U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-03-2010, 09:19 PM
 
4 posts, read 8,757 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

My wife and I are in our late 20's and we are looking into a few places out west to make a move to once I graduate next year. First, let me tell you why Montana and other neighboring states interests me:
1) lower population density
2) Independent people who don't blame someone or something for their sorry state of affairs and who then vote for politicians who pander to them
3) Getting as far away from the illegal immigration problem here in Austin which is nothing short of a sanctuary city that has become infested with violent Mexican gangs. It has gotten much worse in just the 4 years I have been here

I could list more reasons, but I won't bore you with them. My degree is in Finance so I know that I will be taking a chance and giving up plenty of job opportunities here by making a move to a much smaller city like Billings, but I feel it is worth it. My biggest question is concerning job opportunities for someone like myself. Banking, corporate finance, and financial advising would be jobs most specific to a finance degree, but I would take just about any job upon first getting out there even if it is outside of the financial realm of work.

I am also looking at Boise and Bozeman at this point.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-04-2010, 01:11 AM
 
662 posts, read 937,705 times
Reputation: 829
Billings is probably just right for you. It is about 130,000 in the metro area. The economy is relatively immune from the serious ups and downs of the national economy. The job market here is the best in the state. Politically, it is right of center, but is becoming more broadly representative every year. Bozeman is about 1/3 the size of Billings. It is a college town, and the job market is extremely tight. Many people working for minimal wages. Beautiful place to live, but you won't find the opportunities there unless you can to start your own business, and succeed in making a go of it. Boise is a very nice town. About twice the size of Billings. However, it will fail your #2 criterion. Its population is very receptive to the shrill appeal of pandering politicians like Sarah Palin and her ilk; blaming everything on others from blaming the President (Bush or Obama) for the ills that befall America to blaming lawyers for incompetent doctors, or immigrants and the less fortunate for underfunded social services. Montana has two US senators and a governor who hail from agricultiural backgrounds (one is from a longtime Montana sheepranching family, the other an organic farmer from northcentral Montana). Our governor is a farmer from central Montana, also. Idaho,on the other hand, has the dubious distinction of having elected a senator who scorned gays for leading to the downfall of our moral structure, but, himself, gets arrested for soliciting gay sex in a public bathroom. No room in Montana for hypocrites like that. We'd love to see you move here to Billings!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2010, 11:56 AM
 
4 posts, read 8,757 times
Reputation: 10
Thanks Sky. My number 2 criteria was more targeted at big city liberals than anything else who aren't happy with just living their lives accordingly and who constantly want to dictate how everyone else should live. I don't mind the rural Democrats who lean less to the far left because that's what I grew up around in the south even though my family was Republican. But down here in Austin I can't even go to school with a conservative bumper sticker without being harassed by these yuppies who claim to be so tolerant. I'm sure liberals get harassed in conservative towns too so its a two way street. My thing is let me be and I'll let you be. If we disagree we disagree, but don't force your beliefs and lifestyle onto me and try to cram it down my throat....I'm not saying this at you, just making a general statement. That's what appeals to me about the West because there seems to be more mutual respect for others in my experience. I have lived in the deep south, Arizona, Hawaii, and now Texas and the upper west has by far the best people which is why I want to move up there....and for the scenery
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2010, 05:00 PM
 
Location: Moscow
2,085 posts, read 3,053,966 times
Reputation: 2555
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky1949 View Post
Idaho,on the other hand, has the dubious distinction of having elected a senator who scorned gays for leading to the downfall of our moral structure, but, himself, gets arrested for soliciting gay sex in a public bathroom. No room in Montana for hypocrites like that. We'd love to see you move here to Billings!

No room in Idaho either. That was the end of Larry Craigs political career.

If you're going to tell a story you should tell its conclusion.

I also differ with your Boise and Idaho political descriptions. However, this is a thread about Billings, so I won't get into that. Suffice it to say that both are very conservative states, and both are GREAT places to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2010, 10:38 PM
 
662 posts, read 937,705 times
Reputation: 829
jdp- I.m biased, but I think Billings would be a dsdrable palce for you and your family. Lots of banks here, and new ones being buuilt, as we speak! Boise is probably the same; I just don't know.

Keim you're correct. He didn't continue in office. Is he out of office because of being a hypocrite or because he's gay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2010, 11:03 PM
 
Location: Moscow
2,085 posts, read 3,053,966 times
Reputation: 2555
To venture a guess either way would be useless conjecture, sky1949.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2010, 03:33 PM
 
2,727 posts, read 5,127,928 times
Reputation: 1936
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky1949 View Post
Billings is probably just right for you. It is about 130,000 in the metro area. The economy is relatively immune from the serious ups and downs of the national economy. The job market here is the best in the state. Politically, it is right of center, but is becoming more broadly representative every year. Bozeman is about 1/3 the size of Billings. It is a college town, and the job market is extremely tight. Many people working for minimal wages. Beautiful place to live, but you won't find the opportunities there unless you can to start your own business, and succeed in making a go of it. Boise is a very nice town. About twice the size of Billings. However, it will fail your #2 criterion. Its population is very receptive to the shrill appeal of pandering politicians like Sarah Palin and her ilk; blaming everything on others from blaming the President (Bush or Obama) for the ills that befall America to blaming lawyers for incompetent doctors, or immigrants and the less fortunate for underfunded social services. Montana has two US senators and a governor who hail from agricultiural backgrounds (one is from a longtime Montana sheepranching family, the other an organic farmer from northcentral Montana). Our governor is a farmer from central Montana, also. Idaho,on the other hand, has the dubious distinction of having elected a senator who scorned gays for leading to the downfall of our moral structure, but, himself, gets arrested for soliciting gay sex in a public bathroom. No room in Montana for hypocrites like that. We'd love to see you move here to Billings!


You are way off about politics in Boise. For either good or bad, however you look at it, Boise is more Democrat than Republican, and I would venture to say Boise is far more liberal than any town or small city in Montana.
One thing for jdp8883 to consider is that Boise is much larger than the other cities listed, there are almost as many people in the extended Boise Metro Trade Area as there are in the entire state of Montana. I see on a daily basis many autos in Boise with Montana plates so those Montanans must be heading West for the good life Billings is a nice town, you might need to visit your choices to get a better feel for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2016, 07:20 PM
 
51 posts, read 23,021 times
Reputation: 26
Good question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2016, 09:36 PM
 
Location: Montana
387 posts, read 358,223 times
Reputation: 678
We were just in Boise, and it is incredible how developed the area is. One of the suburbs is bigger than our city here in MT. I do like Idaho, but that area is just overwhelmed with people and development now, and it doesn't seem like it was done in a very wise way. If you can get out of town there is neat stuff, but it takes so long.

They are pretty liberal in Boise. They just had a huge gay pride/Orlando support thing. I think the city is pretty progressive socially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2016, 10:47 PM
 
Location: North Dakota
7,673 posts, read 8,968,135 times
Reputation: 11010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdp8883 View Post
Thanks Sky. My number 2 criteria was more targeted at big city liberals than anything else who aren't happy with just living their lives accordingly and who constantly want to dictate how everyone else should live. I don't mind the rural Democrats who lean less to the far left because that's what I grew up around in the south even though my family was Republican. But down here in Austin I can't even go to school with a conservative bumper sticker without being harassed by these yuppies who claim to be so tolerant. I'm sure liberals get harassed in conservative towns too so its a two way street. My thing is let me be and I'll let you be. If we disagree we disagree, but don't force your beliefs and lifestyle onto me and try to cram it down my throat....I'm not saying this at you, just making a general statement. That's what appeals to me about the West because there seems to be more mutual respect for others in my experience. I have lived in the deep south, Arizona, Hawaii, and now Texas and the upper west has by far the best people which is why I want to move up there....and for the scenery
I noticed in many years of living in Montana that there is a small (but very loud and vocal) minority of conservatives who let their opinions be known of how everyone should live. The other extreme is present in Montana, although it's not the whole populace by any means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top