Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 07:26 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,777,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Though I am always surprised at how retail stores close down early on Saturday night in Montreal. Even on Ste-Catherine most of the stores and shopping centres close between 5 and 6 pm.

I don't know if it's a Euro thing or it's because Saturday night is sacred and people can't wait to go wine, dine and party?

Even downtown Ottawa is generally open later than downtown Montreal on a Saturday night. For retail shopping anyway.
I encountered that same problem visiting Sherbrooke and the Eastern Townships during our Columbus Day weekend (your Thanksgiving weekend). The Carrefour L'Estrie was closed at 5:00PM (17:00 hours) on Saturday. A normal suburban shopping mall in the U.S. would open to 9:00PM or 10:00PM (21:00-22:00 hours) on Saturdays and the crowds would be very large. It must be the French Canadian culture not to shop on a Saturday evening. I guess it's another thing to be aware of for any outsider thinking of moving to or at least frequenting Quebec Province.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 05:09 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,879,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
I encountered that same problem visiting Sherbrooke and the Eastern Townships during our Columbus Day weekend (your Thanksgiving weekend). The Carrefour L'Estrie was closed at 5:00PM (17:00 hours) on Saturday. A normal suburban shopping mall in the U.S. would open to 9:00PM or 10:00PM (21:00-22:00 hours) on Saturdays and the crowds would be very large. It must be the French Canadian culture not to shop on a Saturday evening. I guess it's another thing to be aware of for any outsider thinking of moving to or at least frequenting Quebec Province.
I read that it's because people and the government want workers to spend more time with their families.

Old 10-31-2017, 07:32 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
People would forego living in a place they love just because you can't go to the mall between 5 and 9 on Saturday nights?

Old 10-31-2017, 07:40 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
100% the reason I want to move to Montreal and not Toronto. I like Toronto and I think it's a great city, but I love Montreal and want my family to grow up in that culture. The quality of life and culture is just wonderful.
I totally understand the allure, but it's always best to proceed with caution when chasing the dream.

Montreal and Quebec IMO are great places to live but like any place they have lots of warts and problems.

I know tons of people from the U.S. and other places who've chased the dream - some of them are still here and have built perfectly happy lives. The dream has panned out for them.

Some examples are Michael Farber an American who was a senior writer for Sports Illustrated, but lives in Montreal.

Same goes for Kathy Reichs who writes CSI-type crime novels and inspired the TV series Bones.

It's admittedly a lot more difficult if you don't speak French, or have a spouse who is a local and can serve as your "in".

Of course there are also people for whom the dream doesn't work out. They end up leaving. Some are bitter (generally the ones who rant about xenophobia and third world paved surfaces and potholes), whereas some are more zen and look at it as a relationship that was fun while it lasted but didn't work out.

Old 10-31-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
I totally understand the allure, but it's always best to proceed with caution when chasing the dream.

Montreal and Quebec IMO are great places to live but like any place they have lots of warts and problems.

I know tons of people from the U.S. and other places who've chased the dream - some of them are still here and have built perfectly happy lives. The dream has panned out for them.

Some examples are Michael Farber an American who was a senior writer for Sports Illustrated, but lives in Montreal.

Same goes for Kathy Reichs who writes CSI-type crime novels and inspired the TV series Bones.

It's admittedly a lot more difficult if you don't speak French, or have a spouse who is a local and can serve as your "in".

Of course there are also people for whom the dream doesn't work out. They end up leaving. Some are bitter (generally the ones who rant about xenophobia and third world paved surfaces and potholes), whereas some are more zen and look at it as a relationship that was fun while it lasted but didn't work out.
Understood, and I appreciate your point. My wife is from another country and I have traveled most continents in the world. We are having a son very soon and want the best for him and the other children we will likely have. There are pros and cons to moving to Montreal. The cons include family and weather. And likely some struggles along the way concerning career and language. However, my wife speaks four languages now and is starting to learn more French (she knows some). I believe that language can be learned with time, trial/error, and patience. We find the culture harmonious, so no xenophobia here. The major pros of Montreal and Canada in general include QOL, education, safety, healthcare, and a much less divisive people. I know there are challenges, disagreements, and upset. But I can't see it coming close to one quarter of the challenges of the USA. Canada just has a brighter future IMO.

Btw, I couldn't care less about potholes or roads. I love Montreal's transit.

Old 10-31-2017, 03:02 PM

3,198 posts, read 2,665,480 times
Just a few points (quickly read through the thread, so if I say something that was already mentioned, my apologies)

1. Although we're 2nd to Toronto, MTL is booming right now. 150 cranes, $25B in investments (more to come), tech companies investing here, sometimes multiple companies within weeks.

2. The boom should continue now that more flights with Asia will start next year, and with bill 121 in place, MTL should become more competitive now.

3. QOL/COL ratio is amazing, we should be happy and grateful to live in a city this large yet have cheap costs.

4. Transit keeps improving, and with the REM, Blue line extension (eventually!), BRT, Orange line extension, connectivity will increase. Also, from people I know, they're already discussing phase 2 REM towards the east.

5. I saw a few posts about the quality of the roads. Yes, they're S***, BUT! the asphalt lasts longer now, more roads are finally smooth and all these investments in infrastructure are also attracting investments in certain areas. I also have to mention this bizarro world event where the roads on Quebec highways were smooth, and then crossing into Ontario became rough... it was odd and made me laugh.

6. Have you guys noticed more former Montrealers moving back here? it's pretty remarkable, even though they still complain a little too much for my liking. But, always nice to see people come back home.

Old 10-31-2017, 03:30 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,176,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
Just a few points (quickly read through the thread, so if I say something that was already mentioned, my apologies)

1. Although we're 2nd to Toronto, MTL is booming right now. 150 cranes, $25B in investments (more to come), tech companies investing here, sometimes multiple companies within weeks.

2. The boom should continue now that more flights with Asia will start next year, and with bill 121 in place, MTL should become more competitive now.

3. QOL/COL ratio is amazing, we should be happy and grateful to live in a city this large yet have cheap costs.

4. Transit keeps improving, and with the REM, Blue line extension (eventually!), BRT, Orange line extension, connectivity will increase. Also, from people I know, they're already discussing phase 2 REM towards the east.

5. I saw a few posts about the quality of the roads. Yes, they're S***, BUT! the asphalt lasts longer now, more roads are finally smooth and all these investments in infrastructure are also attracting investments in certain areas. I also have to mention this bizarro world event where the roads on Quebec highways were smooth, and then crossing into Ontario became rough... it was odd and made me laugh.

6. Have you guys noticed more former Montrealers moving back here? it's pretty remarkable, even though they still complain a little too much for my liking. But, always nice to see people come back home.
I'd take some of the above with a grain of salt. Yes the boom is real and the economy is humming along nicely, but also keep in mind that most of the points you cited came from the mouth of Coderre, who is currently in full campaign mode for mayoral re-election, so yea, some things may be a "tad" bit exaggerated when one is in full re-election mode and it's a still a toss up between Coderre and Projet Montreal.

Old 10-31-2017, 03:45 PM

3,198 posts, read 2,665,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
I'd take some of the above with a grain of salt. Yes the boom is real and the economy is humming along nicely, but also keep in mind that most of the points you cited came from the mouth of Coderre, who is currently in full campaign mode for mayoral re-election, so yea, some things may be a "tad" bit exaggerated when one is in full re-election mode and it's a still a toss up between Coderre and Projet Montreal.
It's not exaggerated, $25B investments include infra, private investments, real-estate etc... plus I have ties with the business community here and they can confirm the same information. Maybe the 150 cranes are exaggerated, but I'm sure he's talking about the entire CMA of MTL.

Old 10-31-2017, 06:44 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,777,075 times
Quote:
People would forego living in a place they love just because you can't go to the mall between 5 and 9 on Saturday nights?
I personally wouldn't care as I am not a shopaholic but don't be surprised that some other people would. I was just as equally surprised as you that they would close so early on a Saturday. I mean isn't that supposed to be prime shopping time for families? I would have thought vendors would like to open as late as possible on Saturdays.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:09 AM

Can anyone speak to the quality of health care in Montreal? I have a lot of friends from Toronto and they claim that getting in to see a doctor, get an MRI, or get a procedure can be difficult and lengthy. In other words, it's not the health insurance (like in the US), but the availability to receive care. Does anyone have experience here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal