Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 06:52 AM

2 posts, read 33,979 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are about to buy a house and our mortgage company informed us that we have qualified for a PIW. We already sent the appraisal check but can get that credited back immediately. It sounds kind of fishy but I wanted to check before I did anything. My mortgage lender stated I could fight to lower my taxes in May when it is available (the house is on the books for $119,000 from last year but we are buying it for $108,900). He stated I could go to the tax office and show them what I payed for the house in hopes that they would lower my taxes. Does this also lower my insurance with my insurance company? Are PIW's common? Should I just get an appraisal? Sorry for so many questions and thanks to everyone in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 08:03 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Get an appraisal if you want one, it's your money.

The mortgage company and Fannie Mae are willing to do this loan without an appraisal, that is what the PIW means. It's not fishy.

You wouldn't be able to use your appraisal to go to the tax office anyway, it would be too old. You can just use your sales price.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:11 AM

2 posts, read 33,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Get an appraisal if you want one, it's your money.

The mortgage company and Fannie Mae are willing to do this loan without an appraisal, that is what the PIW means. It's not fishy.

You wouldn't be able to use your appraisal to go to the tax office anyway, it would be too old. You can just use your sales price.
So it sounds like it honestly doesn't matter. If I want to save the money I can just sign the PIW and be done with it. Thanks for the reply.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:35 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,583,894 times
Your HOI (homeowner's insurance) MAY require an appraisal.

You would need to speak to the county to see how they determine how taxes are paid. Imagine selling a million dollar home to a relative for 100k...just so they wont have to pay the taxes...

PIW are not common unless the home is purchased at a really low price AND the area is not in a declining zone/area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR View Post
My wife and I are about to buy a house and our mortgage company informed us that we have qualified for a PIW. We already sent the appraisal check but can get that credited back immediately. It sounds kind of fishy but I wanted to check before I did anything. My mortgage lender stated I could fight to lower my taxes in May when it is available (the house is on the books for $119,000 from last year but we are buying it for $108,900). He stated I could go to the tax office and show them what I payed for the house in hopes that they would lower my taxes. Does this also lower my insurance with my insurance company? Are PIW's common? Should I just get an appraisal? Sorry for so many questions and thanks to everyone in advance.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:14 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
Professionals, this question is directed to you.
Why on earth would anyone even consider purchasing a home without a professional inspection? -- unless, of course, they didn't care about the condition of everything from the soil to the chimney top, or about how much it could cost them to correct problems in the future. Please teach me

Old 10-09-2008, 02:16 PM

It's not really an inspection....

It's an appraisal waiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Professionals, this question is directed to you.
Why on earth would anyone even consider purchasing a home without an inspection? -- unless, of course, they didn't care about the condition of everything from the soil to the chimney top, or about how much it could cost them to correct problems in the future. Please teach me

Old 10-09-2008, 02:20 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
Okay, renriq. Thank you. An appraisal is an amorphous thing, unlike an inspection. Confusing terminology, eh? Thanks.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:22 PM

It is lol

It got me confused when I first about it

Old 12-10-2012, 10:59 AM

2 posts, read 11,769 times
An appraisal and a property inspection are two different things.
An appraisal is a limited inspection to determine the value. An
inspection is done on the sales side usually in the first ten
days of the transaction to determine the true condition of the
property.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 9,061 times
As far as using your purchase price to lower your tax assessment value, from my own experience, the city/county doesn't care. I had the inspector come out because my assessed value was 126,000, but I purchased the home for 99,000, which the appraisal also reflected a value of 99,000. The outcome....They RAISED my assessed value up 135,000!! They claimed that there had been improvements made by the previous owner that were never reported.

Just wanted to warn you about what could happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages