libby and what the winters are like.. We live in Massachusetts and get alot of snow along with blizzards and very cold weather many days so snow and cold is not a deterent. I'm just curious because we really do like snow but we dont have to be swimming in it all winter. Thanks

Old 07-19-2013, 11:13 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
In the thread at the top of the Forum, called Summer Weather Alerts, in the very first post, the very first link is for Climate information. You can take a look at moisture, inches of rain, wind, etc... for any town you want to. I realize that is not going to answer your question on how high the drifts get, but it will give you a good base on how much wind, vrs how much moisture. A good rule of thumb is about 10% of snow would be moisture. For instance, an inch of moisture would indicate approximately 10 inches of snow. That's real rough. In the early part of winter or the late part of winter, when snow is heavy and wet, it might be a little more. During the dead of winter, it would be less.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:20 AM

bushmtn, no, I've only made it as far as Bozeman. :-( My daughter graduates high school in five years, (she lives with her mom). I told her daddy would wait till then before he moved "back out west", so I'm stuck in the third world country that is known as South Florida. Needless to say I've got plenty of time to do research. I'm only looking to purchase a lot or acreage at this point. I would like to buy sooner then later because I would think prices will only increase over time. The idea scenario of course would be to buy an "unimproved" lot and hope that in the 5 year interim utilities, at least electric service gets closer. I would think drilling a well and having a propane tank are part of the bargain of living in the "boonies". ;-)

You probably have these links or more. If you do let me know!

Montana Land Office - Whitefish real estate and Northwest Montana MLS listings

Troy, Bull Lake, and Libby, Real Estate - Tracy Nicely

Troy, Montana Real Estate, real estate for sale in troy montana | homes for sale in troy montana | mountain homes for sale in troy montana | troy | montana | land | property | homes | land for sale in troy montana | mountain property | ranches for sa

Old 07-21-2013, 11:17 PM

rb89509 it looks like we might try to get out their for Nordic fest so we might see you at the parade! Are you still planning on going.. I'm checking hotels and reading reviews.. I know there are no Holiday Inns there but where to stay is a good one..Anyone have any suggestions as to which hotels in Libby are the best?

Old 07-21-2013, 11:27 PM

The Caboose Motel gets good reviews.

Caboose Motel (Libby, MT) - Motel Reviews - TripAdvisor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana