Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 07:34 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,784,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Right. We got one in 2002 and reduced our interest rate from 7.85% to 5.2%.

We took all of the interest savings and used it to make extra principle payments.
When our loan re-set in 2007, we had a much lower balance. We were in the process
of selling our house, but if we were going to stay, we would probably have done
yet another 5-year ARM. The much lower rates made sense and still make sense
as long as the borrower doesn't take the lower payments as license to spend.
Exactly! Unfortunately probably the vast majority of people who took out ARMs just looked at the bottom line monthly payments and didn't look at paying down the principal with the savings.

It's just the American way of the way they view finances.

They figure that "extra" money would be considered "dead money tied into a home".

Rather they see the extra money is something to spend either on more investments that can make more return or just blowing the money away on various vacations/cars/paying down other debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 01:23 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
It's just the American way of the way they view finances.
I look at the interest cost per month and only that. That's why I want a 15-year loan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Rather they see the extra money is something to spend either on more investments that can make more return ... paying down other debt.
I'm OK with that providing they really pay down credit card debt and/or
really know how to earn more than 5% on their investments. I do, but most people really don't.
I'm still not into using real estate margin to trade stocks for my personal finances.

In 2002, refinancing was often the "Escalade Refinance."
My neighbor, who eventually defaulted in 2007, did the "Corvette Refinance."
Unfortunately, lots of people believe that mortgagors struggling today are those same
types of people. Those cash-out dudes are long gone since they always financed
"at the edge." The ones left lost jobs, are using savings, and making sacrifices.

My Loan Officer really really tried to push $25-50k in cash-out on me.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:20 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,658,413 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages