Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2012, 07:11 PM

1 posts, read 7,025 times

Advertisements

I have applied for a mortgage to refinance with a national lender (me only, not my spouse). approved online, now just going through the motions. everything is fine... signed everything. sent last 2 years worth of W2's, bank statements, insurance, etc. Appraisal came back showing 35% equity (from their appraiser). Plenty of income to debt ratio. No hiccups.

Just got asked for a complete copy of my taxes from last year. What gives? Why do they want to see that?

Here's why I don't want to provide it. (Maybe it won't matter, since it is my spouse's self employment)... My spouse has a small business that had a bad year last year, and brought our AGI down on our 1040. The business is in no way related to me. I work full-time (same company 10+ years), and have W2's to support.

My questions...

1) why do they want to see my taxes, when the only income I claimed on application is verified through my W2's?

2) will my spouse's self employment kick my application into another realm, or even disqualify me from closing the loan?

3) are there any other options for me to close a loan (maybe a different lender) that would not want to see my taxes?

Thanks for your reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 07:18 PM

819 posts, read 3,209,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matalb View Post
I have applied for a mortgage to refinance with a national lender (me only, not my spouse). approved online, now just going through the motions. everything is fine... signed everything. sent last 2 years worth of W2's, bank statements, insurance, etc. Appraisal came back showing 35% equity (from their appraiser). Plenty of income to debt ratio. No hiccups.

Just got asked for a complete copy of my taxes from last year. What gives? Why do they want to see that?

Here's why I don't want to provide it. (Maybe it won't matter, since it is my spouse's self employment)... My spouse has a small business that had a bad year last year, and brought our AGI down on our 1040. The business is in no way related to me. I work full-time (same company 10+ years), and have W2's to support.

My questions...

1) why do they want to see my taxes, when the only income I claimed on application is verified through my W2's?

2) will my spouse's self employment kick my application into another realm, or even disqualify me from closing the loan?

3) are there any other options for me to close a loan (maybe a different lender) that would not want to see my taxes?

Thanks for your reply.

Depending on the loan amount, that may be why they asked for the tax returns. Did you tell them your spouse had a business? They would be checking for any big losses. But if their name is not on the application, then you should not have to provide the returns.
Do you guys file jointly?

Old 03-06-2012, 07:24 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
I have always had mortgage lenders ask for it. They figure you are less likely to cheat on taxes than on a loan application.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:48 PM

680 posts, read 1,922,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matalb View Post
This is EXACTLY why they want to see your tax returns.........

If you say that your husband business has no bearing on you, then your combined AGI should be just as high or higher than if you were single and you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

I'm willing to bet your husband's business is bringing your AGI down.... and if that's the case, how can you say that is in no way related to you? As a potential lender, I would not feel comfortable lending to you knowing that you are having to bail out your husband.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:59 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
If you had an investment like rental properties that was sucking your income dry, they want to know.

It's not the income but what's left over after expenses.

It's one reason self employed now have trouble getting a loan. They show as little income as possible even with high sales.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:58 AM

835 posts, read 3,979,056 times
The 4506-T is executed on every loan file now. They got the results back and saw the S/E income/ loss and need to verify the figures. What they got back from the IRS didn't match the application. Just doing their due diligence.

As soon as your LO heard your husband was S/E they should have asked for tax returns because of this.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:26 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,514,642 times
Fannie & Freddie don't require that you submit the 4506 on every loan, they just require that you make the borrowers sign it.

Of course the self-employed husband would require an executed 4506 if he were on the loan, but since he's not.. I don't think it was required, unless it was the originating bank's own requirement. (But once the cat is out of the bag, you can't stuff her back in, required or not)

OP: what are your ratios if you used the AGI figure from the return?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages