Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 12:38 PM

354 posts, read 505,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I know this much. A Sheetz is a lot better than a decaying former auto dealership that isn't serving any positive purpose, and a Sheetz there is a step up from the most immediate neighbors. However, if you have a bunch of money to invest and some ideas of your own, you might be able to buy this property from Sheetz before they begin construction and put your own better plan in play. I don't think anybody would complain if you were to do that.
By that logic a parking lot would be better than a decaying car dealership, but some of us understand those aren't the only two options and that there's potential to increase the attractiveness and liveability of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 01:08 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystreet21 View Post
By that logic a parking lot would be better than a decaying car dealership, but some of us understand those aren't the only two options and that there's potential to increase the attractiveness and liveability of the city.
Understanding limitless options is one thing. Making something happen is another. The place has been sitting empty and there is a viable development stepping forward. If you know of something better and can make it happen, bring it forward. Otherwise, sit back and watch someone else make something happen.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:50 AM

6 posts, read 7,211 times
Exactly my point CTmountaineer. Grey street doesn't understand that anyone could have taken the property and they didn't. Look at the lot next to it. It has been vacant now since Hines Tire went out. I don't eat Sheetz food. I dine on High St. 4 nights a week and support the locals. The fact is this piece of land is expensive. Not many small businesses will pay to be there. The nice thing is , the study of feasibility has been done and if I were a small business, I would get as close to this store as possible. Sheetz has already spent the money on traffic patterns.
Not sure how long Grey expects a land owner to hold out when someone offers to buy/ lease his property in the hope that Macy's wants to build a 10 story department store and start a real city in Morgantown.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:22 PM

250 posts, read 331,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvmorgantown View Post
Exactly my point CTmountaineer. Grey street doesn't understand that anyone could have taken the property and they didn't. Look at the lot next to it. It has been vacant now since Hines Tire went out. I don't eat Sheetz food. I dine on High St. 4 nights a week and support the locals. The fact is this piece of land is expensive. Not many small businesses will pay to be there. The nice thing is , the study of feasibility has been done and if I were a small business, I would get as close to this store as possible. Sheetz has already spent the money on traffic patterns.
Not sure how long Grey expects a land owner to hold out when someone offers to buy/ lease his property in the hope that Macy's wants to build a 10 story department store and start a real city in Morgantown.
Look, the Sheetz there...in a word...sucks. With that said, if it gets something started at the end of High Street (and the other vacant lots down the street from the sheetz) then the end will justfiy the means....I guess.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:28 PM

250 posts, read 331,989 times
Quote:
I agree with this 100%. Nothing against the Salvation Army or the homeless shelter, but I hope this serves as motivation for relocating those enterprises, adding a lane for traffic on that block, and more businesses there. Also, somebody needs to kick city council in the butt and get them to relocate the sewage pump station from that region by the river.
CT, I'm confused when you mention knocing out the Salvation army and the homeless shelter and adding a lane of traffic...the city just put up a new municipal building...there's no way they are going to widen Beechurst....ever. Even if they did there, it still is going to bottleneck by Stansbury and they can't widen it there.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph3000 View Post
CT, I'm confused when you mention knocing out the Salvation army and the homeless shelter and adding a lane of traffic...the city just put up a new municipal building...there's no way they are going to widen Beechurst....ever. Even if they did there, it still is going to bottleneck by Stansbury and they can't widen it there.
It wasn't the city and it wasn't a municipal building. The County built a new Sheriff's Office on that side of the street further east.

They can widen it there for that block only and provide for the turning lane that reduces traffic to one lane eastbound on that side of the road, causing a major bottleneck during daytime.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:07 AM

671 posts, read 1,057,716 times
Quote:
It wasn't the city and it wasn't a municipal building. The County built a new Sheriff's Office on that side of the street further east.

They can widen it there for that block only and provide for the turning lane that reduces traffic to one lane eastbound on that side of the road, causing a major bottleneck during daytime.
*glad that you are not our city planner.

No offense CT, but traffic in town has been much improved since the state made its changes to University.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam36 View Post
*glad that you are not our city planner.

No offense CT, but traffic in town has been much improved since the state made its changes to University.
Traffic has improved there, but there is still the bottleneck where University reduces to one lane eastbound. Making that change there would provide another major improvement.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:54 PM

6 posts, read 7,211 times
Traffic can be and has been eased in some places along university ave. but, let's face it, until the road is four lane from the coliseum to the the Westover bridge, it will be a problem.
I think the addition of Sheetz and the county taking over the old post office will help kick start development on the south end of town. Does anyone know when Sheetz will start the project?

Old 05-13-2015, 06:36 AM

671 posts, read 1,057,716 times
Ugh -- yet another Sheetz -- this one at the intersection of Grafton and Hornbeck Rds, on the side of Hornbeck -- it was in the Dominion Post today. They have found a market that they can dominate, and dominate they will. At least this will be in Morgantown city limits, so it'll boost the tax base. I'm not sure whether it will sit north or south of Hornbeck Rd, but my guess would be south of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown