Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2012, 12:25 PM

6 posts, read 5,785 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to the states shortly for a 2year period. I own a motorcycle here in the UK but am looking for as much info/advice on whether its worth taking my motorcycle to the States or not?? Also if any one knows anything on importing it back to the UK after my time in the States is over??....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 02:07 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,175,341 times
The laws and fees will likely vary state-to-state, so I don't know if there's a blanket answer for you. The used motorcycle market is pretty healthy here, though, so unless you have a particular sentimental attachment to yours or think selling it would be a burden or huge financial loss, your best bet would be to pick one up here and sell it when it comes time to leave.

I'll go out on a limb and say that, unlike automobiles, most bikes sold in the UK are also available here, so finding something you fancy shouldn't be an issue, either.

Mike

Old 06-27-2012, 08:00 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
you don't mention what you bike is now, but unless it's so unique and special that you couldn't reasonably replicate it's utility here in the USA ...

you'd do better to just buy a bike here and sell it when you're heading homeward.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:24 AM

6 posts, read 5,785 times
It's Texas im heading to. I heard getting fiance is a problem as you need to build a credit rating hence wondering if its worth taking or not?

Old 06-28-2012, 08:03 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,175,341 times
Credit ratings aren't international? I'm asking; I don't know.

Not sure what kind of bike you're looking for or what you're looking to spend, but a budget of $5K (US) will get you a lot of bike in great condition if you buy used. For $10K, you can get just about anything you want (again, used).

Here's the website for TX's DMV. They may have answers to your questions re: fees for importing the bike should you go that route. Texas Department of Motor Vehicles

Mike

Old 06-28-2012, 08:05 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
If you've had a bank account, credit card, utility bills in your name, etc, then you've be building a credit rating.

If you're only going to be in the US for 2 years though, don't finance. But something used, with cash, and then sell it used, for cash. The "go-to" local classifieds for most people is Craigslist (Craigslist > Cities) as it's free to post there. Just be aware that since it's free and unregulated, there's a lot of scams going on. From a buyers point, make sure you're buying something with a title where the VINs match and doesn't have a Lien on it. It's pretty safe from a buyers point since you would show up and inspect it before handing cash over. Oh, sellers will want cash (but if you're spending enough, just go to Their bank branch and have the staff do a EFT/EBT for you). The sellers are going to be wary of people who aren't local, so if you start shopping/contacting before arriving you'll either want to hide that (use a .com email from yahoo/gmail/whatever, anything non .uk), or explain that you're moving/moved from the UK and will be, or are, local. If you're handy with a spanner, you can find some REALLY good deal this way ~ most bikes only need a carb clean, basic service (valves, oil, filters) and consumables (tires, sorry, tyres, chain, sprockets, brake pads).

Alternativly, you could look through Motorcycles - Scooters, Dirt Bikes, Choppers, Sport Bikes, and Other Motorcycles for Sale - Cycle Trader.com, ebay is the same as what you have (and a ghost town, they sorta killed themselves a few years back), and then motorcycle forums. The 2 big ones with members Everywhere and all sorts of bikes listed are ADVrider - Powered by vBulletin and Sport-Touring.Net - Sport-Touring.Net though there's bound to be a forum for any bike you happen to want with members near-by. I'm a fan of ADV because of the quality of people that are members.

As for bringing yours over, I know a few groups of riders (through ADV) who have done it for a couple months but I'm unsure of the issues you might encounter for longer time frames. I think I remember them saying it was 350~400 pounds for shipping, but again I don't remember if that was round trip or one way. They did say the bikes were on the boat for about a month (going to somewhere in California), and I have no idea how long it took to get them back from Baltimore, MD. But it can be done, you'll just need to find someone with more specific knowledge who can point you in the right direction. I helped one guy on a BMW GS who blew his final drive, I believe he was a mod on ukgser.com (if not, at least an active member as he had no issue getting a mate to post him a new final drive), it might be a place you can go and ask for advice.

Good luck, and sorry about it being Texas.. heh

Old 06-28-2012, 09:08 PM

385 posts, read 615,344 times
I'm also going to suggest looking at ADVRider - my husband is a member there and he loves it. I'm just learning to ride so I mainly lurk on the moto forums. I figure I can learn more if I spend more time reading and riding, and less time posting.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:14 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kop View Post
It's Texas im heading to. I heard getting fiance is a problem as you need to build a credit rating hence wondering if its worth taking or not?
Unless you're very attached to this specific bike, I wouldn't bother. The models sold are subtly different across US/UK markets, and unless you're very, very sure that the bike you own has the right paperwork pedigree to make it street legal in the US, you run a risk of seeing it caught in unregistered limbo while a bunch of uninterested officials move paperwork around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
If you're only going to be in the US for 2 years though, don't finance. But something used, with cash, and then sell it used, for cash.
This would be my advice as well.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:58 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
I wouldnt go through the hassle of shipping the bike back and forth just for 2 years,i'd buy something used and sell it before you return
Heres Craigslist for Dallas,you can change the city if Dallas isnt where you are going
dallas / fort worth motorcycles/scooters - by owner classifieds - craigslist

As you can see the used bike market is huge.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:13 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
If you're only coming for two years don't bother bringing it, store her for the duration.

The motorcycle market in the US is cheap vs the UK. I know of several guys who saved up a few grand for whatever they wanted and bought a bike in the US then just sold it when they went home to Ireland.

Youre near Denver so if you arrive in the winter that is the best place to buy a bike at that time because so many people sell their bikes because they didnt realise you get cold out there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles