Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 04:02 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,562,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
Montreal gets more immigration than Vancouver.
I was not only referring to immigrants. Quebec has net outmigration of Canadians according to the last article I read on the issue.

There seem to be a ton of Jewish Montrealers living in the United States, I might add.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 07:54 PM

565 posts, read 673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I was not only referring to immigrants. Quebec has net outmigration of Canadians according to the last article I read on the issue.

There seem to be a ton of Jewish Montrealers living in the United States, I might add.
Montreal’s population grows by 50,000 people per year on average.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
Montreal’s population grows by 50,000 people per year on average.
You aren't talking about anything I mentioned or the OP's topic. Montreal's population growth was never in question. Move along.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:17 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,081,720 times
Quote:
You aren't talking about anything I mentioned or the OP's topic. Montreal's population growth was never in question. Move along.
He's actually responding to the least "tin foil hat" part of your post. You should actually thank him for letting you off so easily!

Old 02-21-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
He's actually responding to the least "tin foil hat" part of your post. You should actually thank him for letting you off so easily!
Perhaps the Quebecers need to learn how to read? Nowhere on this thread have I claimed that Montreal is not growing or that people are not moving there. There is nothing "tin foil hat" about my expression of curiosity about why someone would want to move to Quebec, and sharing my experience with ma famille française.

Old 02-22-2019, 02:28 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,133,017 times
Quote:
Perhaps the Quebecers need to learn how to read? Nowhere on this thread have I claimed that Montreal is not growing or that people are not moving there. There is nothing "tin foil hat" about my expression of curiosity about why someone would want to move to Quebec, and sharing my experience with ma famille française.

You're a barrel of laughs.

Old 02-22-2019, 07:54 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,081,720 times
Quote:
We can read just fine. Even in our second language (for most of us)!

Old 02-22-2019, 10:06 AM

196 posts, read 217,080 times
Quote:
Now, I think that's overstating it a bit. However, I think Montreal and Quebec are dysfunctional to a point where I do have to wonder why someone would want to move to Montreal unless they had a particularly compelling opportunity or family tie to draw them. Montreal and Quebec are not like a Vancouver or Los Angeles or New York where people flock to in order to make a dream come true.

Can't leave us hanging like this. Dysfunctional in what way? I'm genuinely curious, as some of these things are blind to inhabitants.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:17 AM

17,269 posts, read 15,458,474 times
Quote:

Now, I think that's overstating it a bit. However, I think Montreal and Quebec are dysfunctional to a point where I do have to wonder why someone would want to move to Montreal unless they had a particularly compelling opportunity or family tie to draw them. Montreal and Quebec are not like a Vancouver or Los Angeles or New York where people flock to in order to make a dream come true.

What exactly are you trying to say? Montreal receives more immigrants per year than Vancouver.
Montreal is also a more cosmopolitan city than Vancouver.
And... What would compel an immigrant from DR, Haiti, or North Africa to move to Vancouver or LA? Montreal is their first pick in North America, and for many reasons.
You're not making sense. What does Vancouver have that Montreal doesn't have?

Old 02-22-2019, 12:05 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,419,115 times
Vancouver is a beautiful city but it is the last place I would go in North America to reach the American or Canadian dream. Middle class people can't even afford a house in that city anymore, while in Montreal it is still very possible for a middle class family to purchase a house. At least for a working class family that wants to get a head, Montreal is still a great place to live. There is more industry in Montreal and University education is also more affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal