Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2023, 01:30 PM

17,222 posts, read 15,428,659 times

Advertisements

I really hope they eventually go on ahead with REM Est.
Absolutey ridiculous that they shut it down due to idiots whining about “neighborhood preservation” and the environment. As it is, the neighborhoods to the east are some of the ugliest, most blighted on the island. And crying about environment, when the train is infinitely better than having a bunch of cars clogging up the roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2023, 08:35 PM

1,228 posts, read 502,972 times
https://youtu.be/Q23mkh8rX88

Awesome video.

Old 07-30-2023, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
I really hope they eventually go on ahead with REM Est.
Absolutey ridiculous that they shut it down due to idiots whining about “neighborhood preservation” and the environment. As it is, the neighborhoods to the east are some of the ugliest, most blighted on the island. And crying about environment, when the train is infinitely better than having a bunch of cars clogging up the roads.

The original plan was great but the residents simply did not want it. The NIMBYs won big time.

The new plan will not provide people in the far east of the island direct transportation downtown as was originally planned. It will connect to the green and blue lines but wont go near downtown. The new plan is to build the REM east entirely underground making the price astronomically high to the point I doubt it will ever go through. It just doesn't seem practical.

IMO A good alternative would be to upgrade and improve the EXO commuter trains. Make them entirely electric and run faster and more frequently. They should do this at least on some of the lines. They will have to upgrade them eventually, might aswell do it now. The line that goes east through anjou, RDP all the way past point aux trembles and off the island seems like it would be a good candidatae to upgrade first.

Last edited by Luisito80; 07-30-2023 at 08:28 PM..

Old 08-05-2023, 11:54 AM

3,198 posts, read 2,665,480 times
Osheaga sold out today and tomorrow, looks like the weekend will surpass 150,000 people. Lots of tourists, should bring in a lot of money to the city. Estimates are roughly $50-$60M per festival, should be a bit more this year.

Old 08-06-2023, 11:17 AM

Don't want to spoil the fun here, but Q3 has been abysmal so far.

1. Paper shed 106 jobs
2. SiloFit closed up shop, another promising start-up.
3. VC funding has been dry, Montreal led Canada in Q1, had a strong Q2, Q3 has been dead. It makes sense since there is a recession scare.
--
4. Bill 96 horrid implementation on June 1st led to projects being delayed or cancelled. Lots of international business are now cautious of Quebec or want to avoid it altogether. I'm happy I booked so much business in the first half of this year, cause the trend for the second half of this year is pretty bad. At first, businesses were okay with the legislation after government officials accompanied us on economic trips explained everything to them and made things at ease. However, the implementation has been atrocious with so many contradictions and legal headaches that it's scaring businesses away. I'm hoping the government listens to all the criticism and amends the law, to the benefit of everyone.

Old 08-06-2023, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CXT2000 View Post
Osheaga sold out today and tomorrow, looks like the weekend will surpass 150,000 people. Lots of tourists, should bring in a lot of money to the city. Estimates are roughly $50-$60M per festival, should be a bit more this year.
Just to cheer up after the last post, but I went last night to the show, took my daughter. The festival site was at full capacity yesterday, 55,000 people (the city shrunk the festival site due to upcoming renovations, typical Projet Montreal). Osheaga has definitely hit a new stride this year, it was always a large festival and one that was a "must attend", but this year will definitely make it have a more international appeal.

Lasso also looks like it will break records this year, not sure about Ile Soniq since it's back at two days instead of three.

My contact at Evenko also said that Heavy Montreal will most likely be on the backburner (or never return) and they will focus on Osheaga, Ile Soniq and Lasso instead. Evenko makes more $$ from standalone shows (GnR/Metallica upcoming for example). However, if it will return, it will probably be a one day festival or a scaled back two day fest.

Expectations for GnR's show is about 40,000 people, Metallica about 70-80K per show. All this with Ile Soniq coming up, so it still solidifies Montreal as a festival destination for all genres. However, I do find it weird that a city that called themselves a "metal city" no longer has a hard rock/metal festival anymore lol. Definitely a lot more shows than most cities, but still ironic.

Old 08-06-2023, 12:22 PM

I don't remember Osheaga. When did that start taking place?

Is Fantasia still a big thing in Montreal?

Old 08-07-2023, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
I don't remember Osheaga. When did that start taking place?

Is Fantasia still a big thing in Montreal?
Osheaga has been around since 2006 but really became a huge festival after Eminem performed in 2011. Since then it's been 120-135K per year, with this year topping 155,000 people. Now that we broke that 150K threshold and with amazing performances, it will became an international staple now. (side note, I went Saturday and Sunday with my kids, Osheaga has definitely hit another stride this year, it was definitely the most energetic festival they've had and if they keep up the same energy, I think next year will sell out all three days)

Up next this week: Guns N' Roses, Metallica x2 and Ile Soniq, with Otakuthon all weekend long and Montreal's Pride Parade on Sunday.

Fantasia is still a big thing here, usually gets about 100K per year. This year, Nicholas Cage was going to visit, but cancelled due to the ongoing strikes.

Old 08-07-2023, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CXT2000 View Post

Up next this week: Guns N' Roses, Metallica x2 and Ile Soniq, with Otakuthon all weekend long and Montreal's Pride Parade on Sunday.
Those are some big names. WIsh I could go.

Quote:
Fantasia is still a big thing here, usually gets about 100K per year. This year, Nicholas Cage was going to visit, but cancelled due to the ongoing strikes.
Fantasia is awesomne. They used to have the best ads and posters. Used to like seeing them all over downtown.

Old 08-08-2023, 08:24 AM

Juliette and chocolat closing all their restaurants for good.... It's gonna be a really bad Q3/Q4 for Quebec and Montreal.

And, someone set the REM tracks on fire at Canora station, major damage, optical fibres were heavily damaged. Not sure if it was gang related, pro car people or NIMBYS, but arson attacks in the city have exploded this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal