Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 12:01 PM

8,220 posts, read 16,721,981 times

Advertisements

I have friends and coworkers who live in Salinas and the nearby areas of Spreckles, Las Palmas and Indian Springs. These last three are very nice areas with some exclusive homes, etc... I even thought about moving to Las Palmas with family recently.

But that said the city Salinas itself does have significant crime issues mainly related to gang activity. While most of this is gang on gang violence there can be collateral damage - Ppl shot who were mistaken for gang members, etc... I was just listening to the local news reporting on the cities new homicide record it broke at 27 now. And there are many other crimes which occur. The Salinas Chief of Police was just on air stating how they recieved over 450 calls in one day and unfortunately couldn't respond to all of them because most of their men were addressing these homicides. He also was stating that he is under staffed and appologized for not responding to police calls for help.

I am not saying Salinas doesn't have its good aspects. But the crime is something which is an issue and does effects its residents. Does that mean I wouldn't go there to shop or drive the streets? Not necessarily. But if I can avoid living there with my family I will. Of course there is crime everywhere. It is just more concentrated in some regions and neighborhoods.

BTW, I met the Salinas Fire Chief and he strongly encouraged me to not live in the city of Salinas. Of course he admitted to seeing things from a different angle than some since the fire dept. is usually one of the first responders to the scene of accidents and crimes. But he does see the underbelly which most don't even think about when they walk their particular neighborhoods without worry.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 12-11-2009 at 12:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 05:15 PM

681 posts, read 2,914,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
.......I am not saying Salinas doesn't have its good aspects. But the crime is something which is an issue and does effects its residents. Does that mean I wouldn't go there to shop or drive the streets? Not necessarily. But if I can avoid living there with my family I will. Of course there is crime everywhere. It is just more concentrated in some regions and neighborhoods..........Derek
Fair comment, imo, but I do think you overate the risk factor of ancillary blowback from potential gang activity. But that might just be me.

What I found interesting earlier this week is that a national ranking site [which I can't name on this forum] ranked Salinas far higher [165 out of 384 cities total across the nation] than most other small and medium cities in California. [Obviously some cities in other states were higher]. SLO was an exception and there might have been a few others, but by and large they considered everything - including the crime - and still thought fairly well of the city. As do I. We do have problems. And a weird fire chief may be one of them. [btw, the peninsula cities are too small to be included in the ranking index, even when two or three were combined].

Currently the tax-payers have revolted against the city council for becoming lackey's of the employee unions, to the budget's detriment, by votng down a tax increase proposal. That's one reason the new police chief is belly-aching and the fire chief is looking to retire.

But there is good news, too. My 48 square block area of the city reorganized our neighborhood watch about six months ago and in the process cut our burglary rate from 4 per month pre-watch to zero ovor the last four months. We have an active citizen's patrol and have taken some powerful and positive steps to take back our neighborhoods. The police chief and mayor want us to "clone" our process to several other neighborhoods, but that may or may not happen. It takes people willing to spend some time.

Good hearing from you again. Cheers

Old 12-11-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayOutYonder View Post
Thanks for replying, Franklyn. You're off base on several counts. ..........
Thanks for clarifying. Yes I did assume too much. Mea culpa. And thanks for the kind words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayOutYonder View Post
And I have worked as an eligibility worker in Salinas-- I have experience with the homeless. I can safely say that Salinas' homeless seem to be ruder and have more mental issues than those I have encountered in other places........
I will bow to your professional experience. My church is involved in I-Help, which you probably are aware of, in which we feed and shelter a busload of homeless men one night a month, and those particular men seem to be pretty run-of-the-mill homeless to me - and my ex-cop experience from another railroad town - but I don't get as close to them anymore as you have so I will defer to your judgment.

You probably need to convince your employer to open up a South Salinas location so you can get back to "normal".

Cheers

Old 12-11-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post
Fair comment, imo, but I do think you overate the risk factor of ancillary blowback from potential gang activity. But that might just be me.

What I found interesting earlier this week is that a national ranking site [which I can't name on this forum] ranked Salinas far higher [165 out of 384 cities total across the nation] than most other small and medium cities in California. [Obviously some cities in other states were higher]. SLO was an exception and there might have been a few others, but by and large they considered everything - including the crime - and still thought fairly well of the city. As do I. We do have problems. And a weird fire chief may be one of them. [btw, the peninsula cities are too small to be included in the ranking index, even when two or three were combined].

Currently the tax-payers have revolted against the city council for becoming lackey's of the employee unions, to the budget's detriment, by votng down a tax increase proposal. That's one reason the new police chief is belly-aching and the fire chief is looking to retire.

But there is good news, too. My 48 square block area of the city reorganized our neighborhood watch about six months ago and in the process cut our burglary rate from 4 per month pre-watch to zero ovor the last four months. We have an active citizen's patrol and have taken some powerful and positive steps to take back our neighborhoods. The police chief and mayor want us to "clone" our process to several other neighborhoods, but that may or may not happen. It takes people willing to spend some time.

Good hearing from you again. Cheers
Glad to hear it Franklin. Its refreshing to hear residents who are actually trying to make a difference and effecting a change for the better instead of just rolling over.

One of the thing with Salinas is that there are so many nice looking neighborhoods. But many ppl in the area are simply affraid to move in there. So prices remain relatively low/affordable for Monterey County. It would be great to see things turn around more. We have young families working for the DoD on base at Fort Ord. But they have no place where they can afford to buy a home and feel safe. So most choose to rent.

Hopefully the new chief of police can get the support he needs for more resources. My next door neighbor is a CHP who works in Salinas exclusively. Does the Monterey County Sheriff patrol the area as well? Or is that out of their jurisdiction?

When Measure K for more police was voted down it was a blow to those who wanted them.

As I was writing this the local news just reported another homicide today - number 28. Here is the report - Salinas police responding to incident in east Salinas | thecalifornian.com | The Salinas Californian.

And here is a map of the violence which I find interesting. South Salinas definately looks better than North or East.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?sourc...2,1.167297&z=9

BTW, the fire chief I met was not the new one. He gave me his card. But I couldn't find it.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 12-11-2009 at 08:16 PM..

Old 12-12-2009, 07:31 PM

Default Coincidence

Quote:
We have young families working for the DoD on base at Fort Ord. But they have no place where they can afford to buy a home and feel safe. So most choose to rent.

As I was writing this the local news just reported another homicide today - number 28. Here is the report - ..........
Derek
Another coincidence - as I was reading [and now writing] this our friends who live two doors down from the location of #27 on the list you mentioned have stopped in to take a break from their house-hunting trek today. They are scouring the homes available in our extended neighborhood for the best possible value so they can move to a safe location but still not leave Salinas.

Yes, there are a lot of rentals just S. of Blanco and W. of Main, and a great number of the tenants are Dod'ers from the peninsula, just as you mentioned. Also, for the info of your troops' families the three elementary schools in the south end of town, University Park, Mission Park and Monterey Park, by name, are all top schools [my grandson attends one] located in safe neighborhoods and close to Blanco Rd for commute purposes. Buying or renting in that area would not be a risk, imo. Btw, our NW group covers the entire Monterey Park area.

I don't think prop K stood any chance at all based on the city's record in spending the proceeds of a bond issue passed two years earlier. The city did what they said with half the funds, but reneged on the rest. Voters knew it and drew the line. Now if only the rest of the state would do the same with the locusts in Sacramento. But that requires knowledge and courage.

Btw, don't I owe you a cup at Starbucks? Cheers

Old 12-12-2009, 09:39 PM

Franklyn,

Interesting info on the different neighborhoods. Yeah, we'll have to get together sometime, possibly during the lunch hour. Maybe we could meetup in Marina which isn't too far from Fort Ord and grad some food somewhere.

Derek

Old 12-13-2009, 12:32 PM

17,642 posts, read 22,665,622 times
Quote:
Franklyn,

Interesting info on the different neighborhoods. Yeah, we'll have to get together sometime, possibly during the lunch hour. Maybe we could meetup in Marina which isn't too far from Fort Ord and grad some food somewhere.

Derek

Howdy Derek...

My beloved Mom lived in Marina 46 years, toward the back end, off Reindollar Ave. I can't remember her saying she ever had any problems. Mom got along well with everyone...

Across the fence was the Fort Ord housing. My bil lived there for some time. Across from Fritsche Airfield.

Many years ago we lived in Stillwell Park housing off Gigling Road, closer to Seaside when my beloved Dad was in the Army..

I don't know what it's like now.

Have a Great Day Bro.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 3,936 times
Frankly I am hugely disappointed with Salinas crime rate and concerned it will spread further into the surrounding communities in the form of theft and risks associated with it. It has recently affected residents in Toro Park - and my mother who lives there. Several times prowlers have pried her windows at night, or peered in. Neighborhood watch programs are in affect for a reason. People do not feel safe at night in what was once considered to be 'safe zones'. Homicides are projected close to 30 this year.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHSlocal View Post
Frankly I am hugely disappointed with Salinas crime rate ......
Yep, aren't we all? As for the "spreading" effect you mention, you are about 30 years too late on that. Gangs have existed for decades in PG, Seaside, Monterey, Marina and Castroville, so the incidental crime reports you're seeing are more a function of what has been going on for years there, rather than an expansion of the "evil effect" of Salinas. And consider how the county sheriff's budget cuts have affected the 'prowler' rate in Toro Park, for instance. But some 'true believers' who think they live in other, kinder, gentler communities, will likely deny that forever. However, the local cops know.

The one thing I find significant is that Salinas' homicide rate for non-gang-related deaths this year is currently "zero". And to put some perspective on it, Ciudad Juarez - across from El Paso, is ten times the size of Salinas but has a homicide rate a hundred times higher - again mostly gang related. That's nothing to brag about, but allows me to go out shopping tonight without being unduly alarmed - or armed in self defense, either. So it could be worse - and even might be before it gets better.

Cheers

Old 12-17-2009, 09:07 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,702,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Howdy Derek...

My beloved Mom lived in Marina 46 years, toward the back end, off Reindollar Ave. I can't remember her saying she ever had any problems. Mom got along well with everyone...

Across the fence was the Fort Ord housing. My bil lived there for some time. Across from Fritsche Airfield.

Many years ago we lived in Stillwell Park housing off Gigling Road, closer to Seaside when my beloved Dad was in the Army..

I don't know what it's like now.

Have a Great Day Bro.

Hey Hawk, when was the last time you've been in the area? I just visited my old hometown of Marina for the first time in 5 years just a few weeks ago. I had to check out my folks' older house that they rent out to my aunt.

Times certainly have changed since Ford Ord shut down. The local economy that relied heavily on the military families took a hit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County