Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2019, 06:16 PM

1,854 posts, read 2,228,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EerWax View Post
Got word the contract for Patteson, Van Voorhis, and 705 is out for bid right now. Completion date set for July 15th. Construction to begin immediately after the bid is awarded.
SWEET!!!! Hope they just tear everything out and start over, I’ll gladly deal with 5 months of awful traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 05:27 AM

273 posts, read 382,368 times
Quote:
Got word the contract for Patteson, Van Voorhis, and 705 is out for bid right now. Completion date set for July 15th. Construction to begin immediately after the bid is awarded.
Either A) that’s an ambitious timeline which will be missed or B) what they’ve said will be done won’t and the road will be back to present state in a couple of years. Which do you think?

Old 02-12-2019, 07:12 AM

202 posts, read 218,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji2086 View Post
Either A) that’s an ambitious timeline which will be missed or B) what they’ve said will be done won’t and the road will be back to present state in a couple of years. Which do you think?
My guess is they just gob some asphalt int he concrete craters and pave the easy part from STC to the mileground. No way the will fix it on time and correctly (basing this the fact that the proposal was only to "fix" concrete not replace anything, and past failed efforts)

Old 02-12-2019, 09:49 AM

491 posts, read 610,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji2086 View Post
They have to be planning on working day/night if they want this thing done before the students arrive and football traffic begins. I imagine there will be financial penalties involved if they stretch past the first weekend in August.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:38 PM

250 posts, read 331,989 times
......and pothole season has already started. The amount of moisture this area has seen over the past...I dunno..7 months? has got to be some kind of record. I know the roads are a complete disaster but holy hell, I'm not sure how anything holds up against the volume of water on them - even roads that have good drainage are struggling.

That being said, the deck on 119 going over I-68 is going to collapse at some point and kill someone below and don't even bother going Mileground. Honest to god, I've never seen a traveled road look like that....ever.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph3000 View Post
......and pothole season has already started. The amount of moisture this area has seen over the past...I dunno..7 months? has got to be some kind of record. I know the roads are a complete disaster but holy hell, I'm not sure how anything holds up against the volume of water on them - even roads that have good drainage are struggling.

That being said, the deck on 119 going over I-68 is going to collapse at some point and kill someone below and don't even bother going Mileground. Honest to god, I've never seen a traveled road look like that....ever.
I was just thinking we have been getting a crazy amount of rain the last year or so.

That bridge is atrocious, the I-79 bridge over goshen road is being held up by an I beam because the bridge supports have completely deteriorated in multiple areas and now the Star City exit I-79 bridge is being held up by a couple I beams because a truck wrecked into the bridge majorly damaging one of the main beams. This bridge needs to be replaced in the next couple years anyway but I highly doubt they will bother. It is freighting to think about how many bridges will no longer be structurally safe in this area in the next 10 years or so.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:19 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
I was just thinking we have been getting a crazy amount of rain the last year or so.

That bridge is atrocious, the I-79 bridge over goshen road is being held up by an I beam because the bridge supports have completely deteriorated in multiple areas and now the Star City exit I-79 bridge is being held up by a couple I beams because a truck wrecked into the bridge majorly damaging one of the main beams. This bridge needs to be replaced in the next couple years anyway but I highly doubt they will bother. It is freighting to think about how many bridges will no longer be structurally safe in this area in the next 10 years or so.
Most of the Interstate bridges in our country haven't been replaced in 60 years and are ready to cause catastrophe. It seems our government seldom takes a pro active position and is only moved to action by tragedy. One hopes that when they are replaced, common sense will prevail and they will be built to accommodate an extra lane of traffic in both directions, but in our state, I wouldn't count on that.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:56 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
Northern West Virginia communities have been hard at work, using mostly their own funds, to create integrated rail trail systems. Efforts are underway to merge our systems with others that will connect our Industrial Heartland, the Great Allegheny Passage between Pittsburgh and DC/Baltimore, and eventually the planned 4,000 mile cross country trail network. The Industrial Heartland Trails Coalition is part of that effort. These efforts will promote healthy living and tourism in the region.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmFt...&feature=share

Old 02-13-2019, 06:16 AM

491 posts, read 610,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Most of the Interstate bridges in our country haven't been replaced in 60 years and are ready to cause catastrophe. It seems our government seldom takes a pro active position and is only moved to action by tragedy. One hopes that when they are replaced, common sense will prevail and they will be built to accommodate an extra lane of traffic in both directions, but in our state, I wouldn't count on that.
Instead of total replacement most DOH/T's are moving to deck replacement. Cut away the old concrete, fix the rebar, rehab the columns, and pour new concrete. 4-6 month deal as opposed to 1-2 years.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Instead of total replacement most DOH/T's are moving to deck replacement. Cut away the old concrete, fix the rebar, rehab the columns, and pour new concrete. 4-6 month deal as opposed to 1-2 years.
I'd be fine with that as long as the structural support is still sound but when they do this they need to make the bridge be able to support three lanes in each direction. (like what they did in Berkeley county before they fully expanded the highway)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown