Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 03:39 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
If you are considering moving to MT, don't act like a tourist (at least much) in your limited time there. If you'd need a job, at least identify some prospects, maybe stick your head in the door a few places to get an initial reaction on them and how they act toward applicants. Look at neighborhoods, see what money will buy / rent, see where you'd prefer to be. Talk to residents. Get a feel for traffic, density, sketchy areas, parks, libraries, shopping, churches, whatever is important to you. Look & listen in restaurants, coffee shops, bars, etc. Get answers to whatever your biggest pivotal questions are. Talk to police, chamber of commerce, schools, contractors, whoever you need answers from. Be aggressive about getting needed information. Some visit and leave not much further to a decision because of how they used their time.

Read the papers, use google maps street view before and after.

5 places in 10 days? I dunno. Go to your #1 preliminary target first and see if you have enough answers after 2 days. If not, stay longer and skimp or eliminate the lowest ranked place(s) at least this visit. Getting to an answer on 2-3 places would be better than rushing thru 5 and not deciding.

If you need to spend time to confirm the love for the real place before getting to the nitty gritty details, ok. Then plan another trip for that next phase.
This is very good advice, especially the not acting like a tourist. Unless you're retired or independently wealthy you're not going to be skiing, snowshoeing, or snowmobiling all the live long day. You can also see how often other events are available. You don't do touristy stuff all day in your current location nor do people do that in other tourist destinations. Your focus should be the first paragraph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2020, 08:15 AM

246 posts, read 349,876 times
If your coming with a nest egg, (hopefully you are) be prepared to go through it in short order. Montana is crazy expensive and the wages really don't pay for what it costs to live there. In the 20 years i was their i had to work out of state 2X for a year at a time in order to afford to live there. Never was able to save any money. I left 3 years ago and finally have money in the bank.

Nearly 65% of native-born Montanans with a college degree live outside of Montana. In part, Montanans leave to pursue opportunities and experiences not available in Montana. In part, they leave to find better paying jobs. Earnings for college graduates in Missoula are among the lowest in the country. Median earnings for Missoulians with a Bachelor’s degree are $32,000. This is only 63% the national median ($50,500)."

http://www.missoulacurrent.com/opini...la-bryce-ward/

Old 03-16-2020, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstef View Post
If your coming with a nest egg, (hopefully you are) be prepared to go through it in short order. Montana is crazy expensive and the wages really don't pay for what it costs to live there. In the 20 years i was their i had to work out of state 2X for a year at a time in order to afford to live there. Never was able to save any money. I left 3 years ago and finally have money in the bank.

Nearly 65% of native-born Montanans with a college degree live outside of Montana. In part, Montanans leave to pursue opportunities and experiences not available in Montana. In part, they leave to find better paying jobs. Earnings for college graduates in Missoula are among the lowest in the country. Median earnings for Missoulians with a Bachelor’s degree are $32,000. This is only 63% the national median ($50,500)."

http://www.missoulacurrent.com/opini...la-bryce-ward/
I never knew it was that low for Missoulians with a Bachelors degree. Crazy! You can't afford any sort of quality of life in Missoula on that salary. You'd barely be able to even do free things like hike since you'd have to take a second job.

Old 03-16-2020, 08:44 AM

246 posts, read 349,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I never knew it was that low for Missoulians with a Bachelors degree. Crazy! You can't afford any sort of quality of life in Missoula on that salary. You'd barely be able to even do free things like hike since you'd have to take a second job.

It's pretty crazy. Way too many wealthy move to Montana driving up the prices and then telecommute.....

Old 03-16-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstef View Post
It's pretty crazy. Way too many wealthy move to Montana driving up the prices and then telecommute.....
It's a mess all around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana