Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 02:47 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,783,818 times

Advertisements

"Obama wants to reduce the rate by which wealthier people can cut their taxes through deductions for mortgage interest, charitable contributions, local taxes and other expenses to 28 cents on the dollar, rather than the 35 cents they can claim now. Even more money would be raised if the top rate reverts to 39.6 percent, as Obama wants."

Obama sending Congress 'hard choices' budget - White House- msnbc.com

I don't think President Obama is really trying to fix the housing crisis at all. What's the purpose of buying a home when he's cherry picking who gets to take the full mortgage interest deduction who's going to lose a significant portion of their mortgage interest deduction.

So I have 30K in mortgage interest. He's want to raise the top end of my income to almost 40% and will only let me deduct 28 cents on the dollar. That's like a "double tax" hit.

But someone in the 28% tax bracket will get to deduct the full 28 cents on the dollar of their mortgage interest.

How's this going to solve the housing crisis? The wealthier people lose incentive to buy more homes.

Why doesn't Obama just get rid of the mortgage interest deduction all together than? That would be the best way to raise the most revenue and make people "pay their fair share".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 03:38 PM

87 posts, read 396,205 times
You want to guess how many foreclosures you will see if people cant deduct their mortgage interest?

Old 02-26-2009, 04:09 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,783,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fant View Post
You want to guess how many foreclosures you will see if people cant deduct their mortgage interest?
We just need to bulldoze all those foreclosures. That's how you clear inventory. It's all about supply and demand. If you get rid of the excess supply by bulldozing it, than you increase demand.

People who cannot afford their mortgages can got back to renting.

Why is Obama trying to squeeze tax dollars at the worst possible time?

Even if Obama were to tax 100% of all incomes above 200K, this would not even cover the budget spending he's proposing. In order to cover his trillion dollar spending, he would need to tax 100% of of all incomes over 75K.

I'm not necessarily opposed to the tax hike. But I am opposed to reducing the mortgage interest deduction. There is all kinds of relief for people who took on mortgages they couldn't afford or they weren't paying -- the folks who actually pay their mortgages should not be penalized. Also, when they made their calculation about what they could afford, they took the mortgage interest deduction into account. This should only apply to new mortgages.

Last edited by aneftp; 02-26-2009 at 04:18 PM..

Old 02-26-2009, 06:10 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
Crazy tax change if you are trying to save/revive housing and the economy. I am depressed every time I look at the news.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:15 PM

I agree ... those who took a mortgage took that mortgage interest deduction into account. In fact it was a big incentive from the govt to buy a house. I think its very unfair to take it away from people with existing mortgages.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:22 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,215,075 times
...and don't try to get help from a charity if you find yourself homeless. This will deeply effect them too.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:45 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
There is a consequence in "taxing the rich"

About 20 years ago, a luxury tax was instituted. Supporters said rich people don't worry about taxes when buying luxuries and it was a " win,win" situation.

I sure didn't "win" when 300 of us got laid off at a local boat building plant cuz orders for cabin cruisers dried up.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:18 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,393,076 times
Obama's entire agenda is wealth redistribution. He ran on this platform, and he's going to find every way he can to do it-- selectively raise taxes, close loopholes, disallow deductions. He made this promise and he's determined to keep it, seemingly more than any other. But he's not just taxing the rich; he's gut-punching the middle and upper middle classes. This will crush people in high cost states, where a $200K household income barely buys a starter house with a $5000 mortgage and a $10000 property tax bill. These people already pay a lot of taxes, and they need every penny to keep making those payments.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:58 PM

goodbyehollywood: agreed ... they need to have different limits by state ... their definitions only work if you live in an "average" state

Old 02-28-2009, 05:39 AM

426 posts, read 1,455,848 times
Are you really saying that the people in trouble with paying their mortgages are the ones who would be affected by this tax change? And by letting the Bush tax cuts expire? That's absurd. And you really think that the housing crisis will be exacerbated by reducing the mortgage interest deduction? Those who are having problems paying aren't paying mortgage interest because they're not paying their mortgages!

All I ever hear from conservatives is "mine! mine! mine!" and no real ideas about how to fix the problem. Tax cuts *don't work* to stimulate the economy. Trickle down economics was an abysmal failure for all but the extremely wealthy. I can't believe that after the complete and utter failure of conservative economic policy you're still saying that you know the way. Nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages