Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 07:17 AM

9 posts, read 50,284 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking about retirement in Montana, and have visited every year for the past 4 years.
We are looking for a very small town, gotta have tree's/mountains/quiet
I don't like shopping so convience is not important. No problem with winter weather -We have lived in snow country for alot of years. I drive better in snow than I do in any city. We currenty live in a small town where I am able to leave my keys/purse in my car, and never lock my doors and would like to keep my bad habits.
So far I am gearing toward Lincoln county -but there is so much more I haven't seen.
Could anyone tell me a little about Phillip county? Our next trip is in July and I am trying to put together a route.
We are a family that enjoys being together -camping, fishing, hiking -we love history -our ancestory are from Montana, unfortunately the gold rush brought them to California.
My plan is to find my home back in Montana where I could spend the rest of our lives living a nice quiet peaceful retirement - I enjoy reading and researching my family roots and plan on writing a book. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to plot our next road trip?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2007, 08:10 AM

529 posts, read 1,892,857 times
Well you'll definitely know you're in Big Sky Country if you move to Malta, or anywhere else in Phillips County......

You'll also discover a lot of primeval geology there..... o-ton-o-dinosaurs... well, mostly dead ones at any rate.

There is quite a difference between Lincoln County and Phillips County... Land, people, climate, all pose to be opposites between the two.

If I were ever "forced" to choose betwixed the two.... Phillips County would win by a landslide.

As far as leaving your keys in the car and your doors unlocked?... Well I have to say that you could get away with that much easier in Phillips County than you ever could anywhere west of the divide. There just aren't as many hucksters living in Phillips County as there are in Lincoln County..... folks are much friendlier and helpful in Phillips County too.......

Lincoln County has been filling up with folks that are afraid of the dark lately... from Oregon and Washington mostly... (not the true Montana experience).... and most are only friendly to those who think along the same liberal lines as they do.... But in Phillips County, folks are friendly to everybody regardless of whether or not they have liberal views.

Either/or....... I'm quite sure that you will discover the place/area that best suits you in the end.

Welcome to Montana....

Oh, and on the subject of books?.... Please, please, please..... don't write any that would extoll the virtues of living in Montana .... please, please, please.... we've had quite enough of those over the years...

Last edited by GiftShoppeGuy; 02-10-2007 at 09:13 AM..

Old 02-10-2007, 03:01 PM

Thank you for your advice - I haven't checked out Lincoln county yet, but was told last year (while visiting) by a local that I would like Lincoln county. Probably not -
I will check out Phillips county -any other places you would recommend?
No worries, my plan is to write a family history book for my children about their ancestry- (your remark makes me laugh)
Thanks again!

Old 02-14-2007, 05:15 PM

529 posts, read 1,892,857 times
While you are at it then, you could take a look at White Sulphur Springs over in Meagher County.

The area around White Sulphur Springs reminds most Montanans of the way Montana used to be.

Old 02-15-2007, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiftShoppeGuy View Post
While you are at it then, you could take a look at White Sulphur Springs over in Meagher County.

The area around White Sulphur Springs reminds most Montanans of the way Montana used to be.

I will do that, thank you for being so kind, and helpful - I really apprieciate your responding to my inquiry -
guess I won't bother with Saco - but will check Roundup,Whitehall area
We have 3 weeks to spend in Montana, last year we spent most of our 3 weeks primative camping -there was still snow on the ground, but we enjoyed every minuite- this time it will be Summer, so I am sure I we will be able to travel more without some of the roads being closed due to snow.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:31 AM

462 posts, read 1,707,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcconey View Post
My husband and I are thinking about retirement in Montana, and have visited every year for the past 4 years.
We are looking for a very small town, gotta have tree's/mountains/quiet
I don't like shopping so convience is not important. No problem with winter weather -We have lived in snow country for alot of years. I drive better in snow than I do in any city. We currenty live in a small town where I am able to leave my keys/purse in my car, and never lock my doors and would like to keep my bad habits.
So far I am gearing toward Lincoln county -but there is so much more I haven't seen.
Could anyone tell me a little about Phillip county? Our next trip is in July and I am trying to put together a route.
We are a family that enjoys being together -camping, fishing, hiking -we love history -our ancestory are from Montana, unfortunately the gold rush brought them to California.
My plan is to find my home back in Montana where I could spend the rest of our lives living a nice quiet peaceful retirement - I enjoy reading and researching my family roots and plan on writing a book. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to plot our next road trip?
You will find all that in the valley from Whitehall to Sheridan. Great hunting, fishing, small towns, no crime, trees, rivers, mountains etc.

I never lock my doors except when I go to New Zealand for three weeks every year. The rest of the time, my keys live in the ignition of my car parked in my garage so I always know where to find them. When I go into Twin Bridges to the bank or post office, I leave my keys in the ignition with the windows down and never worry about it at all. That is the way of life here in the Jefferson Valley and Ruby Valley. Check it out!

We also don't usually get much snow...although just this week we got 16" of the white stuff. This is more snow than I've seen in the last 10 years here. We hadn't had a measurable snowfall here since November so this was a bit unexpected. Of course Bozeman and Butte always have snow in the winter but over here in this valley, we are sandwiched between two mountain ranges and are in somewhat of a rain shadow...hence warmer temps and less snow and rain.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:57 PM

4 posts, read 20,251 times
Talking Moved to Lincoln County from Illinois

Hi!
My husband and I moved to Eureka, Montana (Lincoln County) in September 2004. He is retired and I work from home. Just to let you know, Eureka is a great place to live. It's peaceful, the people are all friendly and helpful, no traffic jams and though I still lock my doors coming from Chicago, I doubt that is a big problem here.

I find the weather in Eureka is great too. We've had more snow this winter than the past 2 years, but do not get as much snow as other parts of Montana.

My husband and I are extremely happy living here. If and when we want more of a "night life" we go to Whitefish which is about 45 minutes away or Kalispell...about an hour away.

Kinda wish I had been born in Eureka. Sure would have been a much nicer experience for me growing up in a small town rather than a large, urban city.
Don't get me wrong, I love Chicago too, my family is there....but Eureka has felt like "my home" from day 1!!

Visit Eureka.......you just may find what you're looking for out here.

Hope this helps and if you have any questions just ask!

Old 02-21-2007, 08:14 PM

495 posts, read 493,145 times
Default humm

I Ain't Sayin' nuttin'

Old 02-25-2007, 10:41 PM

777 posts, read 3,197,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeMan View Post
I Ain't Sayin' nuttin'
ROTFLMAO I was waiting for the book comment from you. LOL

Old 02-27-2007, 05:43 PM

495 posts, read 493,145 times
johns65vette wrote :

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeMan
I Ain't Sayin' nuttin'

ROTFLMAO I was waiting for the book comment from you. LOL
what book comment would that be

gayla48 - sounds like an ad from a realestate magazine, didn't I hear that Eureka has gone bonkers with the growth thing and prices too.....what did I read somewhere - something to the effect of............the millionaires now move to Eureka now because the billionairs have driven them out of Flathead Lake. Don't laught there's alot of truth to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana