Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 11:49 AM

632 posts, read 832,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
I'd agree on certain things, but my fiancé and I are looking for a town house to rent right now and it is insanely hard to find one that isn't over $1200 or looks like it is about to collapse. Hopefully if there is over saturation in student rentals, some of the neighborhoods now flooded with rental units start returning to single family housing and some of the more rundown properties are torn down to be rebuilt with nicer buildings so they can better compete and finally I would love to see (never going to happen) rental prices go down.
This is also true. "Adult" housing is in high demand. My wife and I ran into a similar problem when I was finishing grad school a couple of years ago. The massive, generic apartment complexes have been overbuilt and are not getting rented out (The Ridge, West Run Apts, The Lofts, Campus Evolution (The District), State on Campus, UPlace, University Park, College Park, Mountain Valley, etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 06:36 PM

124 posts, read 151,440 times
Its hard to believe that some of the houses along Willey street are renting for 3,000 a month and they look like any moment they could collapse. With so many vacancies, and the profits so great to the ones occupied, I don't see anything new being built soon.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:17 PM

334 posts, read 496,021 times
Officially dead The Dominion Post - www.dominionpost.com

Stay classy Biafora

Old 01-12-2018, 07:32 AM

250 posts, read 331,989 times
Quote:
When contacted on Jan. 11, he said he’s not surprised CA Student Living decided to move on. He said all the legal rulings in the world wouldn’t make the building fit on the available space.

“They won in circuit court and we appealed and they won at the Supreme Court against us,” he said. “We lost, but it sure looks like we won, doesn’t it?”
Really? Who is "We". How is STC doing these days on that Indian burial ground? Oh, more stores have gone out of business?

Old 01-12-2018, 10:46 PM

202 posts, read 218,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 304eer View Post
I believe this more than anything above. Morgantown is way overbuilt at the moment
I agree, but if there is so much vacancy, why are rents still sky high (for an area no more afluent than WV, and for the quality of the housing offered)?

Old 01-13-2018, 12:02 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 304eer View Post
This is also true. "Adult" housing is in high demand. My wife and I ran into a similar problem when I was finishing grad school a couple of years ago. The massive, generic apartment complexes have been overbuilt and are not getting rented out (The Ridge, West Run Apts, The Lofts, Campus Evolution (The District), State on Campus, UPlace, University Park, College Park, Mountain Valley, etc
I don't think they're overbuilt. You are seeing an adjustment period. Prices will adjust downward until people fill the units. In the process, the crappy properties won't be able to compete and will come off line. There are a lot of slumlords who would love to unload their properties right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown