Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 11:16 PM

286 posts, read 349,401 times

Advertisements

I know morgantown and martinsburg are growing rapidly, which other city could see rapid growth in WV besides these 2 places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 11:41 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,424,482 times
I wouldn't call any other growth "rapid" compared to those cities.

In order of my projected growth rate:

Charles Town/Ranson - DC Sprawl like Martinsburg
Bridgeport - Charles Pointe development, diverse economy, NCWV airport, proximity to Morgantown
Fairmont - between Morgantown and Bridgeport/Clarksburg. I haven't seen much push for residential growth, though
Moundsville - once the secondary industries start growing from the shale gas boom (see: chemicals), more permanent jobs will be available in the area.
Wheeling - ditto
Charleston - they're finally coming out of the '80s!
Elkins - once Corridor H is completed, access improves from the VA/DC side

Old 10-24-2012, 11:46 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,424,482 times
I could throw Huntington there too, but I'd wait and see how their economy handles recent job losses like Special Metals. It has grown economically and educationally moreso than in population the past few years. The people will follow soon, one would think.

One could argue for Fayetteville/Oak Hill/Beckley due to the Boy Scout Summit, but Fayetteville will always hold onto that cool small town vibe, Oak Hill is pretty depressing, and Beckley is facing the decline of the coal industry - it's largest economic driver after government. I don't think any southern county will see any growth whatsoever, except maybe Mingo County. They seem to be getting things done down there, both public and private.

Another note - Wheeling, Charleston, Bridgeport, and Huntington all were in the Home Rule pilot program that gave municipalities special jurisdiction without needing approvals from the State. Morgantown, too, was selected, but opted out due to uncertainties about the logistics.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:53 PM

4,968 posts, read 8,966,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
I could throw Huntington there too, but I'd wait and see how their economy handles recent job losses like Special Metals. It has grown economically and educationally moreso than in population the past few years. The people will follow soon, one would think.
Huntington has been growing economically, as you pointed out, and the people have begun to follow. Huntington has seen 4 straight years of population growth although it has been small. After 50 years of losses though, gains would be slow. Downtown has grown/improved tremendously over the last few years and it looks to continue the trend. Thankfully, Special Metals has been the only recent job loss and there are plans to hire those workers back once market conditions improve. We also have new businesses opening in the coming months that will erase those losses at the least.

With Marshall growing, downtown improving and the citizens taking a larger role in revitalization, things look good for Huntington at the moment. The upcoming municipal elections will really effect the speed at which this happens. I think people here are finally excited and optimistic about Huntington's future and that in and of itself makes a world of difference.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:14 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,055,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
I wouldn't call any other growth "rapid" compared to those cities.

In order of my projected growth rate:

Charles Town/Ranson - DC Sprawl like Martinsburg
Bridgeport - Charles Pointe development, diverse economy, NCWV airport, proximity to Morgantown
Fairmont - between Morgantown and Bridgeport/Clarksburg. I haven't seen much push for residential growth, though
Moundsville - once the secondary industries start growing from the shale gas boom (see: chemicals), more permanent jobs will be available in the area.
Wheeling - ditto
Charleston - they're finally coming out of the '80s!
Elkins - once Corridor H is completed, access improves from the VA/DC side
I'd say you are pretty much on target here. They had a story on tv the other day about growth at Bridgeport due to Charles Pointe and the FBI Center, and anticipated developments related to now having the state's longest airport runway capable of handling larger planes. I also agree that the Northern Panhandle is poised for significant shale gas related growth in the upcoming years. Not too sure about Elkins though. Virginia does not want to participate in the Corridor H development, and it takes a lot more than having cars passing through on highways to make things happen. They have had a lot of cars passing through Charleston for many years now and we have witnessed what has happened there related to that... next to nothing.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:33 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,700,168 times
That is good that you want those cities to thrive once again. But here is the big question; how do do you think it should happen? What steps should be taken?

Old 10-30-2012, 08:41 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,055,971 times
The biggest single impediment to growth and prosperity in West Virginia is the stranglehold the unions have on the political process. The state is perceived as being unfriendly to business due to the fact that there is no right to work law in place. Only 20% of WV workers are represented by unions, but because they are organized, and because they put money in special interest political pockets, they keep a right to work law from being passed. Nearby states have such laws, and it puts us at a competitive disadvantage. The 20% that have union representation basically ruin it for everyone else.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:58 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,144,531 times
Quote:
The state is perceived as being unfriendly to business due to the fact that there is no right to work law in place.
Mississippi is right to work.

Time to make up another excuse rather than blame unions for WV's woes.

Quote:
because they are organized, and because they put money in special interest political pockets
They are nothing compared to corporate interests. Nothing.

I guess you aren't just irrational in sports, but in other topics as well.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:26 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,804,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Mississippi is right to work.

Time to make up another excuse rather than blame unions for WV's woes.

They are nothing compared to corporate interests. Nothing.

I guess you aren't just irrational in sports, but in other topics as well.
Generally all the states that are right to work have a better economy than WV. Almost all of the top state economies are right to work states. Virginia, Texas, and North Carolina are 3 of them. Most of them also have better economies than OH or PA. CNBC ranks WV the 3rd worst state to do business in.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:49 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,882,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Generally all the states that are right to work have a better economy than WV. Almost all of the top state economies are right to work states. Virginia, Texas, and North Carolina are 3 of them. Most of them also have better economies than OH or PA. CNBC ranks WV the 3rd worst state to do business in.
Morgantown has one of the best economies in the country...

WV is not doing bad because of right to work, but due to a reliance on coal, letting all the wealth from coal to be sent out of state, failing to use the coal revenue to improve the state, a corrupt state government, and only funding a few areas of the state.

I know people want to make the economy seem like a black and white issue, where one policy can change things. However, the truth is it is more complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown