Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 09:42 AM

44 posts, read 236,070 times

Advertisements

I'm a mortgage broker and here are how my fees are calculated and what they go for.

Origination Fee - Usually 1% This is the amount that is shared by myself and the owners of the company. I get a % of it. I can raise it or lower it based on the situation.

Yield Spread - Anywhere from 0% to 1%. This is an amount that the lender pays me to sell you a higher interest rate. If you are only keeping your loan for a short time it might make sense to have a higher interest rate and lower fees. If you will be in your home over 5 years then it makes sense to have higher fees and maybe even buy the rate down with points.

Processing Fee - $445 - This amount goes to my processor so that she gets paid. She's the one who deals with the lender, Title company, employer, landlord.....

Appraisal Fee - $400-$550 This goes to a 3rd party who does the appraisal.

Credit Fee - $17 - $25. In Oregon, it can no longer include any junk fees.

If you believe that your broker is doing a good job, and just want his fees adjusted, ask him. It can never hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 10:37 AM

16 posts, read 56,099 times
My advise....shop around and get a detailed GFE.

Old 04-30-2007, 03:32 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,095,135 times
I would get 2 - 3 quotes, and compare. Let the lender know if his fees are higher than the others, and ask for them to be lowered.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:36 PM

710 posts, read 3,392,377 times
Hey gang:

I know I'm reviving an old thread, but I have a similar question. What do you think of the following 30 year fixed GFE?

Loan origination fee - 1%
Appraisal - $425
Credit - $38
Processing Fee - $475
Commitment fee - $485
Application fee - $75
Doc Prep - $200

There's a YSP to the broker as well but I don't know what is exactly as a $ figure... just working of the GFE now. It can be between .125 and 3.5 according to the line item.

I have FICOS of +800 BTW. Feedback?

Edited to add

In AZ. Rate quoted is 6.00 APR with 5% down on a VA loan. I didn't put this in the original question because rates have been at 5.5 to 6.x in the last 2 weeks... I had a GFE with same #'s but a 5.5 30 year fixed when that was the prevailing rate in Feb...

Last edited by ji603; 03-06-2008 at 06:13 PM..

Old 03-06-2008, 06:02 PM

13 posts, read 118,719 times
I'm confused why everyone is focused on how much fees are added to the loan. Shouldn't it all comes down to the true APR you get? A broker with fee might quote you a lower rate than the one who doesn't. At least that's what I got from 3 lenders. when you convert your rate into APR with closing cost considered, it all come very close to each other. Assuming that I'm putting down the same amount of cash for closing, whether for points or broker fees, the 3 GFEs I got almost have the same rate.
It's simply a decision on whether you want to spend more cash upfront to lower your interest loss or you want to keep the cash for other purposes.

BUT, please correct me if I'm wrong since this is my just first mortgage shopping.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:06 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,589,971 times
what is the rate? is it 30yr fixed? what is the loan amount? how much are you putting down? what state are you in?

some lenders may call another lender's fees as 'junk fees', but what if that lender (who is charging junk fees) has a lower rate, and lower fees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ji603 View Post
Hey gang:

I know I'm reviving an old thread, but I have a similar question. What do you think of the following 30 year fixed GFE?

Loan origination fee - 1%
Appraisal - $425
Credit - $38
Processing Fee - $475
Commitment fee - $485
Application fee - $75
Doc Prep - $200

There's a YSP to the broker as well but I don't know what is exactly as a $ figure... just working of the GFE now. It can be between .125 and 3.5 according to the line item.

I have FICOS of +800 BTW. Feedback?

Old 03-06-2008, 06:15 PM

some lenders calculate APR differently. this is why you may have the same rate/same fees, but a different APR. I know the government has a standard for APR, but there are some lenders that dont follow it to the 't'.

This is why you must compare by the fees, and note rate.

800 lines will show all the lender fees.

What if Lender A's good faith estimate reads like this. 5.5%
300 appraisal
500 origination fee.

2000 attorney fee
1000 title insurance fee
total 3800

Lender B 5.5%
2000 origination fee
300 appraisal fee

500 attorney fee
1000 title insurance
total 3800

You would think that Lender A is the best....but in reality they may not be.
A lot of lenders use to do this, and some still do.
You would pick Lender A then at closing you will see the sheet as....
2000 origination fee
300 appraisal fee
500 attorney
1000 title ins
You're still paying 3800....but the fees were in the wrong place.

Another thing......rate is 5.5% and the paying is 500 per month.
You go to closing....and see that your rate is 5.75%, and you ask your lender about it. They say that they 'misquoted' the rate...but the payment is still the same at 500 per month.
Yes there are bad ppl!

This is why I tell my borrowers to CALL the attorney/title company DIRECTLY, and to ask them their fees. Once the borrower has the fees....then I tell the borrower to tell every lender to put those same exact fees.
Now all the borrower needs to focus on is the note rate...and the lender fees. (I would still check the attorney fees)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ageha View Post
I'm confused why everyone is focused on how much fees are added to the loan. Shouldn't it all comes down to the true APR you get? A broker with fee might quote you a lower rate than the one who doesn't. At least that's what I got from 3 lenders. when you convert your rate into APR with closing cost considered, it all come very close to each other. Assuming that I'm putting down the same amount of cash for closing, whether for points or broker fees, the 3 GFEs I got almost have the same rate.
It's simply a decision on whether you want to spend more cash upfront to lower your interest loss or you want to keep the cash for other purposes.

BUT, please correct me if I'm wrong since this is my just first mortgage shopping.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:09 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,970,465 times
renriq02- funny, I try to tell my clients the same things. I have seen GFE that have outrageously misquoted attorney, insurance or other 3rd party fees to make the bottom line look better. In the end, the lender has 0 control of what a buyer will have to pay for insurance, taxes or other 3rd party fees.

Same game is played with fees vs rate. A 1% origination fee on a loan where the lender is giving you a great interest rate (par or low YSP) may not be as bad as a 0% origination fee with a much higher rate (3-4% commission paid).

It depends on the sum of all the factors and a particular clients needs. Credit, assets and income will determine rate and terms. But so are the financial goals and intentions of a buyer. The longer someone wants to be in a home the better it is to pay costs and get a lower rate and vice versa.

Its very upsetting to see Realtors and other professionals call the fees "excessive" without knowing all the factors. Please check your facts... I know many Realtors that charge 3% to list a home and I consider it "excessive" because all they do is list it on MLS and sit back. Then there are others that work hard for their clients and are worth 2-3x what they make in the value they provide.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:42 PM

3 posts, read 8,759 times
If the 350.00 is for the appraisal and the credit check the lender is not getting those fees so they would be called third party fees. So really the lender is only making 1% origination and $550.00 commitment fee and this fee is usually $300.00. You need to look at the good faith estimate and see what the yield spread is if it is not on the Good Faith call and ask. Sometimes instead of a higher rate the lender will go with a lower rate and be a little higher on the closing cost. And if you are using a real estate agent remember they get 6% of what you purchased the house for.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:34 PM

Yield Spread Premium is only shown by brokers. Banks are not required to show this so you won't be able to find out through them.

I would never assume it's 6% on realtor's commission, and would advise to always ask the realtor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMELA2448 View Post
If the 350.00 is for the appraisal and the credit check the lender is not getting those fees so they would be called third party fees. So really the lender is only making 1% origination and $550.00 commitment fee and this fee is usually $300.00. You need to look at the good faith estimate and see what the yield spread is if it is not on the Good Faith call and ask. Sometimes instead of a higher rate the lender will go with a lower rate and be a little higher on the closing cost. And if you are using a real estate agent remember they get 6% of what you purchased the house for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages