Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 06:46 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,776,360 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I will be traveling to the Monterey and Santa Cruz area in a month. I'm about 2 and half hrs away, so going to try and make it a day trip.

I have a list of places I want to go that I haven't been to:
-Portola Plaza
-Downtown Monterey (guessing diff than Cannery Row?)
-Del Monte Center
-Downtown Seaside
-Capitola Village (to walk around and see it)
-Santa Cruz Boardwalk (just to walk around and see it)

Where is free parking in Santa Cruz and in the Capitola Village?

I am also traveling by myself. Any recommendations on coffee shops to stop by or places to eat? Any other places I should check out? I've been to the aquarium and Cannery Row before, so Im looking to see some more of the area this time. Also, I will be going in November on a Saturday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 01:09 PM

781 posts, read 745,570 times
I have found free parking on West Cliff Drive in Santa Cruz, usually near the lighthouse.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:42 PM

8,220 posts, read 16,732,556 times
None of the places you mentioned include any nature which I am normally more into. But since your username is 'The City' I assume you are interested in those related things - buildings, stores, restaurants, etc...

For Monterey, yes, downtown is near the Portola Inn. You want to walk Alvarado St. Cafe Trieste on Alvarado is a good place to grab some food. For free parking near downtown Monterey you'll have to walk a few blocks at least. Look near the Monterey Sports Center and the adjacent park (Jacks) off of Adams St. Otherwise use the parking garages between Portola Plaza and the Sports Center.

Other things to do include walking the Wharf in Monterey and if time and interests permit go whale watching.

Personally, I would skip the Del Monte Center unless visiting smallish malls is somehow interesting to you.

Downtown Seaside is pretty much a dud. I'm not sure what one would want to see there - some older, smallish buildings, maybe visit Mi Tierra market, go to Baskin Robins or the auto dealerships?

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 10-08-2014 at 08:17 PM..

Old 10-14-2014, 09:34 AM

643 posts, read 919,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
None of the places you mentioned include any nature which I am normally more into. But since your username is 'The City' I assume you are interested in those related things - buildings, stores, restaurants, etc...

For Monterey, yes, downtown is near the Portola Inn. You want to walk Alvarado St. Cafe Trieste on Alvarado is a good place to grab some food. For free parking near downtown Monterey you'll have to walk a few blocks at least. Look near the Monterey Sports Center and the adjacent park (Jacks) off of Adams St. Otherwise use the parking garages between Portola Plaza and the Sports Center.

Other things to do include walking the Wharf in Monterey and if time and interests permit go whale watching.

Personally, I would skip the Del Monte Center unless visiting smallish malls is somehow interesting to you.

Downtown Seaside is pretty much a dud. I'm not sure what one would want to see there - some older, smallish buildings, maybe visit Mi Tierra market, go to Baskin Robins or the auto dealerships?

Derek
Cafe Trieste is the worst place to eat in old town monterey. I recommend cafe lumiere. Also OP there is no such thing as downtown seaside.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:09 PM

8,220 posts, read 16,732,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California831 View Post
Cafe Trieste is the worst place to eat in old town monterey. I recommend cafe lumiere. Also OP there is no such thing as downtown seaside.
Everyone has their preferences. But many folks do like Cafe Trieste including a number of other locals we know. Just check out the reviews on yelp including the photos for a better sample size than two here. Never tried Cafe Lumiere but it has similar rating on Yelp.

Derek

Old 10-15-2014, 01:40 PM

242 posts, read 494,452 times
If you are coming in for a day trip, I would either stick to Monterey or Santa Cruz. Walking along the coastal trail from Monterey to PG is always beautiful, especially if the wildlife is out (I forget their seasonal timetables). Santa Cruz has a more vibrant downtown area.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:45 PM

75 posts, read 154,913 times
Seek out the Fishwife in Seaside. Excellent seafood in a place frequented by Locals.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:55 PM

643 posts, read 919,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Everyone has their preferences. But many folks do like Cafe Trieste including a number of other locals we know. Just check out the reviews on yelp including the photos for a better sample size than two here. Never tried Cafe Lumiere but it has similar rating on Yelp.

Derek
I don't know any locals who like that place. It is dirty and the food is terrible. Cafe Trieste and rosines pay yelp to filter reviews. I had my negative reviews taken down.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:25 PM

242 posts, read 494,452 times
The service at Cafe Trieste is bad, but some of their items are OK. Rosines is in fact terrible, and their only saving grace are their large portions for dessert. For me the the worst food in the area are Peter Bs, Rosines and Bay of Pines. Food at the Crown and Anchor is not that great, but the bar scene is the best.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:40 AM

183 posts, read 254,989 times
You would do yourself a disservice if you didn't at least do the drive along Ocean View Blvd (Monterey to Pacific Grove). I would also do the 17 Mile Drive (you do have to pay, but so very worth it)! Or drive down to Carmel - go all the way down, park and spend some time on Carmel Beach. My very favorite thing of all, though, is the drive down to Big Sur. There will be traffic with it being on a Saturday, but it is also worth the drive. Be sure to have your camera if you do any of these.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County