Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 08:07 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times

Advertisements

It's now crystal clear out but BNG (butt numbing cold) -8 or so and we're under a severe cold warning until tomorrow for -15 to -50 below , brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Oh well, that's what they make thermals and coats for right?
We ended up with a paltry 6 inches of snow but I was out in 25 mph winds yesterday clearing the driveway and decks. Had to sweep my way out the back door as the stuff piled up against the door...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 09:45 AM

1,466 posts, read 4,057,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
It's now crystal clear out but BNG (butt numbing cold) -8 or so and we're under a severe cold warning until tomorrow for -15 to -50 below , brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Oh well, that's what they make thermals and coats for right?
We ended up with a paltry 6 inches of snow but I was out in 25 mph winds yesterday clearing the driveway and decks. Had to sweep my way out the back door as the stuff piled up against the door...
It is cold, my furnace is running non stop it seems like.. and I have the thermostat turned down to 64 and it still is...
Stay safe and warm

Old 12-14-2008, 09:45 AM

Here is the latest Warning. No more blizzard warnings, but the wind chill is pretty brisk this morning. It will only take 10 min and you can get frostbite; So remember hats and gloves...

SOUTHERN WHEATLAND- MUSSELSHELL-TREASURE-NORTHERN ROSEBUD- CUSTER- NORTHERN STILLWATER- YELLOWSTONE-POWDER RIVER-SOUTHERN BIG HORN- EASTERN CARBON-NORTHERN PARK- NORTHERN SWEET GRASS-GOLDEN VALLEY- RED LODGE FOOTHILLS-NORTHERN BIG HORN- SOUTHERN ROSEBUD-JUDITH GAP- PARADISE VALLEY-LIVINGSTON AREA-BEARTOOTH FOOTHILLS- SHERIDAN FOOTHILLS- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...HARLOWTON... ROUNDUP...HYSHAM... COLSTRIP... FORSYTH...MILES CITY...COLUMBUS... ABSAROKEE... BILLINGS...BROADUS... PRYOR...LODGE GRASS...BRIDGER... JOLIET... CLYDE PARK...WILSALL...BIG TIMBER...RYEGATE...LAVINA... RED LODGE...HARDIN...CROW AGENCY...LAME DEER...JUDITH GAP... EMIGRANT... LIVINGSTON...FISHTAIL...MCLEOD... SHERIDAN 934 AM MST SUN DEC 14 2008

...WIND CHILL ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM MST MONDAY...

A WIND CHILL ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM MST MONDAY.

THE COMBINATION OF BITTERLY COLD TEMPERATURES AND WIND SPEEDS IN THE RANGE OF 10 TO 20 MPH TODAY THROUGH MONDAY MORNING...WILL PRODUCE VERY COLD WIND CHILLS OF 20 BELOW TO 40 BELOW ZERO.

A WIND CHILL ADVISORY MEANS THAT VERY COLD AIR AND WINDS WILL COMBINE TO GENERATE LOW WIND CHILLS. THIS WILL RESULT IN FROST BITE AND LEAD TO HYPOTHERMIA IF PRECAUTIONS ARE NOT TAKEN. IF YOU MUST VENTURE OUTDOORS... MAKE SURE YOU WEAR A HAT AND GLOVES.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:47 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,069,265 times
I walked a block and a half to the store yesterday and had to cover my face as I walked with a washcloth. I couldn't find my neoprene ski-mask. I just can't justify warming up my rig for a half hour just to go pick up a few items from the IGA being less than two blocks away. I have to either find my neoprene mask or dig through my old ski stuff and find my "bank-robber" ! Thank god for those geeky looking wool ear-flap hats or I wouldn't have ears anymore. I am now officially a "Grumpy Old Man" !

Old 12-15-2008, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
I walked a block and a half to the store yesterday and had to cover my face as I walked with a washcloth. I couldn't find my neoprene ski-mask. I just can't justify warming up my rig for a half hour just to go pick up a few items from the IGA being less than two blocks away. I have to either find my neoprene mask or dig through my old ski stuff and find my "bank-robber" ! Thank god for those geeky looking wool ear-flap hats or I wouldn't have ears anymore. I am now officially a "Grumpy Old Man" !
Take care Rickers! I've found if you put on some kind of skin moisturizer on your face and ears it'll help protect the skin from getting the "burn" from wind/cold if it gets exposed. Sounds kinda foo-foo but it sure helped when I was out blowing snow Saturday in the blizzard.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:07 AM

1,436 posts, read 3,302,945 times
About time... The NW is going to get a little snow. This is for W of Kalispell.

Issued by The National Weather Service
Missoula, MT
4:59 am MST, Wed., Dec. 17, 2008

... WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM NOON MST /11 AM PST/ TODAY TO 5 PM MST /4 PM PST/ THURSDAY...

A WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM NOON MST /11 AM PST/ TODAY TO 5 PM MST /4 PM PST/ THURSDAY.
TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 TO 12 INCHES ARE EXPECTED AT THE LOWER ELEVATIONS WITH 10 TO 18 INCHES AT THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH THURSDAY AFTERNOON. SNOW WILL DEVELOP THIS AFTERNOON AND CONTINUE... MODERATE TO HEAVY AT TIMES THROUGH MUCH OF THURSDAY.

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW... AND BLOWING SNOW ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. STRONG WINDS AND DANGEROUS WIND CHILLS ARE ALSO POSSIBLE. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE.
More Information

.A VIGOROUS WEATHER SYSTEM WILL MOVE SOUTH FROM WESTERN CANADA TO THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST COAST DURING TODAY... MOVING PACIFIC MOISTURE OVER THE VERY COLD AIR IN PLACE ALONG THE NORTHERN ROCKIES. WIDESPREAD SNOW IS ANTICIPATED TO DEVELOP... BECOMING HEAVY AT TIMES TONIGHT THROUGH EARLY FRIDAY. IN ADDITION... ANOTHER WINDY BLAST OF ARCTIC AIR WILL BE DRAWN INTO THE REGION DURING THE DAY ON THURSDAY... CREATING AREAS OF BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:55 PM

WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 5 AM TO 11 PM MST FRIDAY
UNTIL 5:30AM MST

Urgent - Winter Weather Message National Weather Service Billings MT 928 PM MST Thu Dec 18 2008

.A Strong Arctic Cold Front Will Bring Gusty Winds... Dangerous Wind Chills And Areas Of Snow And Blowing To The Area Friday Into Friday Night.

Southern Wheatland-Musselshell-Northern Stillwater-Northern Park- Northern Sweet Grass-Golden Valley-Red Lodge Foothills-Judith Gap- Paradise Valley-Livingston Area-Beartooth Foothills- Including The Cities Of... Harlowton... Roundup... Columbus... Absarokee... Clyde Park... Wilsall... Big Timber... Ryegate... Lavina... Red Lodge... Judith Gap... Emigrant... Livingston... Fishtail... Mcleod 928 PM MST Thu Dec 18 2008

... Winter Weather Advisory In Effect From 5 AM To 11 PM MST Friday...

The National Weather Service In Billings Has Issued A Winter Weather Advisory For Snow... Blowing Snow And Dangerous Wind Chills ... Which Is In Effect From 5 AM To 11 PM MST Friday.

A Strong Arctic Cold Front Will Bring Gusty Winds Of 30 Mph And Much Colder Temperatures To The Area By Early Friday Morning. The Combination Of The Winds And Colder Temperatures Will Create Dangerous Wind Chills Of 20 To 30 Below Zero. In Addition To These Dangerous Wind Chills... 1 To 3 Inches Of Snow Can Be Expected Across The Area. The Snow And Gusty Winds Will Taper Off By Early Friday Evening.

A Winter Weather Advisory Can Be Issued For A Variety Of Winter Weather Conditions Such As Light Snow... Blowing Snow... Sleet... Freezing Rain... And Extreme Wind Chills.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:57 PM

WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 11 AM TO 11 PM MST FRIDAY
UNTIL 10:00AM MST
Urgent - Winter Weather Message National Weather Service Billings MT 954 PM MST Thu Dec 18 2008

Treasure-Northern Rosebud-Custer-Fallon-Yellowstone-Powder River- Carter-Southern Big Horn-Northern Big Horn-Southern Rosebud- Sheridan Foothills- Including The Cities Of... Hysham... Colstrip... Forsyth... Miles City... Baker... Billings... Broadus... Ekalaka... Pryor... Lodge Grass... Hardin... Crow Agency... Lame Deer... Sheridan

... Winter Weather Advisory Remains In Effect From 11 AM To 11 PM MST Friday...

The National Weather Service In Billings Has Issued A Winter Weather Advisory For Snow... Blowing Snow And Dangerous Wind Chills... Which Is In Effect From 11 AM To 11 PM MST Friday.

A Strong Arctic Cold Front Will Bring Gusty Winds Up To 30 Mph And Much Colder Temperatures To The Area By Late Friday Morning. The Combination Of The Winds And Colder Temperatures Will Create Dangerous Wind Chills Of 25 To 35 Below Zero. In Addition To These Dangerous Wind Chills... 1 To 3 Inches Of Snow Can Be Expected Across The Area. The Snow Will Taper Off By Late Friday Night. However... Gusty Winds Will Continue Into Saturday With The Dangerous Wind Chills Continuing.

A Winter Weather Advisory Can Be Issued For A Variety Of Winter Weather Conditions Such As Light Snow... Blowing Snow... Sleet... Freezing Rain... And Extreme Wind Chills

Old 12-25-2008, 07:42 PM

Big Horn County, MT

ALERT 1 - Winter Storm Warning
WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 6 PM MST FRIDAY
Issue Time: 2:18PM MST, Thursday Dec 25, 2008
Valid Until: 5:00AM MST, Friday Dec 26, 2008
Back to summary

WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 6 PM MST FRIDAY
UNTIL 5:00AM MST
Urgent - Winter Weather Message National Weather Service Billings MT 218 PM MST Thu Dec 25 2008

Southern Big Horn-Sheridan Foothills- Including The Cities Of... Pryor... Lodge Grass... Sheridan

... Winter Storm Warning In Effect From Midnight Tonight To 6 PM MST Friday...

The National Weather Service In Billings Has Issued A Winter Storm Warning For Heavy Snow And Blowing Snow... Which Is In Effect From Midnight Tonight To 6 PM MST Friday.

Northwest Winds Of 20 To 30 Mph And Snow Accumulations Of 4 To 7 Inches Will Cause Dangerous Conditions Late Tonight Through Friday Evening. Widespread Visibilities Below A Half Mile... With Whiteout Conditions At Times Will Be The Result Of The Snow And Winds. People Planning Travel On Interstate 90 From Lodge Grass To Sheridan Should Be Prepared For Very Hazardous Driving Conditions.

A Winter Storm Warning Means Significant Amounts Of Snow... Sleet... And Ice Are Expected Or Occurring. Strong Winds Are Also Possible. This Will Make Travel Very Hazardous Or Impossible.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:48 AM

Exclamation Here we go again!

Mtz003-271915-
/o.upg.kmso.ww.y.0021.081228t0000z-081229t0000z/
/o.exa.kmso.ws.w.0019.081227t1800z-081229t0000z/
flathead/mission valleys-
407 am mst sat dec 27 2008
...winter storm warning in effect from 11 am this morning to 5 pm
mst sunday...

The national weather service in missoula has issued a winter
storm warning for heavy snow...which is in effect from 11 am this
morning to 5 pm mst sunday. The winter weather advisory is no
longer in effect.

Most areas can expect to see 4 to 8 inches of total snowfall...
With local areas in the northern flathead valley up to 12 inches
by sunday afternoon. Travel will be impacted by this storm.

A winter storm warning means significant amounts of snow...
Blowing snow...or freezing rain are expected or occurring. Strong
winds and dangerous wind chills are also possible. This will
make travel very hazardous or impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana