Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 08:23 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,069,265 times

Advertisements

I don't think our town's Barney or Andy will allow me to own that many dogs and I would violate town law running them down the 1 1/2 blocks and across the state highway to the store. Nice pics though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 10:20 PM

8,088 posts, read 15,163,899 times
Nah, you only need one or two dogs to pull a wheeled cart, and far's I know it should be legal anywhere a pedestrian or snowmobile is. Or for that matter a horse and buggy. (Come to think of it, some places require a car lic. plate on buggies!)

Old 02-01-2010, 05:56 AM

475 posts, read 1,498,968 times
I think the dog food would probably cost more than the gas to drive to the store.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:20 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,069,265 times
I'm walking or biking as much as I can. I just have a tough time justifying warming up a rig and using up fuel for a three block trip even in the summer.
I will have my tricycle one way or another, heck I could build one from scratch, I have a mig welder and enough machine tools to do it but the time it would take would not be worth the bother.
I may just out-fit my Nishiki with removable saddle bags and reliable ice tires and wear a bigger backpack. I see other folks riding bicycles on ice in the winter so I guess if they can do it so can I.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:01 AM

475 posts, read 1,498,968 times
There was a story on the news a few months ago about a guy who notorized a bar stool with parts from a riding lawn mower. Seems he had lost his license for D.U.I.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:39 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,405,498 times
Rickers ~~ can you get a small trailer for the back of your bike? I know it won't help you out now in the weather. Just sayin....

Old 02-01-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
I'm walking or biking as much as I can. I just have a tough time justifying warming up a rig and using up fuel for a three block trip even in the summer.
I will have my tricycle one way or another, heck I could build one from scratch, I have a mig welder and enough machine tools to do it but the time it would take would not be worth the bother.
I may just out-fit my Nishiki with removable saddle bags and reliable ice tires and wear a bigger backpack. I see other folks riding bicycles on ice in the winter so I guess if they can do it so can I.
Yeah, sometimes I'd walk into Belgrade cuz it didn't seem worth firing up the truck (and that one bad winter, chaining up to get to the highway) if I didn't plan to pack home anything weightier than the mail or a can of something for dinner. That was when Lee & Dad's was still on east Main, tho. I didn't have a bike at the time, or I'd have used it. I rode a bike a couple winters in Bozeman, and lived to tell of it.. and yes in winter I think it IS uphill both ways to MSU!

Occurs to me that for winter biking, old-fashioned training wheels might be a good idea -- then at least if you slew sideways on ice, you won't roll over. Same effect as a trike, but less mass to pedal around. You could probably weld extenders onto training wheel mounts (gonna be too short for a fullsized bike) and use the top surface to brace a regular bike basket that goes over the rear wheels (those are great, lemme tellya) so it could handle more weight.

And remember.. on ice, never ever not EVER touch those front brakes, if you do you'll be sorry!!

Old 02-02-2010, 04:45 PM

519 posts, read 1,377,654 times
I say snowmobile. LOL I know not that doesn't help the cost either, and I am sure that Barney and Andy would approve either, but its fun.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:04 PM

I've seen snowmobiles cruising around Great Falls (tho never Bozeman) but they were fairly newfangled back then... anyone know what regulations they fall under? Seems to me they'd be just right for short hops around a snow-buried town.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:24 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
I've seen snowmobiles cruising around Great Falls (tho never Bozeman) but they were fairly newfangled back then... anyone know what regulations they fall under? Seems to me they'd be just right for short hops around a snow-buried town.
If it's bad enough that you have to use a snowmobile to get around, don't worry, the police can't chase you down unless then have them too. So keep voting down new appropriations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana