Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2012, 12:49 PM

53 posts, read 301,368 times

Advertisements

im in montreal at the moment. im from ireland. i am thinking of heading down to vancouver. i was in toronto already, and that play is just full of robots and drones!

i got let go out of my job here in montreal. i want to stay here in montreal but have to find a job quick. low on money. but i have a friend in vancouver who will let me stay in his place till i get a job.

im a big music person and i dj/produce.

whats the music scene like down in vancouver? whats its like compared to montreals? i know the music scene is really good here in montreal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 12:52 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,054,199 times
Vancouver as a good music scene from what I hear. Check out Hey Ocean! (jazz indie pop, lead singer is also a cartoon voice actress), and Art of Dying (post-Grunge, the bass player is Adam Gontier's brother).

Old 02-18-2012, 01:53 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,861,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhead View Post
im in montreal at the moment. ....

i got let go out of my job here in montreal. i want to stay here in montreal but have to find a job quick. low on money. ...
Can't help you if you're looking for a DJ position in Montreal.
But if you are prepared to work any jobs (packer, laborer, warehousing, etc), there are vacancies for English speakers in West Island.
Check your DM for the website of a part-time overnight weekends job.

Or contact employment agencies:
Yott Personnel
ACCUEIL

Old 02-19-2012, 01:13 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Vancouver's alright, but the music scene is smaller than you'd expect for a city of its size, it's smaller than either Toronto's or Montreal's is

Old 02-19-2012, 10:30 AM

110 posts, read 620,951 times
Spend some time around Mile End, talk to people there and i am sure someone eventually will help you one way or another. Plenty of musicians. Plenty of them struglling but some that are happening as well.

Also, meet other irish immigrants. Maybe they have good advice.
Irish in Montréal ? Irish Expats in Montréal | InterNations.org

And dougie86 links could also be helpful, the West Island is a good place for someone who still struggles in french.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:34 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,444,974 times
I wouldn't come to Vancouver to pursue a music career as a DJ/producer. People in Vancouver leave for greener pastures to Montreal and Toronto where the DJ scene is much more established/popular. Vancouver has a grassroots/DIY indie rock scene, but if you're seeking money specifically, I don't think Vancouver's necessarily the way to go. It's a smaller scene and the cost of living is much more expensive.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:07 AM

12 posts, read 30,127 times
Vancuver is THE place for so much; take your friend up on his offer to visist and CHECK IT OUT! You will love it and the mucic will flow. . . no dead heads here. . .

Old 04-01-2012, 03:24 PM

167 posts, read 856,958 times
Montreal and Vancouver are both excellent cities. I've lived in both. I'm not into music though so can't advise you on that. But the weather is much milder and rainier in Vancouver, probably a lot like in Ireland. So, if you're sick of the Montreal winters, you might like Vancouver. Montreal has more of a cosmopolitain European feel. I don't know how to describe Vancouver's vibe, but different, in a good way. I'd describe it as a "West Coast" lifestyle but that might not help you much. Easy going, a bit more transient, etc. Vancouver is still a big, busy city though. And if you're in to smoking pot, you will have many friends. Personally, that's not my thing, but I know it's out there, more so than in Montreal. And of course, virtually no French, so if that ever held you back in Montreal, it won't in Vancouver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal