Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 02:28 PM

286 posts, read 348,660 times

Advertisements

Traffic is the only thing keeping me from living in Morgantown, it's honestly unbearable. Something has to be don its blasphemes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 03:04 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wvu2016 View Post
Traffic is the only thing keeping me from living in Morgantown, it's honestly unbearable. Something has to be don its blasphemes
The problem is state roads. State won't improve them or build new ones. The money is earmarked for mega interstates in the middle of nowhere.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:29 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Quote:
Our state government has just plain left us down. Then actually are so stupidly run that they seem to work to inhibit our potential however they can do it. Like Havoc said, the sky is the limit for Morgantown. We need infrastructure right now, but the Boss Hogg politicos from south of Sutton choose to squander resources on empty projects in the middle of nowhere hoping to create a few minimum wage tourism jobs.
Stupid does not even begin to approach it. However, I would encourage you to move here. This is an absolutely wonderful place to live, making the fact that you have to wait more than worth the effort.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:41 PM

49 posts, read 107,684 times
Quote:
I truly understand, I deal with the traffic everyday, however if you have the luxury of being able to live close to where you live, you really can mitigate the traffic.

While there are days I bang my head because of the traffic here, a lot of people in NOVA, would trade commutes in a heartbeat.

Having said that, there is still a lot that can be done, and I hope to see a lot of progress in the next decade...not holding my breath.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:06 PM

354 posts, read 505,845 times
It seems morgantown was not planned or developed to be a dense, high capacity city. It's a town built around a college campus, that's all. There's no core city center so you get mishmash development with no vision and no concern for non-students. If you're over 30 and don't work or go to school in morgantown, you'd be a masochist to live there.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:16 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
I very much disagree with that. This is an outstanding place to live and work. While we don't have the traditional downtown, as you pointed out, we have wonderful developments in the outlying areas custom designed for the populations who live near them. We go "downtown" for a lot of activities and some food, but we get what we need near where we live. The traffic has to do with state government shortcomings, not with planning. And, the traffic is in place because people want to be here. There is a reason for that. By the way, I'm over 70. My wife and I love it here. They have terrific planned activities for seniors, and being around a town with a large young population benefits both us and them.

You can go to a lot of towns that have little traffic, and the reason they have little traffic is because there is no desire or reason to be there. I believe you'd have to be a masochist to live in a place like that, a stagnant or declining community, when there are wonderful opportunities to live in a growing, dynamic place like Morgantown.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystreet21 View Post
It seems morgantown was not planned or developed to be a dense, high capacity city. It's a town built around a college campus, that's all. There's no core city center so you get mishmash development with no vision and no concern for non-students. If you're over 30 and don't work or go to school in morgantown, you'd be a masochist to live there.
That is not true at all.

There is a definite core in the downtown area.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:09 PM

354 posts, read 505,845 times
I believe those "wonderful developments" you tout blocked potential arteries you think we need.

State roads are not the problem! More roads will not reduce congestion. If Morgantown wants to be more than a college town, leaders need to learn how to build a city. It can start with planning development around people and not cars. Otherwise you get more sprawl, more traffic, and expansive concrete money pits.

Old 08-31-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
I believe those "wonderful developments" you tout blocked potential arteries you think we need.

State roads are not the problem! More roads will not reduce congestion. If Morgantown wants to be more than a college town, leaders need to learn how to build a city. It can start with planning development around people and not cars. Otherwise you get more sprawl, more traffic, and expansive concrete money pits.
The fact remains that ALL the issues are state roads.

Morgantown already has the best public transit system in WV and is the most dense and urban city in WV. The quality of life, economy, and reputation of Morgantown is so great people are moving in in massive numbers, both in Morgantown and outside of it.

The only solution is the state needs to do its job. However, the Charleston political machine fears Morgantown as it is their doom and is doing everything they can to try and delay it and reallocate money to special interest before Morgantown takes over.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:09 AM

671 posts, read 1,057,529 times
Quote:

Greystreet, I completely agree that Morgantown needs to be responsible for itself. Even if this problem was caused by the state, it is our problem here and requires our efforts to make a change (rather than the usual complaints about how state gov't has failed this city...). Although I agree with you, you cannot argue common sense to Cry and CT, so I wouldn't worry about trying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown