Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 04:47 PM

15 posts, read 67,368 times

Advertisements

My family is looking to move from South Florida to somewhere cooler, less humid and mosquito-free! Since Missoula has so many beautiful rivers and lakes in the area-- are mosquitoes or other biting bugs a problem? I lived in Northern Arizona as a kid and know that mosquitoes were very rare-- but it's also very dry there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 08:29 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,479,231 times
yep
but they go away or thin out after the hatch. the biggy for us is the deer fly's them suckers hurt

Old 06-12-2009, 11:57 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,076,006 times
Here in North Central Montana Mosquitoes are an all summer long problem in and near the irrigated grain fields. Parts of western Montana have major yellow jacket wasp problems as well as grasshopper infestations. Then there are the occasional large black hornet swarms. Western Montana valleys can get humid and hotter than heck but all one has to do is go up into the mountains for less hot and humid air. The folks from really hot and humid states will scoff at our humidity but it can be bothersome in the western valleys at times. One thing that many folks don't seem to know about is all the poison ivy along many of Montana's riverbanks.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:26 PM

8,090 posts, read 15,173,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
One thing that many folks don't seem to know about is all the poison ivy along many of Montana's riverbanks.
Lots of fun to be had with greenhorns if you happen to be one of those lucky enough to be immune to it... inherited that from my dad.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:42 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,240,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Lots of fun to be had with greenhorns if you happen to be one of those lucky enough to be immune to it... inherited that from my dad.
I once used the stuff as TP!!

Old 06-12-2009, 10:42 PM

120 posts, read 378,637 times
Quote:
One thing that many folks don't seem to know about is all the poison ivy along many of Montana's riverbanks.
You should always be looking out for that (and poison oak), especially if you are in unfamiliar territory. "Leaves of three, let it be".

Old 06-12-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I once used the stuff as TP!!

I note the use of the word "once"..... I sure hope it wasn't "twice".

Old 06-13-2009, 01:54 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,240,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
I note the use of the word "once"..... I sure hope it wasn't "twice".
I'm a fast learner and I do learn from history.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:09 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,076,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodderman View Post
You should always be looking out for that (and poison oak), especially if you are in unfamiliar territory. "Leaves of three, let it be".
Montana supposedly also has two types of poison sumac. I never seem to see that stuff and it does not have "leaves of three"
About the insects, Montana also has chiggers and no-see-ums. No-see-ums are a (gnat) that carries livestock and wildlife diseases including bluetongue. Chiggers and no-seeums are very small, aboutthe size of a dot from a ballpoint pen. The chiggers are very unusual in that the adult is an arachnid where as in the juvenile stage it only has six legs. Insects have six legs and arachnids (spider family) has eight legs. Very strange bugs and nasty too.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Montana supposedly also has two types of poison sumac. I never seem to see that stuff and it does not have "leaves of three"
About the insects, Montana also has chiggers and no-see-ums. No-see-ums are a (gnat) that carries livestock and wildlife diseases including bluetongue. Chiggers and no-seeums are very small, aboutthe size of a dot from a ballpoint pen. The chiggers are very unusual in that the adult is an arachnid where as in the juvenile stage it only has six legs. Insects have six legs and arachnids (spider family) has eight legs. Very strange bugs and nasty too.
Used to see sumac up toward Glacier (we have a cabin near Essex), tho one year there was an eradication project, because of being a forest fire area and how nasty the smoke is when sumac burns -- dunno what happened re that.

Never encountered chiggers in the dryland areas, but I sure did learn not to sleep on the lovely lush grass west of the divide, specifically outside of Moscow, Idaho... those things BURROW into your skin and ITCH like nothing else!! Supposedly you can suffocate 'em by dotting their little "volcanos" with nail polish, but this proved a dubious cure at best.

A much better cure was a plastic bedsheet between me and the grass ... I was told it came from the booby hatch at Warm Springs. Sure hope it didn't belong to rickers' cousins!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
View detailed profiles of: