Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2007, 11:11 AM

781 posts, read 3,815,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
There's probably a clause somewhere that you cannot sue an HOA either, regardless of what wrong they have done (i.e. stealing from you). HOA is a basically a corporation with VERY limited liability, you think something like that is going to behave in a benign manner through all the years it has been enacted? Time will tell...
I guess we will agreed to disagree

One thing though....you can sue an HOA...my husband was on a board where there was a suit bought against the HOA by a homeowner who did not follow the restrictions and was fined. He lost when the court determined that he did not follow the CC&Rs that he agreed to when he bought the home.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:08 PM

241 posts, read 1,335,289 times
I don’t mean to offend, but I find it baffling that people would be willing to give up their personal freedom and then willingly pay for the loss of privilege. Becoming a home owner should be a liberating experience, IMHO, not a time to shackle oneself to an HOA that is likely steered by a pack of gossipy, power-hungry, stay-at-home moms with nothing better to do than haggle over the condition of your mailbox or hedges. One coworker of mine expanded his deck, but failed to get permission from his HOA before construction began. He was fined for it (despite the fact that the new deck met all their specs). Another has the same problem that an earlier poster mentioned—he can’t park his pickup truck (it’s not a work truck) in his driveway. That’s just ridiculous.

What ever happened to the time when neighbors would actually talk to one another face to face to work out their grievances rather than hide behind petty HOA contracts? Gated communities are by far the worst. Every time I have the misfortune of entering one, I expect to be attacked by a gaggle of Stepford Wives.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:16 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,249,485 times
Quote:
Wow... $300 a month for gate maintenance? That's $3600 a year for gate maintenance.... I have a gate to get on my property and it costs $0 a year and it works perfectly fine...
But, does it open and close 200 + times a day?

Old 11-05-2007, 12:18 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,249,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I was thinking about the $4,200 salary for the rent-a-cop! Where do I get an application?
That is to the Security Firm - they pay the guards (not just one) and the cost of workmans comp, FICA etc

Old 11-05-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralGuy View Post
I don’t mean to offend, but I find it baffling that people would be willing to give up their personal freedom and then willingly pay for the loss of privilege. Becoming a home owner should be a liberating experience, IMHO, not a time to shackle oneself to an HOA that is likely steered by a pack of gossipy, power-hungry, stay-at-home moms with nothing better to do than haggle over the condition of your mailbox or hedges. One coworker of mine expanded his deck, but failed to get permission from his HOA before construction began. He was fined for it (despite the fact that the new deck met all their specs). Another has the same problem that an earlier poster mentioned—he can’t park his pickup truck (it’s not a work truck) in his driveway. That’s just ridiculous.

What ever happened to the time when neighbors would actually talk to one another face to face to work out their grievances rather than hide behind petty HOA contracts? Gated communities are by far the worst. Every time I have the misfortune of entering one, I expect to be attacked by a gaggle of Stepford Wives.
Wow....you are totally wrong about what stay-at-home have to do all day. I personally don't have the time to be 1) power hungry or 2) gossip!!! I can't speak for all moms but I can speak for myself!!!

Old 11-05-2007, 12:38 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,846,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
But, does it open and close 200 + times a day?
LOL... Sometimes I wish it did, its lonely sometimes here in my palace.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:51 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
I'd never live anywhere where I had to conform to hanging blinds vs. curtains, or having my neighbors approve of my new door. No thanks. I can think for myself, thank you, and I can also appreciate my neighbor's purple front door or my other neighbor's turquoise siding. Vive la difference!

Quote:
You think everybody wants pink flamingos on their lawn?
Yes! I do! Who wouldn't?

Old 11-05-2007, 01:00 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,846,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'd never live anywhere where I had to conform to hanging blinds vs. curtains, or having my neighbors approve of my new door. No thanks. I can think for myself, thank you, and I can also appreciate my neighbor's purple front door or my other neighbor's turquoise siding. Vive la difference!

Yes! I do! Who wouldn't?

Here you go...

Flamingo with Seasonal Clothing (http://www.thepinkflamingo.com/product374.html - broken link)

Old 11-05-2007, 01:02 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,541,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralGuy View Post
Becoming a home owner should be a liberating experience, IMHO, not a time to shackle oneself to an HOA that is likely steered by a pack of gossipy, power-hungry, stay-at-home moms with nothing better to do than haggle over the condition of your mailbox or hedges.
Sounds like someone has been watching a little too much "Desperate Housewives".

I'm a stay at home Mom, and in between watching soaps and eating bon bon's, I usually spend my day cruising the neighborhood looking for violations to report to the HOA. I would imagine most stay-at-home Mom's do since we have nothing better to do, right? Raising a very active toddler leaves tons of room in my day for nitpicking about people's mailboxes and hedges.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
Sounds like someone has been watching a little too much "Desperate Housewives".
LOL.....I want to be Bree....who do you want to be
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages