Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2008, 09:07 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,713,148 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,
I have been offered a volunteer opportunity at Yellowstone and they wanna put me at a Gardiner campground (they will pay for it). I was wondering what that place is like and whether there are any places to get groceries, etc. I have no idea about this area--never been there. Thanks.

P.S> I have an RV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 07:50 AM

774 posts, read 2,583,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Hey guys,
I have been offered a volunteer opportunity at Yellowstone and they wanna put me at a Gardiner campground (they will pay for it). I was wondering what that place is like and whether there are any places to get groceries, etc. I have no idea about this area--never been there. Thanks.

P.S> I have an RV
We vacation at Yellowstone every year, staying in Gardiner. It's a small town, but it does have a grocery store. The prices are pretty high, though. It's only about an hour's drive to Livingston where there's a much better selection in terms of groceries and prices. There are a few restaurants - the town cafe is good home-cooking. There's a really good pizza place there - Outlaw Pizza and there's a wonderful fly-shop. Otherwise, it's mostly a tourist kind of town. But it's pretty there and not crowded by any means. Would you be staying at a campground in the park or in the town of Gardiner? The campground in the park nearest Gardiner is right at Mammoth Hot Springs and it's really pretty there.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:37 AM

369 posts, read 1,455,016 times
Yeh, I'm not aware of a campground in Gardiner; there is an RV park just before one pulls into town from the North, down by the river.

Not a bad place to spend the summer in that area.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:13 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,713,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzfan View Post
Yeh, I'm not aware of a campground in Gardiner; there is an RV park just before one pulls into town from the North, down by the river.

Not a bad place to spend the summer in that area.
RV park. I guess that's what they meant. I'll find out more specifics later. The question, though, is how much is gas going to cost me to drive a dinky old camper from San Antonio all the way to Yellowstone?

Old 04-09-2008, 08:15 PM

369 posts, read 1,455,016 times
TexasNick says:

Quote:
RV park. I guess that's what they meant. I'll find out more specifics later. The question, though, is how much is gas going to cost me to drive a dinky old camper from San Antonio all the way to Yellowstone?
Let's see, 10 mpg, 1500 miles, $3.50 per gallon. 1200 / 10 x 3.5 = $525, more or less!

Old 04-09-2008, 10:09 PM

355 posts, read 1,146,853 times
I think you'll kinda like Gardiner; for a tourist town it's okay. I spent a ton of time down there several years ago when they were re-opening the gold mine in Jardine and we were going into the park a lot, too. Stayed in the old Flamingo motel and ate at the Town Cafe all the time. Used to be first rate pizza at the K-Bar, and Chico's down the road a few miles if you want to soak - or for that matter, just hike down to the Boiling River in the park.

I'd way rather spend a summer there than in the other gateway communities. If you nose around enough, there's a lot of interesting characters to be found.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:54 PM

51 posts, read 235,586 times
great answer rangerider. I agree Gardiner would be a nice place to stay. Livingston's not that far away and you are so close to the PARK. I live in an RV fith wheel and would love to spend time (in the summer) in Gardiner.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:30 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
If you can afford the position I'd say go for it! It'll be an experience you'll never forget and one that many would kill for!
Even though we live outside Glacier I'd love to be able to spend a summer in Gardner and tour Yellowstone the whole time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana