Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2008, 07:55 AM

14 posts, read 116,020 times

Advertisements

HI,
I am reviewing my Good Faith Estimate & Federal Truth In Lending Disclosure for a new mortgage loan, and was wondering if anyone could explain this.

My loan amount is $559,900 on the Good Faith Estimate, however, the "Amount Financed" , as shown on the Truth In Lending Disclosure is $556,746.That's a $3,154 difference.

Under "Amount Financed", there is a description that reads:
"The amount of credit provided to you or on your behalf as of loan closing."

So, my question is, if I am borrowing $559,900 and only being credited $556,746, what happens to the other $3,154 that I am borrowing, and why am I not being credited for it? Is this normal, or a hidden fee of some sort?

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 08:11 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,589,971 times
Is this a FHA loan or regular conventional?

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhousehunter View Post
HI,
I am reviewing my Good Faith Estimate & Federal Truth In Lending Disclosure for a new mortgage loan, and was wondering if anyone could explain this.

My loan amount is $559,900 on the Good Faith Estimate, however, the "Amount Financed" , as shown on the Truth In Lending Disclosure is $556,746.That's a $3,154 difference.

Under "Amount Financed", there is a description that reads:
"The amount of credit provided to you or on your behalf as of loan closing."

So, my question is, if I am borrowing $559,900 and only being credited $556,746, what happens to the other $3,154 that I am borrowing, and why am I not being credited for it? Is this normal, or a hidden fee of some sort?

Many thanks!

Old 07-14-2008, 08:50 AM

This is a regular conventional loan.

On the GFE, I see that the prepaid interest due at closing, plus the Bank's Attorney's fee, adds up to $3154.

I'm guessing the bank deducts this payment from the proposed loan amount and makes the new loan amount $556,746?

Old 07-14-2008, 10:32 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,970,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njhousehunter View Post
This is a regular conventional loan.

On the GFE, I see that the prepaid interest due at closing, plus the Bank's Attorney's fee, adds up to $3154.

I'm guessing the bank deducts this payment from the proposed loan amount and makes the new loan amount $556,746?

Yep. On the TIL they will take your loan amount ($559,000) and deduct from it all pre-paid finance charges (marked PFC or APR items on some GFE) to get the amount financed.

PFC are the charges the bank calculates as "costs that come with the loan" and are included in the APR. This typically includes origination fees, points, underwriting, application, other lender fees and the pre-paid interim interest until the end of the month. Sometime's the attorney's fee is included, it should be if the bank is requiring the use of a specific one.

If you look at the next box, the "finance charge", those fees ($3154) are added to the total along with the interest you will pay over the life of the loan and any PMI charges. You add the finance charge to the amount financed to get the total payments if you pay the minimum amount every month.

If you pay more than the minimum monthly payment, the finance charge and payment decrease as the interest you pay over the life of the loan decrease. This will also change your effective APR over the life of the loan, so those figures are only valid for someone sticking to the payment schedule listed on the TIL.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarrillo View Post
Yep. On the TIL they will take your loan amount ($559,000) and deduct from it all pre-paid finance charges (marked PFC or APR items on some GFE) to get the amount financed.

PFC are the charges the bank calculates as "costs that come with the loan" and are included in the APR. This typically includes origination fees, points, underwriting, application, other lender fees and the pre-paid interim interest until the end of the month. Sometime's the attorney's fee is included, it should be if the bank is requiring the use of a specific one.

If you look at the next box, the "finance charge", those fees ($3154) are added to the total along with the interest you will pay over the life of the loan and any PMI charges. You add the finance charge to the amount financed to get the total payments if you pay the minimum amount every month.

If you pay more than the minimum monthly payment, the finance charge and payment decrease as the interest you pay over the life of the loan decrease. This will also change your effective APR over the life of the loan, so those figures are only valid for someone sticking to the payment schedule listed on the TIL.
Great explanation! Thank you so much for your help.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:13 AM

12 posts, read 44,541 times
With the new HERA becoming effective soon, I am concerned that I may not have everything I should marked as a PFC. Is there an expert here that can list all items that should be marked as a PFC?

Old 06-06-2014, 06:00 PM

1 posts, read 4,336 times
The Truth in lending (TIL) ADDENDUM shows the loan amount and then backs out the fees that result in the "Amount Financed".

For the borrower I am looking at currently, here are the items that are deducted:

1. Start with loan amount
2. Deduct: Origination Charge, Points charged, prepaid interest, Tax Service Fee, Flood Cert, Closing Costs / Escrow, Escrow / Loan tie in fee and Courier / 3rd Party fees.
3. The result is the AMOUNT FINANCED
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages