Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 08:48 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,443,483 times

Advertisements

I think the noticeable difference is that Montreal was the financial center of Canada up until the 1970's. I absolutely love Montreal, but it does feel like a city that had its prime in the 70's and it hasn't fully recovered economically from the threat of possible political instability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 03:00 PM

741 posts, read 2,780,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherewillitland View Post
My reason is that Montreal is smaller, less noisy and more contained. However, it still has a lot of cultural activities and its not like someone will more likely get bored in montreal than nyc. I dont really know whats bad about montreal. Does anyone have anything bad to say about montreal?
I have nothing bad to say on my 4 day stay there this Christmas. I spent about 3-4 days downtown before Christmas Eve (when all that snow came in). Checked out the old area, had fun at the pier area, trammped through the underground, checked out Schwartz and Au Pied and nearby cool areas (great eating in that town). I had a blast I loved the city.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:22 PM

86 posts, read 171,735 times
For careers.. NYC... definitely.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:10 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,382,702 times
How big is downtown montreal? How does it look in relation to the different places in nyc? I live in nyc and the only places I've been to is LA, Las Vegas and Boston.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:49 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
How big is downtown montreal? How does it look in relation to the different places in nyc? I live in nyc and the only places I've been to is LA, Las Vegas and Boston.
There is no comparison with downtown New York of course.

However, downtown Montreal would probably most similar to downtown Boston among the cities you mentioned. It is very walkable and very much "alive" (ie people on the streets at all hours).

Old 01-16-2009, 01:24 AM

172 posts, read 608,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Chocolate View Post
Montreal vs. NYC? Apples and Oranges! True, both cities like to party, appreciate art, and have a diverse set of inhabitants (NYC slightly more so)
I could not agree with you more. Both cities are truly fantastic cosmopolitan centers, but I would personally choose New York City over Montreal. And I agree with Acajack that downtown Montreal reminded me of downtown Boston, which is another great city in the Northeast (which does not mean I would want to necessarily live in that area per se).

Old 01-16-2009, 01:18 PM

1,227 posts, read 2,063,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Chocolate View Post
Good contemporary music (especially Jazz and Hip Hop) is way better in NYC, classical more so in MTL.
While Montreal is definitely alive and well on the classical scene, NYC has the MET going on every night, the Philarmonic, etc., a lot more going on than Montreal. Not really hitting on Mtl though! I prefer it to NYC.

Montreal to me is much calmer and walkable than NYC. It has many beautiful, residential neighborhoods and a lot more benches to sit down. NYC is overcrowded all the time, overpriced and stressful. It's amazing to visit it at first, but gets old after a while.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:17 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,382,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There is no comparison with downtown New York of course.

However, downtown Montreal would probably most similar to downtown Boston among the cities you mentioned. It is very walkable and very much "alive" (ie people on the streets at all hours).
Downtown boston is ridiculously tiny with very little to see or do so I hope not.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:34 PM

41 posts, read 203,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
Downtown boston is ridiculously tiny with very little to see or do so I hope not.
Right, although Boston is more similar to Montreal than LA or Las Vegas in that it is of traditional Eastern urbanism. But Montreal is not like any other city beyond this point. Las Vegas and LA, for instance, are very much alike; I'd say the only substantive difference is one of industry (gambling vs. movies). Philadelphia and Baltimore differ mostly in terms of size (and so the diversity of arts, entertainment, etc.).

More than most cities, Montreal is a place of celebration and that's what many people see as "culture." In fact, Montreal is merely good at cultural expression, which is what keeps it alive, diverse, and in dialogue. No other place in North American I've been to--and I admit that I'm not the jet setter some are in this forum--has that ease of celebration on the whole.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:52 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
LOL

why not compare Montreal to London while you're at it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal