Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 07:37 AM

8 posts, read 10,256 times

Advertisements

I am not sure my wife's parents would appreciate being referred to as such...but when we told them the news, they replied that they would follow us. They are post-retirement and were abut to down-size out of their town home anyway.

SO, not just the missus that is going to be wary of the cold, but now we have a couple of semi-elderly grandparents thrown into the mix.

From the replies to my previous post, sounds like Great Falls is not going to make the list, due to the wind. I still love Bozeman and thought it would be a better choice from us as CA refugees. Question now is, would it be suitable for Grandma and Grandpa?

They have both spent serious time in cold and snow from their time in Spokanne. not sure if they are anxious to repeat that. They are reasonable and will settle for a reasonable choice when it comes to moving.

I know it's an over-broad question, but any gut feelings will be appreciated!

This is one of the best forums I've been on, by the way, in terms of information and the friendliness of the replies. Thanks!

RD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 07:57 AM

649 posts, read 1,769,503 times
i lived in coeur d'alene which is about 40 mins east of spokane so know that area well; bozeman gets a zillion times more snow then spokane and is colder but one saving grace is that it's a dryer cold then spokane so you don't "feel" it as harshly as the cold in spokane. but to be a cheer leader again for billings let me just point out that billings has a much older population due to the highest concentration of medical facilities for all of the rocky mountain states beside denver anyway. so it attracts a lot of retired people. one area popular near billings for california refugees is red lodge.....it's sorta a mini-resort type town in the mountains with a ski lift and hi real estate values....it's about 40 mins southwest of billings...... might want to check it out...it's an up and comming mini-kalispell i think. bozeman is a cool town and besides the weather i think you'd like it.......the first time i drove through i immediatly thought of the laguna negal area around san diego. looks like the same construction company who built half of san diego came to montana and built up bozeman.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:25 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,072,643 times
You mentioned Spokane as having "serious cold" Last fall we were about an hour north of G.F. and we got 31 degrees below zero Fahrenheit three weeks before winter even started. That is serious cold !
You aren't going to see winter temps like in Fairbanks Alaska but if the folks want to tag along why not ? They may be spending a lot of time in your nice warm house anyway. If they can't hack it they can always go somewhere warmer can't they ?
You may want to consider places like Kalispell or Missoula, the weather in these areas is nice but less sunny than the east side. The cold arctic air masses that make places like G.F. so frigid at times in the winter doesn't always spill over the divide.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:48 AM

8 posts, read 10,256 times
Default serious cold!

My sister married a man from Montreal, whom she met while in med school there. He still laughs when we say the word 'weather' in San Diego!

I am more confident after this morning's searching that GF is just not a realistic choice. For me, hell yes, but there is no "ME" in 'family"!

Looking at Bozeman listings this morning. Anyone with knowledge of the area, I would appreciate an overview of the surrounding towns. Real estate seems to be a lot cheaper and have a lot more elbow room outside of town (no surprise there). But I have no idea abut how far or isolated these places might be, or what the schooling entails (busing? Mom's taxi?)

'Four Corners' pops up a lot on the MLS.....

Thanks!

RD

Old 05-13-2010, 09:10 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,981,966 times
IIRC, "Four Corners" is the junction of Hwy. 287 and I-90, some distance West of Bozeman.
It would seem it is time for you to get a good Montana map, and do some research.
School will depend on where you locate, and where the school is. It may simply entail walking to school, or Mom's taxi, or bussing. chances are, if it is any distance to the school, a school bus will be available.
Keep in mind that in most areas of Montana there is little or no "public transportation", and in towns where there is bus service (like Billings) it often does not match your schedule so it just isn't practical to use it! Such transportation services almost always stop at the city limits, so there is NO service to outlying areas.
I strongly recommend as soon as possible, make a trip to Bozeman and spend a week or more exploring. this will give you a feel for the area, and show you the distances involved.
Good luck in your search.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:35 AM

369 posts, read 1,455,278 times
I hate to bust your bubble, but the weather in Bozeman is not far off of that in Great Falls, a little less wind perhaps but winter lasts a month longer and comes a month sooner than on the West side of the Divide.

I believe if Montana is your place and a good fit for your in-laws, (doesn't sound like it to me really), you'd better check out Missoula, Hamilton, Polson Whitefish and Kalispell.

Missoula is much warmer with less snow in the valley than Bozeman. Hamilton is actually a bit warmer in Winter. Whitefish is a bit trendy and expensive. Polson's only disadvantage involves the bureaucracy of the Indian Reservation that creeps into many local issues. Kalispell is Kalispell.

You need a map and do some ground recon.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:21 PM

836 posts, read 1,493,302 times
I live in Missoula and, while it tends to not be as cold here as other parts of the state, winter is still pretty harsh. We had a below-zero cold snap to get us started in October, and spring has just gotten going within the last couple weeks. The leaves on the maples in my yard came out just this week. Winter here is loooooong! This is my fifth winter here and I think it's been extreme, though not necessarily out of the norm.

Montana is beautiful and I have enjoyed living here quite a bit. But I would not recommend moving here to anyone who is not "into" winter and winter recreation -- skiing, snowboarding and such.

Just my opinion!

Old 05-13-2010, 12:36 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,878,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Danneskjold View Post
They have both spent serious time in cold and snow from their time in Spokanne. not sure if they are anxious to repeat that. They are reasonable and will settle for a reasonable choice when it comes to moving. RD
Anyone that thinks Spokane is "Serious" cold would not enjoy Montana winters. Spokane rarely dives below zero, hardly ever stays that way, and when it does that is the days low. The high temperature will usually be above zero. Most of Montana will have weeks of below zero weather, without ever going above zero. I experienced highs of 50 below in MT!

Not that you asked, but here is my two cents: Find the place you and the spouse want to live. If the parents want to come, that is up to them. When the day is done it is your wife and yourself that you need to satisfy.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:27 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,072,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzfan View Post
Polsons only disadvantage involves the bureaucracy of the Indian Reservation that creeps into many local issues.
Being a white guy living on the Flathead Reservation for many many years now, I have to say that the advantages of living on the rez far outweigh any minor disadvantages due to tribal bureaucracy.
I like what the tribes are doing to restore the Jocko river to its original channel. (Some local ranchers affected may not share my view.) I also like the fact that they don't allow commercial outfitters to work the rez and that makes for peaceful recreation and uncrowded river floats.

This "Big Mac" didn't come from McD's, it came out of Flathead Lake and this isn't even a monster. About half the lake is on the rez and a permit is needed to fish the southern half.
The Montana FWP netted one over 90 pounds once. Polson is also just within that arid rain shadow zone caused by the Cabinet, Coeur D'Alene and Bitterroot mountain ranges so the area looks a bit more open than it does up near Kalispell or down by Missoula.

No crowds while hiking. Photo taken in the "Little Money Sheep Area"

No crowds while fishing. This river is packed with Small-mouth Bass.

I think a recreation permit for non tribal members who live on the rez is $10 per year. (that does not include hunting or fishing stamps.)
I moved off the rez just for a change of scenery and to renovate a recently purchased building to get it rented out but I still own property on the rez.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:41 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,681,199 times
OP you might want to remind them that there are lots of orthopedic injuries here because of the ice and snow.
For a retiree, medical care is an important issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana