Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 08:15 AM

671 posts, read 854,063 times

Advertisements

Tons of jobs for a Canadian who speaks English.

Any update OP? I see this thread is from 2 y ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 3,515 times
I am currently living in Montreal and have been turned down for several jobs because I do not speak French. Sure, you can find a job if you only speak english but it will be minimum wage at a call centre where you repeat a script all day. **** that. If you are not fluent in both languages do not move here unless you have your own business and wont need to worry about looking for employment.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:03 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
Can we assume a move to English Canada will be in your future..

Old 01-14-2014, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordologist View Post
I am currently living in Montreal and have been turned down for several jobs because I do not speak French. Sure, you can find a job if you only speak english but it will be minimum wage at a call centre where you repeat a script all day. **** that. If you are not fluent in both languages do not move here unless you have your own business and wont need to worry about looking for employment.
A blog making the rounds that you may agree with and enjoy reading.
Montreal Sucks and Everyone Knows It | Indecent Xposure

Old 01-14-2014, 04:59 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,014,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
''Be like us... or die'' is a popular mantra from anglophones when it comes to Montreal these days. No news here.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
''Be like us... or die'' is a popular mantra from anglophones when it comes to Montreal these days. No news here.
I havent heard that attitude/expression from Anglos in Quebec but i certainly have seen and experienced that attitude from Quebecs Francophone government in the form of Bill101 and all its ramifications and now the absurd Charter of Values.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:30 PM

3 posts, read 7,798 times
Quote:
[URL="http://www.ixdaily.com/grind/4685146e388222f3c65ba1eca674e86555a65395/"]Montreal Sucks and Everyone Knows It | Indecent Xposure[/URL]
I just read the article and it would have probably been a good idea to add some positive things about the city, such as safety. It is undeniable that Montreal is extremely safe. There are of course amazing people in Montreal who enjoy, and are quite proud of, what the city has to offer.

Having said that, the article reflects my opinion of Montreal almost 100%. And for those of you who will reply that if I don't like it I can leave, I already did two years ago. I am quite happy I did and you do not have to worry about me anymore.

Regarding jobs in IT, it depends how lucky you are. I would say that you really need French if you do not want to settle for a low-paying job. You can end up earning a lot less than someone with the same credentials but born in Quebec, which can be frustrating. I had a high-paying job by Montreal standards, but my salary was well below the industry average for my position in North America. And no, Montreal is not mega-cheap as a lot of people claim. If you want a nice place downtown, you will have to pay good money for it.

If you want to start your own business, it would be even more necessary to speak the language, unless your clients are based somewhere else. Even though I speak French, it was a major headache to conduct business in both languages, when the world of IT works mostly in English. It was also a headache to deal with the provincial government regarding any documents, because unfortunately it is not unusual to receive really rude treatment if they detect that you are not local.

My advice would be to visit the city first. If you REALLY like it, then definitely learn the language. Don't just go to a language school unless you have never studied French in your life. Sign up for a professional course in a French university, so you get a working knowledge of the language, not just enough to be a tourist.

If you do not like the city, then do yourself a favour and find a job somewhere else. There are higher-paid IT jobs in other cities. Your job is important but you do not want to leave the office and then realize that you want to jump off a bridge because you hate the place where you live.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,029 times
Hey i am looking for a job in Montreal and unable to find.I am graduated student of computer sciences and have customer services and banking experience.If any one on this forum knows any kind of English speaking job please assist me.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:12 AM

11 posts, read 18,609 times
You can find easy a job in publisac or demenagement, they don't need your brain, they need your muscles and resistance..

Old 06-11-2014, 02:18 PM

850 posts, read 1,026,481 times
Quote:
The elementary school class picture was hilarious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal