Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 10:43 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times

Advertisements

Honda helix, and they are automatic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 11:08 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
It's hard to find a scooter that isn't automatic. I wish there were more with manual shift.

Old 04-30-2011, 02:36 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
60 mile commute?you'll need something that keeps up with traffic and if interstates are involved you will have to get something that can cruise comfortably at speeds between 70-80mph or you'll ultimately get run down on any kind of bike who's top speed is only 50mph or less,
The Suzuki Burgman type scooters would be a good choice as their 400 or 650cc engines can easily keep up with traffic..If you dont like Suzuki all manufacturers have something similar

Heres a 400cc version

Old 04-30-2011, 11:34 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
The Burgmans are a good choice, as is the Honda SilverWing. The 650cc Burgman and Silverwing will do over 100 mph!

Old 05-01-2011, 04:45 PM

896 posts, read 1,852,553 times
This is all great advice. To elaborate, no I won't be riding it to work. I figured it would be uncomfortable, and too slow for my commute. I am trying to find a job in my area though so maybe a scooter will be feasible for my work commute in the not too distant future. I drive ALOT though, in general. Even in my spare time I like to make spontaneous trips to grab something to eat or coffee or a smoothie or something ya know. And I also tend go to grocery stores quite often to buy just enough food for us to make a meal with. We rarely stock up because we never know if well be home to eat. Not to mention I leisure drive like no ones business. So my point there is that i spend tons of time in my car or walking to places in my immediate area of the city, a lot, and I think even a weaker scooter would suffice for my numerous under-2 mile trips I make.

And as superficial as it may sound I'm kinda set on the style. I don't like sporty looking bikes or scooters. So I dont know that anything I'm into exists much larger than 125cc.

I appreciate all the insight and I will definitely take the courses before I even start shopping.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:52 PM

627 posts, read 1,295,341 times
There is another company called SYM that makes quality scooters. They are on par with Kymco and Piaggio.

.: Welcome to SYM USA :. Home

They recently took over the building of Lance Scooters, using the SYM components.

Lance Powersports | Setting new standards

YouTube - gc092975's Channel

I am really considering this one. Not expensive, great mileage and great quality. 125cc with the Euro style you like.

Lance used to have quality control issues, which is what the typical Chinese scooter companies all suffer from. But since they are now a SYM company, those issues are eliminated.

What most people don't realize is that the more mainstream companies like Yamaha and Piaggio have these companies build their engines and parts.

They can afford to have someone on the inside who makes sure quality is controlled.

Edit:

And BTW, the MSF Training includes Scooters now.

Last edited by Sensei Han; 05-02-2011 at 08:04 PM.. Reason: add text..

Old 05-05-2011, 07:08 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
Default What kind of scooter would be good?

two years ago i came across an ad for electric powered Scooters that were selling for $239 imported from japan with a special where they deliver it right to your door no tax, no delivery charge, just the flat $239.

I don't remember where i found the ad but it had a top speed of 30 mph and had a few things like lights, drink holder, leather seat etc. i think it gave you 10 miles before you plugged it into the wall to charge it again

my job is 3.8 miles from where i live so it would be just under 8 miles round trip per day

then i noticed the maximum weight of the operator could be no more than 150 lbs so that counted me out

i called the company to inquire and it was a legit operation. when i discussed the weight thing with them they told me it wasn't really for adults

i wanted to get one but haven't since looked again.

what would be something cheap and electric powered and would support my weight (248)? I don't know anything other than i heard of Vespas

i live right on the city line so my area is a little over run but isn't that crowded traffic wise

any ideas?

2 years when i was biking i saw a bunch of people on scooters that sounded like they were electric powered. I got interested

Old 05-05-2011, 07:10 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,226,019 times
Bro...Get a Harley and keep your Man card.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:39 PM

896 posts, read 1,852,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASpaceman View Post

I look at it this way.... Ill look even manlier in comparison to my vehicle of choice.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:43 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASpaceman View Post
And find a good mechanic. You don't know it yet, but you're going to make him rich enough to buy a Burgman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles