Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2024, 05:23 AM

3,195 posts, read 2,649,705 times

Advertisements

Using Montreal International numbers: FDI almost down $1B in 2023 vs 2022. They blame global economic factors, but I can tell you that Bill 96 is having a larger factor in business not wanting to set up shop in Quebec/Montreal than global factors.

On that note

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...ules-1.7126064

I said last year, dark times are ahead for the city and province. At this rate, Montreal won't rebound by 2030 or even later, due to everything that happened during covid + Bill 96 and now the tuition rate increases.

I'm glad I left, don't have to deal with this crap anymore and also having to lie to businesses to come here/bend the rules, it's definitely burdensom. I hope come 2025, there's a pro business mayor and 2026, a better, less idiotic government in charge.. maybe thay will make the city bounce back before 2030.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2024, 07:59 AM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CXT2000 View Post
Using Montreal International numbers: FDI almost down $1B in 2023 vs 2022. They blame global economic factors, but I can tell you that Bill 96 is having a larger factor in business not wanting to set up shop in Quebec/Montreal than global factors.

On that note

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...ules-1.7126064

I said last year, dark times are ahead for the city and province. At this rate, Montreal won't rebound by 2030 or even later, due to everything that happened during covid + Bill 96 and now the tuition rate increases.

I'm glad I left, don't have to deal with this crap anymore and also having to lie to businesses to come here/bend the rules, it's definitely burdensom. I hope come 2025, there's a pro business mayor and 2026, a better, less idiotic government in charge.. maybe thay will make the city bounce back before 2030.
For 2026 at this point it looks like it will be the Parti Québécois. Do you consider them better and less idiotic?

Old 03-04-2024, 10:21 AM

543 posts, read 899,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
For 2026 at this point it looks like it will be the Parti Québécois. Do you consider them better and less idiotic?
I see that the current PQ leader has rekindled the tradition of conducting their post graduate education in England, just like good old Jacques P.

As a fellow McGill alum, I wonder if St. Pierre Plamondon received the same email I did asking to help fund scholarships so that out of province students can attend school in Quebec in English.

Just asking.....

Old 03-04-2024, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I'll give PSPP credit at how he won't govern on reaction and he is charismatic. But I also doubt they will hold their lead come 2026. PQ will be better with investments in infrastructure/housing, social services, etc.. But they want fewer immigrants and want to further diminish the rights and freedoms of non-Franco's, so hard pass.

I feel the same with Coderre and the Libs as well. I worked well with him, he was a good mayor, but the fact that he won't rescind Bill 21, Bill 96 nor the unjust tuition hikes... It's either a political strat for the regions, or he is also an idiot. Also he thinks it's 1995 and making 2026 about a referendum, when that will not happen. Hard pass on him too, hopefully the Liberals will go for someone that is younger, open minded and will respect the Canadian and Quebec charter of rights and freedoms, while making Quebec open for all.

QS? Commies and separatists, hard pass.

Bottom line, at this very point, all parties in Quebec are idiotic, but the CAQ take the cake due to their reactionary governance. Quebec is not doing well due to these laws and Montreal's reputation and QC's is taking a tank. Then factor in with these laws how businesses, major global insurers and international business want to pull out of the Quebec market. Too much hassle for a small market.

Even though I retired, I still keep in contacts with my now former colleagues, they're telling me how Quebec's government are suffocating their economy over made up stupidities. We've lost business expansions, International talent, businesses have completely pulled out, all the stuff I won last year has been delayed (not much I can do there, anyways). The economy is weakening, layoffs are piling up and Quebec is closing doors to the world. The fact that conference boards and other entities are saying Montreal/Quebec will lag Canadian counterparts until 2030 is another indicator at how bad the situation has gotten there.

Gone are they days from 2015-2019, when money was pouring in like crazy to the city and province. There was a lag during the covid years, so on "paper" everything was fine and dandy until last year, but it will be a tough next 4-6 years.

Old 03-05-2024, 10:41 AM

Yet another huge blow with JFL being cancelled, 70% of the company's workforce was laid off today. City will lose tens of millions of dollars and tourism.

I feel for Montreal

Old 03-07-2024, 11:21 AM

Rumours that Air Canada will launch two new major routes, one of them being a direct flight from Seoul to Montreal..... I hope this will be the case, it'll be a major win for the city of true.

Old 03-07-2024, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Rumours that Air Canada will launch two new major routes, one of them being a direct flight from Seoul to Montreal..... I hope this will be the case, it'll be a major win for the city of true.

Confirmed, 4x weekly MTL to Seoul starting June.

Apparently a second major route will be announced soon.

Bad news is Montreal will lose flights to Cairo.

Old 03-24-2024, 11:38 AM

A few business expansions in Montreal this month (a first this year)

- Blu Digital Group (SF based)
- Crosslake Fiber (German based)
- Alcumus (South Wales based)
- Phunware Inc, (San Diego based)

TATA Consulting (India based) confirmed after three years that it will hire 500+ people in a new downtown hub, so that's significant IT news.

On the Broccolini lot, a 64-story tower has been proposed (200 metres). No renders yet, but there will be commercial spaces and 664 units for the phase 1 portion.

For the Bonaventure re-development plan, the first building has been proposed, a 23-floor, 80 metre tall building.

DOMUS is the project name

Developers are proposing a bump in height so buildings range from 80-120 metres on this site.

Link (In French) https://ocpm.qc.ca/sites/default/fil...20COPRIM_1.pdf

I obviously am late posting these, I'm enjoying life down in Miami at the moment, retirement feels great. But it seems like things are finally picking up in Montreal, so I really hope the momentum continues in 2024.

Old 03-26-2024, 09:22 AM

137 posts, read 43,609 times
Quote:
A few business expansions in Montreal this month (a first this year)

- Blu Digital Group (SF based)
- Crosslake Fiber (German based)
- Alcumus (South Wales based)
- Phunware Inc, (San Diego based)

TATA Consulting (India based) confirmed after three years that it will hire 500+ people in a new downtown hub, so that's significant IT news.

On the Broccolini lot, a 64-story tower has been proposed (200 metres). No renders yet, but there will be commercial spaces and 664 units for the phase 1 portion.

For the Bonaventure re-development plan, the first building has been proposed, a 23-floor, 80 metre tall building.

DOMUS is the project name

Developers are proposing a bump in height so buildings range from 80-120 metres on this site.

Link (In French) https://ocpm.qc.ca/sites/default/fil...20COPRIM_1.pdf

I obviously am late posting these, I'm enjoying life down in Miami at the moment, retirement feels great. But it seems like things are finally picking up in Montreal, so I really hope the momentum continues in 2024.
I'm a bit confused... This looks like it's going on that small strip of land that Five Roses sits on?

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4951...!1e3?entry=ttu

Old 04-06-2024, 11:22 AM

Finally, much needed GOOD news

Montreal's Trudeau airport is getting a $4B facelift and it's going to include a lot of construction

https://jlp.ca/en/journal/article/le...ional-airport/

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...tion-1.7163735
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal