Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 02:22 PM

19,778 posts, read 22,673,762 times

Advertisements

Trying ot get my list of priorities together for when I move to the Helena area in a few weeks. Top of the list- I need to find a good barber. No stylists or uni-sex shops, just a plain, striped pole on the door small barber. I'm a high and tight, wash n go type of guy and it's getting harder and harder (around here) to find a barber that still knows how to use a razor.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 07:59 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,582,712 times
There are still a couple of barbers in town, one isn't bad but he keeps moving around so I am never sure where he is from one week to the next.

The other, and the one I used for several years is located at the intersection of 11th and Roberts, just down from the Capitol building. (He is about 2 blocks north of the capitol building, but in Helena the south side is the high side on the mountains and north is downhill until you hit the north hills on the far side of the valley).

He does a good "High and Tight" as his son is a Navy SEAL.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:38 AM

Perfect.

Now I need to find a reputable FFL to store my long guns when I get there. No way am I going to store them in a 'shared' house while I'm at work.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:38 AM

8,090 posts, read 15,163,899 times
Do any of the gun shops offer locked storage for private guns? If not, and if the liability costs aren't too high, that sounds like it could be a good side business for a few dollars a month per customer.

You'd laugh at my barbering... being a cheap bugger, I do it myself. My hair is so thick and fine it clogs a clipper, so it's all scissor work. I grab a handful, and anything that sticks out, I cut off! You've been warned.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:07 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,582,712 times
I don't know of any of the FFL stores here that offer that service. I saw it down in New Orleans, and it may be a good idea for a store to offer it, I just don't know how much demand there would be for it.

I checked out the local rag last night and was amazed that there are some pretty decent rental houses and apartments being advertised.
2 bedroom house w/2 car garage and fenced yard for $650 isn't that bad!

Old 03-25-2010, 10:20 AM

There is a house in Clancy with a basement efficiency (furnished) for less than $500 a month. They'll let me drop my 7x14 cargo trailer too.

I may (may) try to move my gun safe in that trailer.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
I don't know of any of the FFL stores here that offer that service. I saw it down in New Orleans, and it may be a good idea for a store to offer it, I just don't know how much demand there would be for it.
Probably more demand in areas where houses get broken into with the express intent of stealing guns. Which I doubt describes too much of MT. Still, would be good for roommate situations and the like, if only to prevent "misunderstandings" and your stuff "walking with Jesus", since you've not only got to trust the roommate, you're also forced to trust all the roommate's friends.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:08 AM

The Jarhead Officers Club some funny pictures

For do-it-yourselfers: How to Give a High and Tight Haircut | eHow.com

Old 03-25-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Probably more demand in areas where houses get broken into with the express intent of stealing guns. Which I doubt describes too much of MT. Still, would be good for roommate situations and the like, if only to prevent "misunderstandings" and your stuff "walking with Jesus", since you've not only got to trust the roommate, you're also forced to trust all the roommate's friends.
Exactly. It's not that I'm distrusting of others, but I certainly wan't to remove any temptation.

Everything I have with the exception of 2 or 3 firearms are all family hand-downs. They may not be worth anything to others, but they are to me.

I did find one shop in town that said they would lock them up for $10 a month. Not bad.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:15 PM

That's like my family's guns. Collectively probably worth about two cents to the world, but worth a lot more to us, just because they've been in the family for 2 or 3 generations (some maybe longer). I'd hate to lose them if only for their personal history with us, even tho most haven't been fired in 40 or 50 years.

My usin' share is a crappy old Monkey Wards 20 ga. shotgun -- it's as simple as they come and ain't nothin' much as a gun, and I'm told it has a top retail value of about 50 bucks, but it fits my arm and feels right (good balance for me), so I like it too much to ever give it up.

$10 a month seems reasonable enough for secure lockup, glad you found someone to do it. Which shop is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
View detailed profiles of: