Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2008, 05:13 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,237,435 times

Advertisements

I received the email below from one of my HS classmates today. So far, I've seen the story picked up by The Winchester Star (http://www.winchesterstar.com/article_details.php?ArticleID=6026 - broken link), Rivals.com, and several other sites.
Quote:
I would like to tell you the story of a very courageous young man and several other young men that made his dream come true.
I am a teacher at James Wood High School, and several years ago I was approached by a student in the hallway who was very
excited because I was wearing a WVU jacket. His name is Kevin Freeland, and Kevin is not an ordinary young man. He has the
courage of a soldier, the compassion of a nurse, the innocence of child at their first Christmas, a love of WVU football like a seasoned Mountaineer, and the faith of a minister. Kevin also has an inoperable brain tumor that threatens his young life. In the past 5 years he has had 29 surgeries. At times he has had to learn how to walk, speak, and eat all over again. Complications from the tumor have also caused Kevin to need a tracheotomy to help him breath.

More than once Kevin's gentle spirit and positive disposition has been the topic of conversation in the teacher's lounge.
Many of us have tried to make Kevin's dream of meeting the WVU football team come true. A colleague of mine, Bruce Fowler,
was able to make that happen. Bruce attends church with the parents of Nate Sowers, and Nate made it possible for Kevin's
dream to come true on April 11, 2008. I was lucky enough to be invited to come along, and the entire experience was one that
I will cherish for all of my life.

Mike Kerin welcomed us to the practice facility around 4:00 in the afternoon. As we walked through the doors of the practice facility,
Kevin had to literally be held in the standing position because his knees were shaking so badly. As we watched the team practice, Kevin, was
awestruck. He was screaming for Pat White, almost passed out when he realized that the person he had just bumped into was in-fact Noel Divine, and sat in awe as he watched his idols play. During this time, Reed Williams came to the sidelines to talk to Kevin, take pictures, and welcome Kevin to the practice.

At the end of the grueling practice, although the exhaustion was evident on the faces of the players, one by one they filed off the field, and
instead of heading to the much anticipated showers and rest of the locker-room, they crowded around Kevin, welcoming him into their fold.
I was afraid that Kevin would literally pass out. The pure innocence and ecstasy of his face is something that I will never forget. The players treated him as if he were a member of the team. Each one let Kevin hug them, signed autographs, laughed with him, and made the day so amazingly special, that it brought tears to many eyes.

Patiently waiting at the back of the pack, was Patrick White. When Kevin met our humble quarterback, he screamed and fell to the Astroturf.
I thought he had passed out, but he was mimicking the motions of a worshiping an idol. Though slightly taken off guard, Pat handled it all in stride. He treated Kevin as if he were an old friend. He patiently chatted with one of Kevin's friends via cell phone, he let Kevin hug him again and again, and spent over half an hour talking with all of us. He made Kevin's dreams come true. The most touching moment of the afternoon was when once again, Kevin got to his knees to do the "We're not worthy", and Pat White returned the gesture and said "No, Kevin, you are my hero".

Bill Stewart also spent several minutes of his precious time with Kevin and his family. When I told him how impressed I was with the team's willingness to make Kevin's day so special he replied, "I am not raising young athletes, I am raising young men". Truly this team is full of men who possess not just great athletic ability, but hearts and moral fiber that commands recognition.

From the depth of my heart, I would like to thank Mike Kerin, Nate Sowers, Reed Williams, Pat White, Bill Stewart, and all of the WVU football
team who made this young man's dream come true. They have no idea how giving of a little of their time made a world of difference to Kevin.
I would also like for all of West Virginia to know what an amazing group of young men we have representing our state, and what a classy gentleman we have leading them.

PS. I have sent this to the Dominion Post, WV Gazette, The Journal, Times WV, I want to get the word out what great men we have playing for us. Please spread the story and the word. I have been told that this letter will also be printed in the upcoming Blue and Gold News.

Sincerely,

Karen M. Kile-Carr
Resident of Martinsburg, WV
Teacher of Mathematics at James Wood High School.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 05:39 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,315,952 times
Just the best....and these kids do this almost everyday because they are family...

Old 04-25-2008, 06:26 PM

31 posts, read 173,798 times
This story is so heartwarming. My mom mailed this to me today. It was good to read such a touching story from home. What a great group of young men being led by a wonderful man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown