Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 05:06 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,057,569 times

Advertisements

While Berkeley is also still growing quickly, Mon County has overtaken it as the fastest growing county and, according to census estimates, now has the third most people of any county in the state...

Census: Monongalia County now WV's fastest-growing county - Business, Government Legal News from throughout WV

Researchers have predicted that Mon's growth rate will actully grow over the next 5 years from the current 2.4% per year to 2.8% per year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 05:12 PM

14,187 posts, read 22,768,179 times
That's 'cuz it's the closest thing to Pennsylvania without being in Pennsylvania.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:58 PM

Yep, and the closest place for folks who want to escape from PA.

(just kidding)

Old 04-06-2012, 10:27 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,883,499 times
IMO, the best city in WV.

The political, demographic, and economic power is shifting up to Morgantown.

It will transform the state for the better.

I see a glorious Morgantown-Pittsburgh corridor developing.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:37 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,350,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post

I would love to see that and it could be a possibility one day. It will require Pittsburgh to maintain the growth that it is having and Morgantown to continue to grow as rapidly as it is. Both economies are performing well above average throughout the recession which will attract people to move there. For the connection to be made, there needs to be some development between Morgantown and Washington since that is the last stretch of undeveloped land between the two cities

Old 04-06-2012, 07:00 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,565,663 times
I still have fond memories and therfore love Morganhole, but it's still Morganhole

Old 04-07-2012, 06:03 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,830,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post

The political, demographic, and economic power is shifting up to Morgantown.

It will transform the state for the better.

I agree. Morgantown is the most promising "satellite metro" for Pittsburgh to develop economic synergy. Most of the other nearby small metros are economic and demographic basketcases (Steubenville-Weirton, Wheeling, Johnstown, YOUNGSTOWN). The I-79 corridor from Grove City, PA through Clarksburg, WV is poised for great things.

Also interesting to compare Morgantown MSA's population growth to State College, PA MSA's growth... both similar sized metros (State College is about 30k larger)... "small towns" dominated by major research universities... but Metro Morgantown is gaining population at over 3x the rate of State College... and I believe Morgantown's much easier access to a major metro like Pittsburgh plays a part. State College is just too deep into the middle of nowhere.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
I agree. Morgantown is the most promising "satellite metro" for Pittsburgh to develop economic synergy. Most of the other nearby small metros are economic and demographic basketcases (Steubenville-Weirton, Wheeling, Johnstown, YOUNGSTOWN). The I-79 corridor from Grove City, PA through Clarksburg, WV is poised for great things.

Also interesting to compare Morgantown MSA's population growth to State College, PA MSA's growth... both similar sized metros (State College is about 30k larger)... "small towns" dominated by major research universities... but Metro Morgantown is gaining population at over 3x the rate of State College... and I believe Morgantown's much easier access to a major metro like Pittsburgh plays a part. State College is just too deep into the middle of nowhere.
That's true, but the metro designation is grossly misleading in many cases. We are no isolated here into a "metro" area, as you analysis points out. We are actually connected to Clarksburg/Fairmont/Uniontown and by extension Pittsburgh which is greatly helping our growth. More isolated areas don't have nearly the growth potential.

More on our growth characteristics...

Article - Numbers just adding up

Old 04-08-2012, 08:40 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,830,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
We are actually connected to Clarksburg/Fairmont/Uniontown and by extension Pittsburgh which is greatly helping our growth.
Don't forget Grafton!

Old 04-08-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
I still have fond memories and therfore love Morganhole, but it's still Morganhole
You must not have spent much time here lately then. It is a growing, dynamic, and prosperous town with many amenities these days, to add to the obvious outdoor amenities located nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown