Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2018, 07:16 PM

1,854 posts, read 2,228,393 times

Advertisements

Very convenient that almost all of our big projects are at the end of this road bond timeframe....It's almost like it was set up this way. If it is true they purposefully underestimated costs, you can guarantee they also put our big projects at the end on purpose knowing there wouldn't be money for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 06:47 AM

77 posts, read 83,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
New website to track all of the road construction progress in the county as part of the road bonds.

https://transportation.wv.gov/drivef...ies=Monongalia

They have beechurst not being started until 2021......$&%#@*!

Star City exit construction isn't planned until 2020......$&%#@*!

With the wheeling bridge project coming in way over expected cost, I'll be stunned if we ever see these projects. Probably why all of the major projects in Mon County are later on the list (years wise), because the state knows it'll run out of money from the bonds before getting to these. "Sorry Mon county, we really did want to fix your roads but darn you were to far back on the list and we ran out of money before getting to you guys. Thanks again though voting to approve this, the rest of the state really appreciates it!"

Mileground is apparently starting this November and running through September of 2020....I'll believe it when I see it (but I've noticed flags in the ground in a couple places and they are in the process of moving one of the billboards out of the way)

It is weird that 705 isn't on the list, I thought it was part of the road bonds projects.

They have the airport exit bridge (I68 Pierpont exit) listed as starting in July this year and lasting until May 2019. Unless I missed something over the weekend they haven't even got signage up yet for the bridge construction. If we see it this year, I bet they start just in time for football season.
Just giving more reasons for young professionals to move out of this state. My wife and I returned to WV b/c it's home - but the more this Charleston nonsense continues, the greater our incentive is to move on to greener pastures.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:34 AM

632 posts, read 832,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
Very convenient that almost all of our big projects are at the end of this road bond timeframe....It's almost like it was set up this way. If it is true they purposefully underestimated costs, you can guarantee they also put our big projects at the end on purpose knowing there wouldn't be money for them.
That's not how that works. I'm currently working with DOH on some projects related to the bond. The projects at the front of the line are projects that have been in the works for years/decades that were considered "go" projects by the DOH. There's a lot of things on the front end that need done before a project can be started (surveying, permitting, design, etc). I guarantee most of the Morgantown area projects are newer projects for the DOH and therefore a lot of the information and background work needs gathered first.

The Mileground will be the first to be completed. It is very close

Old 07-31-2018, 09:02 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,615,978 times
What 'nonsense' in Charleston are you referring to? Not having your preferred road projects at the top of the list? As 304eer pointed out many of the projects being funded have been on drawing boards for long periods of time but had not moved forward due to lack of funds. Young people continue to leave the state because of the lack of jobs, not whether or not a road gets widened in Star City. In addition, many places with greener pastures also have far worse traffic than anything in Morgantown.

Old 07-31-2018, 05:17 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 304eer View Post
That's not how that works. I'm currently working with DOH on some projects related to the bond. The projects at the front of the line are projects that have been in the works for years/decades that were considered "go" projects by the DOH. There's a lot of things on the front end that need done before a project can be started (surveying, permitting, design, etc). I guarantee most of the Morgantown area projects are newer projects for the DOH and therefore a lot of the information and background work needs gathered first.

The Mileground will be the first to be completed. It is very close
I don't usually post on here these days, but I'm going to chime in here. I agree with you that most of the projects they are supposed to be doing in Morgantown are newer projects. That is because for the past 10 years, state government has routinely neglected it's responsibilities in Mon County. Most of the projects listed should have been completed years ago, and places in our state with significantly less local traffic have illogically had higher priorities in terms of projects.

Old 07-31-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
What 'nonsense' in Charleston are you referring to? Not having your preferred road projects at the top of the list? As 304eer pointed out many of the projects being funded have been on drawing boards for long periods of time but had not moved forward due to lack of funds. Young people continue to leave the state because of the lack of jobs, not whether or not a road gets widened in Star City. In addition, many places with greener pastures also have far worse traffic than anything in Morgantown.
There is plenty of nonsense involved with that six figure income political hack machine in Charleston that is so inept they can't even figure out how many cars are in their motor pool. The number of major errors made by that brain trust grows virtually weekly.

There is no place in our state that has the local traffic issues and traffic faced in our city. It is easy to prove that looking at the road traffic counts made available by the DoH. Getting roads widened and repaired in our city is of vital importance to us ... more so than most cities in our state that once had larger populations and due to declines now have infrastructure that is beyond adequate.

We do a pretty good job here of providing jobs for our young people. While every local economy has it's ups and downs, overall ours is very healthy and growing, in spite of Heather Manchin's disgusting self serving behavior. This year, we lost 488 jobs in manufacturing (due to Heather) but gained 800 jobs in healthcare. We do just fine here, and we need roads to keep up with the demand. With the system in place in our state, it is state government's responsibility to provide those for us. To date, they have failed miserably.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:08 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,509,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
There is plenty of nonsense involved with that six figure income political hack machine in Charleston that is so inept they can't even figure out how many cars are in their motor pool. The number of major errors made by that brain trust grows virtually weekly.

We do a pretty good job here of providing jobs for our young people. While every local economy has it's ups and downs, overall ours is very healthy and growing, in spite of Heather Manchin's disgusting self serving behavior.
Yes and don't forget the flood relief scandal that is still developing. $150 million dollars and two years later there are still many people not in homes. If that is any indication how the state will manage the Roads to Prosperity funds we are doomed. Funny you mention Manchin's daughter and her self serving behavior....it appears that his niece was one of the people in charge of flood relief. Many in the public are not aware of this. Here are some excerpts for anyone interested. MetroNews has done a good job connecting the players in this. This is another example of why people can't trust state government on roads or anything else. Many are inclined to believe the worst where the road bond is concerned at this point. Taking advantage of flood victims is about as low as it gets. We don't even have the State Supreme Court to protect us as they are all under investigation too.

Long-term flood relief was run through West Virginia Rise and the state Department of Commerce, where Mary Jo Thompson, a niece of Sen. Joe Manchin and his constituent services director when he was governor, is director of community development.
<skip>
The Legislative Auditor is questioning whether any homes have been completed under the contracts.
It raised the question after an examination of the payments. Boiled down, the invoices don’t add up to indicate completion of any single home.
“The Legislative Auditor concludes that none of these payments represent a full home reconstruction.
“As such, the Legislative Auditor questions whether any individual homeowner has received full assistance from the Rise West Virginia flood recovery program.”
<skip>
Millions more in federal dollars are under scrutiny for construction contractors that won bids for West Virginia’s rebuilding.
Four contractors won bids worth $71,430,000, almost half the total federal dollars available.
The largest was Thompson Construction, a regional company that provides rehabilitation, reconstruction and manufactured housing. That work totals $49 million. Thompson’s lobbyist is Larry Puccio, Gov. Jim Justice’s transition team leader and now senior adviser to Senator Manchin’s re-election campaign.

WV MetroNews – Audit: WV unlawfully executed flood relief contracts worth millions and helped no one

Old 07-31-2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
Yes and don't forget the flood relief scandal that is still developing. $150 million dollars and two years later there are still many people not in homes. If that is any indication how the state will manage the Roads to Prosperity funds we are doomed. Funny you mention Manchin's daughter and her self serving behavior....it appears that his niece was one of the people in charge of flood relief. Many in the public are not aware of this. Here are some excerpts for anyone interested. MetroNews has done a good job connecting the players in this. This is another example of why people can't trust state government on roads or anything else. Many are inclined to believe the worst where the road bond is concerned at this point. Taking advantage of flood victims is about as low as it gets. We don't even have the State Supreme Court to protect us as they are all under investigation too.

Long-term flood relief was run through West Virginia Rise and the state Department of Commerce, where Mary Jo Thompson, a niece of Sen. Joe Manchin and his constituent services director when he was governor, is director of community development.
<skip>
The Legislative Auditor is questioning whether any homes have been completed under the contracts.
It raised the question after an examination of the payments. Boiled down, the invoices don’t add up to indicate completion of any single home.
“The Legislative Auditor concludes that none of these payments represent a full home reconstruction.
“As such, the Legislative Auditor questions whether any individual homeowner has received full assistance from the Rise West Virginia flood recovery program.”
<skip>
Millions more in federal dollars are under scrutiny for construction contractors that won bids for West Virginia’s rebuilding.
Four contractors won bids worth $71,430,000, almost half the total federal dollars available.
The largest was Thompson Construction, a regional company that provides rehabilitation, reconstruction and manufactured housing. That work totals $49 million. Thompson’s lobbyist is Larry Puccio, Gov. Jim Justice’s transition team leader and now senior adviser to Senator Manchin’s re-election campaign.

WV MetroNews – Audit: WV unlawfully executed flood relief contracts worth millions and helped no one
Those folks spent tens of thousands of federal money on a junket at Stonewall Resort recently, when they had basically accomplished nothing. The leadership in our state government is inept, nepotistic, and crony oriented.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:43 AM

632 posts, read 832,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I don't usually post on here these days, but I'm going to chime in here. I agree with you that most of the projects they are supposed to be doing in Morgantown are newer projects. That is because for the past 10 years, state government has routinely neglected it's responsibilities in Mon County. Most of the projects listed should have been completed years ago, and places in our state with significantly less local traffic have illogically had higher priorities in terms of projects.
There are projects all over the state that should have been completed 10-20 years ago. It's not just a Morgantown thing. People from Morgantown need to get this chip off their shoulder that Charleston is trying to screw them. If that was the case, things like the I-64 expansion would have been completed decades ago. The fact is, that money just isn't there. And when it is, it's unfortunately mandated for things like the Appalachian Corridor Projects which are federal government supplemented

Old 08-01-2018, 08:52 AM

77 posts, read 83,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 304eer View Post
There are projects all over the state that should have been completed 10-20 years ago. It's not just a Morgantown thing. People from Morgantown need to get this chip off their shoulder that Charleston is trying to screw them. If that was the case, things like the I-64 expansion would have been completed decades ago. The fact is, that money just isn't there. And when it is, it's unfortunately mandated for things like the Appalachian Corridor Projects which are federal government supplemented
While it may be true that not everything that Charleston does to screw over the northern part of the state is intentional, the unintentional stupidity serves the same purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown