Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2016, 08:50 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,603,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowWin View Post
Would they do a MarketDistrict so close to the regular Giant Eagle?
They could always shut down the old store and sublet it to different stores (assuming that they're still stuck with the lease).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 08:51 PM

1,854 posts, read 2,226,803 times
Quote:
I think if they did a Market district, they would close that giant eagle and sell the lot. If it isn't a market district, giant eagle is going to regret not building a market district there, because a 100-125k sqf grocery store is going to majorly hurt them.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:19 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,039,100 times
Quote:
Different sides of the Intestate = different customer base. Sheetz also has 2 locations here in Morgantown that are less than 1/2 mile from each other.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:59 PM

890 posts, read 1,052,795 times
Quote:

My hometown literally has a Full sized Mcdonalds and a McDonald's Inside a Walmart within less than 100 yards from eachother........And Another full sized McDonalds about a mile down the road......Theres plenty of other examples of the same chain locations seemingly too close to eachother, but Ive long since ceased to be surprised by such things........But Id still rather see 5 of the same gas stations or fast food locations within a 10 mile radius, as opposed to nothin but untapped land, whether it be flat prairie or tree infested hills.......Urban sprawl over rural land all day everyday!

Old 10-21-2016, 07:54 AM

255 posts, read 391,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Different sides of the Intestate = different customer base. Sheetz also has 2 locations here in Morgantown that are less than 1/2 mile from each other.
I neither agree nor disagree but just to throw in a few ideas and thoughts.

Giant Eagle is currently having problems. Their sales are have gone down recently and their attempts to improve things have been to decrease selection and emphasis things like fuel perks. They have also opened Market Districts and Market District Express in many locations. I wouldn't mind a Market District as it as close to Whole Foods as we are likely to get. I still am not convinced that they would want two GEs at the same exit. i know that there are often more than one McDonald's, Sheetz, Starbucks close to each other. I've been to cities where there were two Starbucks on opposite corners of an intersection and they both were busy but grocery stores are different.

Size isn't everything (cue bad jokes). Does anyone remember the Giant Eagle that used to be in the upper section of Morgantown Mall. A lot of people I knew wouldn't shop there saying it was too big. It wasn't actually too big it was poorly designed. It was difficult to run in and just get a few things. It seems as if they designed it so you were forced to go through as many sections as possible to get to what you wanted. It was a maze.

While the standard GEs have gone downhill, Kroger has upped their game. They have remodeled stores and improved selection. They also added fuel perks and senior discounts on Tuesdays which seems to be a big success. I was in GE last Tuesday afternoon and they were almost empty; Kroger's is busy on Tuesday.

Although size might not be everything it can be very important. GE would be wise to find a good location somewhere in the area for a Market District before Kroger''s beats them. Kroger's is opening larger stores called Kroger Marketplace although they sound more like an attempt to compete with SuperWalmart and Target with a larger selection of home goods, small appliances etc. GE at UTC is going to get some minimalist competition when the new Aldi's opens, so opening a Market District and closing the GE might be wise.

Kroger's is very good at picking locations. All three of their stores are located where they will pick off particular customer bases without self-cannibalization. The new shopping center would be an excellent location for them.

At this point I guess we must wait and see. I wouldn't be surprised at much of anything at this point. Are there other options for other grocery stores? None that I know of in our part of the country that are that big.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:20 AM

Quote:
I neither agree nor disagree but just to throw in a few ideas and thoughts.

Giant Eagle is currently having problems. Their sales are have gone down recently and their attempts to improve things have been to decrease selection and emphasis things like fuel perks. They have also opened Market Districts and Market District Express in many locations. I wouldn't mind a Market District as it as close to Whole Foods as we are likely to get. I still am not convinced that they would want two GEs at the same exit. i know that there are often more than one McDonald's, Sheetz, Starbucks close to each other. I've been to cities where there were two Starbucks on opposite corners of an intersection and they both were busy but grocery stores are different.

Size isn't everything (cue bad jokes). Does anyone remember the Giant Eagle that used to be in the upper section of Morgantown Mall. A lot of people I knew wouldn't shop there saying it was too big. It wasn't actually too big it was poorly designed. It was difficult to run in and just get a few things. It seems as if they designed it so you were forced to go through as many sections as possible to get to what you wanted. It was a maze.

While the standard GEs have gone downhill, Kroger has upped their game. They have remodeled stores and improved selection. They also added fuel perks and senior discounts on Tuesdays which seems to be a big success. I was in GE last Tuesday afternoon and they were almost empty; Kroger's is busy on Tuesday.

Although size might not be everything it can be very important. GE would be wise to find a good location somewhere in the area for a Market District before Kroger''s beats them. Kroger's is opening larger stores called Kroger Marketplace although they sound more like an attempt to compete with SuperWalmart and Target with a larger selection of home goods, small appliances etc. GE at UTC is going to get some minimalist competition when the new Aldi's opens, so opening a Market District and closing the GE might be wise.

Kroger's is very good at picking locations. All three of their stores are located where they will pick off particular customer bases without self-cannibalization. The new shopping center would be an excellent location for them.

At this point I guess we must wait and see. I wouldn't be surprised at much of anything at this point. Are there other options for other grocery stores? None that I know of in our part of the country that are that big.
That's the thing, the only big chains are giant eagle, Kroger and whole foods. There is that one, more specialized large grocery store chain in Pittsburgh, but I can't remember their name, but I doubt they look to expand to our area. We unfortunately are not getting a whole foods and that store is way to large for a whole foods. Safeway isn't located anywhere near here, so I highly doubt if they are expanding they would pick a store in such a geographical island. I really want a Market District, but I'm afraid it will be a Kroger and thereby lock up this market and make it pretty much improbable we would ever get a Market District. I also worry if that store does end up being a Kroger, we once again will not have a next tier up / upper scale grocery store that we really do need here. The small giant eagle will not be able to survive if the large grocery store turns out to be a Kroger, I would hope the company realizes that.

Also, has anyone ever stayed at a Drury Inn and Suites?

Old 10-21-2016, 08:34 AM

632 posts, read 831,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
That's the thing, the only big chains are giant eagle, Kroger and whole foods. There is that one, more specialized large grocery store chain in Pittsburgh, but I can't remember their name, but I doubt they look to expand to our area. We unfortunately are not getting a whole foods and that store is way to large for a whole foods. Safeway isn't located anywhere near here, so I highly doubt if they are expanding they would pick a store in such a geographical island. I really want a Market District, but I'm afraid it will be a Kroger and thereby lock up this market and make it pretty much improbable we would ever get a Market District. I also worry if that store does end up being a Kroger, we once again will not have a next tier up / upper scale grocery store that we really do need here. The small giant eagle will not be able to survive if the large grocery store turns out to be a Kroger, I would hope the company realizes that.

Also, has anyone ever stayed at a Drury Inn and Suites?

Yes, less than impressed

Old 10-21-2016, 09:31 AM

83 posts, read 100,184 times
How would you feel if the store was Wegmans?

Old 10-21-2016, 09:41 AM

255 posts, read 391,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pxhaney View Post
That's an interesting idea. They are definitely expanding. There are a bunch in Northern Virginia. The closest ones seem to be State College PA and Frederick, MD.

I've never been in one; wouldn't mind another option. They don't have big name recognition in our area so they might prefer to try a larger market such as Pittsburgh area first but who knows. How big are their stores?

Last edited by WillowWin; 10-21-2016 at 10:04 AM..

Old 10-21-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxhaney View Post
I would be over the moon if it was Wegmans, I LOVE that place. By far my favorite grocery store!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown