Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 06:10 PM

171 posts, read 880,658 times

Advertisements

ROAD TRIP...Please Help: I need to know your Top 5 (or so) fun places to visit your great state. We will be traveling by car and have three kids, ages 11, 8, and 6. Might be bringing the dog too.

Any good ideas of the "must sees". We love all types of things indoor and outdoor, nature, adventure, etc..... Plan to travel, end of July - beginning of August. We are starting from southern CA and trying to see parts of NV, UT, ID, MT and Northern CA.

And yes, I know it's crazy! hee hee
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 08:03 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,090,189 times
Be sure to check out "The House Of Mystery" and if you're an animal lover or animal rights activist you'll just love the "Drive Thru The Bears". Browning is a lovely town to visit. You can get a great bargain on trinkets at the 10,000 Silver Dollar Bar and be sure to visit the Town Of Hot Springs. Go to the tribal hot spring pool and watch guys make out or sit in the hot mineral water while the proprietor sits in there with you while he shaves !

Welcome to Montana !

Old 06-15-2009, 09:06 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,307,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Be sure to check out "The House Of Mystery" and if you're an animal lover or animal rights activist you'll just love the "Drive Thru The Bears". Browning is a lovely town to visit. You can get a great bargain on trinkets at the 10,000 Silver Dollar Bar and be sure to visit the Town Of Hot Springs. Go to the tribal hot spring pool and watch guys make out or sit in the hot mineral water while the proprietor sits in there with you while he shaves !

Welcome to Montana !
Dude !!! shame on you...

Had me going there for a minute with the Vortex place and the 600# black bears. But ya... Browning would be one of my top 5 visits too...

Hot Springs... that would rank up there too. Kids would love both of those places and what goes on there that's for sure

I'm as bad as you...

Old 06-15-2009, 10:08 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,090,189 times
Hot Springs used to be known as "Pot Springs" ! Now we call it " I need another SHOT Springs" and we aren't talking about the kind of shot that comes in a shot glass ! Kind of a pity because there really are a lot of really nice folks there ---------------------NOT !!!
I am not joking about the hot tubs. That stuff really does go on there. The old tribal tub used to be free and unattended but the tribe closed it and opened another one that is attended and costs a few bucks to soak. They kept finding broken glass, syringes and turds in the old tub. Lovely, isn't it ?

To the OP I would suggest just driving here and play it by ear and see where the road takes you. You may be biting off more than you can chew with those ambitious travel plans. Once you get to Montana you'll wish you planned for a 3 month vacation just in Montana.

Last edited by Rickers; 06-15-2009 at 10:17 PM..

Old 06-15-2009, 10:51 PM

9,884 posts, read 11,000,630 times
The top 5...
Hmmm....
Glacier National Park (logan Pass)
The Charlie Russell Museum in Great Falls.
The Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center in Great Falls.
The Charlie Russell Chew Choo (a train ride from Lewistown to Great Falls and back)
The National Bison Range at Moise.
The Museum of the Plains Indian at Browning
Last Chance Gulch in Helena, including the Capitol and the Cathedral
The Fort Missoula Army Museum in Missoula
Hungry Horse Dam near Hungry Horse
I know, that's more than 5. Pick the 5 that seems more your style.
Have a good trip!

Old 06-16-2009, 06:02 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,696,275 times
You may not have cell service in some areas, so plan for that.
Have fun.
Here is a great site.
http://visitmt.com/

Last edited by Mt-7; 06-16-2009 at 06:06 AM.. Reason: add link

Old 06-16-2009, 10:41 AM

155 posts, read 715,663 times
K on a serious note, go north on I15 then when you get to I 90 go west to Missoula (I'd stay there one night), then North to Kalispell, Run up to Glacier spend some time there (1-2 days), then run down through GF-Helena-Butte (stay in GF or Helena). Go east on I90 down to Bozeman/Livingston (stay there) then head south to Yellowstone through Gardiner. Come through the Park to Cooke City, then take the Beartooth pass down to RedLodge (stay there or if you like make your way to Laurel/Billings about 1hr further) . When in Billings (largest city) then head east if you want to get a view of the other side of the State, or if you want you can go back west on I90 then hit I15 out of Butte and run south home. Deffinately think hitting Glacier and Yellowstone would be worth it. Beartooth Pass (Highway 212 is a hell of a drive), probably one of the prettiest in the state. Might be more travel than can be accomplished but would be worth it.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:56 PM

239 posts, read 688,652 times
A possible drive from the Glacier area would be to take HW83 south through the Swan Valley, HW200 east through Lincoln, and then HW434 south to Interstate15. It may not be the Beartooth Highway, but is a very beautiful drive.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:28 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,192,905 times
Medicine Rocks south of Baker, I enjoyed the afternoon here last month. I drove my parents down to visit my brother in Baker. Took a side trip down here.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:16 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,696,275 times
Awesome photos Warp! Love the strata in the rock. Thanks for posting. Maybe we should start a Montana photo thread, lots of folks here have great shots to share?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana