Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2023, 01:27 PM

17,206 posts, read 15,404,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
You are right on about René-Lévesque. To me, it is one of the more frustrating streets to negotiate as a driver.
I can't understand the reasoning, or lack of, in the fact that there is a wide lane in both directions that serves two vehicles in width.
LOL!!! Wow, I never even noticed this!

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4971...8192?entry=ttu

Thank God I normally choose not to drive when in Montreal. It is so much easier to navigate on foot/bike/transit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2023, 03:36 PM

1,225 posts, read 498,842 times
Quote:

I think even the REM proposal would have brought more interest to the streetscape even if I was opposed to it. That said, I really think it is time to do a makeover of massive proportions…
Why were you opposed to the REM??

Old 09-26-2023, 07:01 PM

3,198 posts, read 2,661,232 times
Quote:
You are right on about René-Lévesque. To me, it is one of the more frustrating streets to negotiate as a driver.
I can't understand the reasoning, or lack of, in the fact that there is a wide lane in both directions that serves two vehicles in width. It is confusing and maladapted in the extreme for this improtant thoroughfare. If ever there was a place to implement a large median to make it a four lane boulevard, this would be it. It's an either/or thing, I know, but there has to be some decision made about what this street is meant to be. If a tree lined median was implemented the whole length of it, the aspect would be spectacular. As it stands now, it is very blah, too mineralized, not enough greenery either side to make it a pleasant street to linger on. In the wintertime it is of course, worse.

I think even the REM proposal would have brought more interest to the streetscape even if I was opposed to it. That said, I really think it is time to do a makeover of massive proportions…
I walk by almost daily and I'm just astounded that we still have an 8 lane urban highway cutting through downtown. We need a huge makeover, like you said, more trees, wider sidewalks (heated) with public art/animation. We also have to account the tens of thousands of homes built near or on the street, all the new hotels, offices, etc...

I know the city (two terms ago) had a plan to renovate R.L and include a really cool tramway connecting all of downtown, that plan needs to be brought back.

Old 09-26-2023, 07:04 PM

New Vision Brings New Life to Downtown Montreal

A few remarkable quotes

Quote:
According to CBRE’s H1 2023 Retail Rent Survey, asking rents along the street ranged between $90 to $200 per square foot at the end of last year – some of the highest in the country.
Quote:
To help them to better envision how the revitalization will look when all is said and done, Rundle shows his clients the completed first phase, the eastern segment of the project. This renovated section is nearing zero vacancy and is busier than ever before. And with tourism recovering to pre-pandemic levels, there’s even more optimism – and shopping – on the horizon
https://www.cbre.ca/insights/article...ntown-montreal

Old 09-26-2023, 07:18 PM

LUGE CAPITAL LOOKS TO BUCK FINTECH TRENDS WITH $71-MILLION CAD FIRST CLOSE OF NEW FUND

https://betakit.com/luge-capital-loo...e-of-new-fund/

FRONT ROW VENTURES CLOSES OVER-SUBSCRIBED $5.5-MILLION CAD PAN-CANADIAN FUND

https://betakit.com/front-row-ventur...canadian-fund/

--------------------------------------

New updated renders for Haleco (looks MUCH cooler now). 110 social housing/affordable housing units, 327 units total. Will also include office space and commercial space.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...866258042.html

Preliminary renders also came out for the Project on 1355 Rene-Levesque, picture is too blurry though. 120 metres (pathetic) and 465 units are planned, commercial is planned (6k sq ft).

Broccolini is still planning a major project on the (now) former bus terminal at Place Bonaventure, constantly evolving plan but right now looks like 3 buildings between 150-200 metres, commercial spaces, mix use. It's one of the last major lots downtown where you can build to the max limit, so they have to go big.

Jadco is still planning their rental towers, 2x (100m + 120m) with commercial on the ground floor, we're looking at 600-800 units here.

Old 09-26-2023, 08:33 PM

2,082 posts, read 1,128,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
Why were you opposed to the REM??
Not opposed to Rem per se, but the proposed version of an overhead train above R-L was not optimal, to say the least. I think we should consider tramways or streetcars at street level, but avoid the heavy visual clutter that ages badly in a climate like ours.

The metro does a good job of covering downtown service to various parts of the city, the Rem de l'est should do just that, serve the Eastern parts up to a certain point and connect to metro stations for further connections to downtown.

Old 09-28-2023, 10:05 AM

HUGE news for the Greater Montreal Area

Northvolt will establish their North American HQ here, will build one of the largest battery plants in N.A.

$7B investment, 4,000 jobs

Old 09-29-2023, 06:41 AM

Belairdirect vacating their Anjou office and signed a 100K sq ft lease in Laval @Espace Montmorency.

Old 09-30-2023, 08:22 AM

Another win for the GMA

Café Van Houtte concentrates its storage in Beauharnois

https://www.wirenewsfax.com/cafe-van...in-beauharnois

Old 09-30-2023, 08:38 AM

Awesome addition to their North American hub

BESTSELLER Unveils Sustainability-Focused & Scandinavian-Inspired Montreal HQ

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/bests...152700915.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal