Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 02:25 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchunk View Post
I think one of the things that make a city, whether it's Morgantown or any other old city, look trashy is the overhead electrical lines, cable lines, phone lines that are heavily strung along roadways like Beechurst or the Mileground. I wish they were able to bury them all when they do the road widening projects.
I absolutely agree with that. The current administration plans to spend almost $3 billion on infrastructure, an only a small portion of that in our area in spite of the obvious need. You'd think they would at least bury the overhead lines, but that is not in the plans. I'd be in favor of the county stepping in and doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 02:40 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,509,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchunk View Post
I think one of the things that make a city, whether it's Morgantown or any other old city, look trashy is the overhead electrical lines, cable lines, phone lines that are heavily strung along roadways like Beechurst or the Mileground. I wish they were able to bury them all when they do the road widening projects.
Yes, and it is not just for esthetic reasons; the biggest reason for this (and I agree with others that the cost is worth it) is to prevent power/cable outages from storms, car collisions, etc.

Old 02-26-2017, 04:48 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I absolutely agree with that. The current administration plans to spend almost $3 billion on infrastructure, an only a small portion of that in our area in spite of the obvious need. You'd think they would at least bury the overhead lines, but that is not in the plans. I'd be in favor of the county stepping in and doing it.
I don't know the specific circumstances in Mon County, but elsewhere, the electric utility owns, installs and maintains the poles. The electric wires are at the top of the poles. The telephone company pays the electric utility for the use of the poles and their wires are the lowest ones. The TV cable company (and sometimes others) has a similar arrangement, with their wires being between the electric and telephone wires. I would assume that the county has no authority to order the utilities to undergo such an expensive project to bury all the cables. They COULD legislate that new installations be underground.

Old 02-26-2017, 10:57 AM

193 posts, read 281,942 times
These road widening project seem like a perfect opportunity to move utilities underground. They typically expand the right of way which often includes new sidewalks and curbs, etc.

Old 02-26-2017, 12:44 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,509,749 times
Some utility companies will also negotiate discounts with cities to bury their lines as they don't have the future cost of tree trimming, repairing lines from ice or windstorms, etc. It's STILL very expensive. Though I am surprised it was not done when they had to replace all of sidewalks anyway to make them ADA compliant.

Last edited by motownnative; 02-26-2017 at 01:03 PM..

Old 02-26-2017, 12:54 PM

286 posts, read 348,841 times
They tore down all the blighted houses by jones place, any idea what they have planned there?

Old 02-26-2017, 01:00 PM

1,854 posts, read 2,228,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wvu2016 View Post
They tore down all the blighted houses by jones place, any idea what they have planned there?
So glad those are gone. Now to tear down the other side of the street. Lol

They are going to build more of those town homes you see above that area.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:09 PM

286 posts, read 348,841 times
Oh nice, those town homes are actually pretty nice

Old 02-26-2017, 08:01 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,422,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wvu2016 View Post
Which ones specifically?

Old 02-26-2017, 08:53 PM

1,854 posts, read 2,228,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
Which ones specifically?
If you are driving up the hill by lsb, go straight through the light. That brick building will be on your left, then the one way street is on your left and on your right is the road that goes down to vandalia. It's the houses on the left right after the one way road. It's like the first 4 or 5 houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown