Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 05:55 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times

Advertisements

I know of a beach in Santa Cruz where I can walk with my dog off leash, but is it possible to walk in the woods around Santa Cruz anywhere with my dog off leash? My dog is a super friendly 22 pound rat terrier, so it's not a danger issue. It's more a leash nazi issue LOL. I know a lot of the parks around the SF Bay Area are difficult to take your dog off leash because people will give you a hard time.

Don't want to debate the leash issue, just wondered if there is anywhere in the woods in the area where it wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 06:10 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,740,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I know of a beach in Santa Cruz where I can walk with my dog off leash, but is it possible to walk in the woods around Santa Cruz anywhere with my dog off leash? My dog is a super friendly 22 pound rat terrier, so it's not a danger issue. It's more a leash nazi issue LOL. I know a lot of the parks around the SF Bay Area are difficult to take your dog off leash because people will give you a hard time.

Don't want to debate the leash issue, just wondered if there is anywhere in the woods in the area where it wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks!
Yes. But i'm not going to divulge on a public forum.
And my off-leash dog walks are in Aptos and Soquel so you'll have to drive a bit depending on where you are in Santa Cruz.
Send me a direct message if you want some info about where to walk with dogs off-leash in the woods.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:55 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Woops, you're right LOL. I wouldn't divulge my secret places either. I'm just glad to know there are some places - that it's possible. I'll DM you.

Thank you!

Old 03-13-2016, 09:03 AM

958 posts, read 1,146,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

Thanks!
Keep in mind that leash laws are usually in place to protect the local wildlife, not so people can be "leash nazis." But hey, go ahead and be jerks and ignore that! Because its all about YOU, right? Lol...selfish dog owners, sadly, are ruining peoples images of dogs, which are wonderful animals.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:05 AM

958 posts, read 1,146,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
Yes. But i'm not going to divulge on a public forum.
And my off-leash dog walks are in Aptos and Soquel so you'll have to drive a bit depending on where you are in Santa Cruz.
Send me a direct message if you want some info about where to walk with dogs off-leash in the woods.
Wait, blue sky, i thought you were some kind of sc hippie who cares about the environment and such? Maybe someone hijacked you cd account? I like your posts usually, please tell me you arent just another sc "hippiecrite'?

Old 03-13-2016, 10:54 AM

1,722 posts, read 1,740,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder2015 View Post
Wait, blue sky, i thought you were some kind of sc hippie who cares about the environment and such? Maybe someone hijacked you cd account? I like your posts usually, please tell me you arent just another sc "hippiecrite'?
No, i'm not a hypocrite. My dog does absolutely no harm to the environment or to any creatures or to their habitat. I am a most responsible and aware dog person.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:03 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,738,090 times
Take your dog to a dog park which is set up for dealing with canine excrement. If you DO find a "wooded trail" I hope you carry doggie-do bags along.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:13 AM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Keep in mind that leash laws are usually in place to protect the local wildlife, not so people can be "leash nazis." But hey, go ahead and be jerks and ignore that! Because its all about YOU, right? Lol...selfish dog owners, sadly, are ruining peoples images of dogs, which are wonderful animals.
Well Boulder, I usually find common ground with you but I have a different take on this one. Dogs aren't creatures from outer space. They're just as much a part of nature as are ground squirrels and deer and quail. There are predators and there are prey. *shrug*. Dogs are wonderful animals, as you say. And their need and benefit from living out their nature by cutting loose a bit everyday off leash is as reasonable and beautiful as the freedom of the other flora and fauna we are "protecting". Why should dogs be the creatures restricted in favor of the mostly enourmous populations of these other creatures? The life form that really needs to be controlled is homo sapiens. We're berzerkers!

Old 03-22-2016, 08:17 AM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Take your dog to a dog park which is set up for dealing with canine excrement. If you DO find a "wooded trail" I hope you carry doggie-do bags along.
Likewise Eureka. Always enjoy your posts. And I do agree with poop-scooping as an owner responsibility. But I would point out that "nature" does include animal excretment of all kinds. And plenty of it! Where it becomes a problem is mostly along the pathways we restrict our dogs to than out scattered among the bush.

I recall a well-intentioned woman once advising me to not even bring my buddy into a preserve to walk on leash on a trail because his urine would spook the deer. To which I politely responded to the effect I was pretty sure the deer were used to smelling predator urine without having a nervous breakdown requiring intervention services.

Wtf is with the attitude of dogs being the bad boys of nature? Nature is, um, well, nature. Been that way a very long time.

Old 05-11-2016, 05:11 PM

7,705 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Keep in mind that leash laws are usually in place to protect the local wildlife.
Yes, but that means the OP would have to construct a sentence which would require more careful thought and would be less inflammatory. The OP, too lazy to Google, just wants to rile everyone up.

Rat terriers tear the soil, searching for smaller critters. How else do you think they got their name?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County