Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 05:05 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,415,863 times

Advertisements

Good grief, PDD you're so full of overly-biased opinion that it's making me want to find my waders.

Not everyone wants a HD.. I'm on that 20 year mark and while I've got 12~15k miles on a few borrowed HDs, I wouldn't pay the price to have something that doesn't do anything better. The riding experience is no better on a $15,000 FX than on a $8000 clone. When it comes to money, the only people who lose money (and all of them do) are those who buy brand new then sell later. There is actually More of a $$$ hit with the HD's simply because they're twice the price and the same percentage of depreciation means more money.

As for the "organ donor" part... I always laugh at that. My wife has some spare parts from a motorcyclist.... a mid-40's lawyer who crashed without a helmet. You wanna put odds on the brand bike he was riding after buying into a lifestyle?

Harley Davidson is a Great advertising company. They make good (not great, not terrible) motorcycles ~ just like Any other brand that most people would be able to name. I do work on a LOT more HD's than any other bike here in Georgia, but that's just simply due to saturation. When I was out in Colorado, I worked on Vastly more dual-sport bikes than anything else ~ it's what was popular in that region.

For a first bike for the OP, pick something between 20hp (minimum needed to break all the speeding laws in this country badly enough that you could go straight to jail) and 50hp. More won't help and will hinder your learning. Buy used, you won't make a profit on the first used bike you buy (nor should you try), but I'm averaging $1300 profit on bikes I buy, refurbish and sell. Make sure you buy as close to a "needs nothing" bike as possible, I've seen it time and time again where a new rider tries to save money by getting into a "project" bike, only to have their passion get snuffed out due to frustration. Or they end up spending twice as much just to buy a Second bike that does run. As for style, buy whatever you want from one of the dozen major names/companies, it really doesn't matter. I find cruisers horribly uncomfortable (they force me to put all my weight on my tailbone, plus I've yet to find one that I didn't feel was cramped for my 6'4" frame) but they're a popular choice. While I personally love sportbikes, they are the Worst choice for a new rider (and no, the Ninja 250/300/500 or CBR250 are *NOT* sportbikes, they are Standard bikes with a sporty look) ~ high center of gravity that makes them tippy, very narrow turning radius, lots of very costly bodywork (and insurance premiums to match). I do like standards... naked, upright seating position, very functional. But my #1 recommendation are always dual-sport motorcycles. Those that are on-road/off-road capable with lights and street legal. They also have a very neutral seating position, wide bars for easy steering, very city-friendly power delivery, take a drop like no other. The problem is that they tend to need a rider with longer legs, so if you're inseam challenged, a naked standard ought to be right up your alley.

Just keep in mind, it's a First bike. It doesn't need to be beautiful, exactly what you always dreamed of, or anything but the one you use to learn how to survive the crazy drivers, slick gas station lots and loose dogs. Get 10k miles on that bike (a good summers worth of riding) and you'll be past most of the newbie mistakes that tend to see the bike taking a nap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 05:18 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,041,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Almost everybody I know who rides eventually gets a Harley. The may ride Japanese bikes for 20 years but eventually they all want a Harley.

If you buy a Harley and don't like it you will usually get your money back. The same cannot be said for the Japanese bikes.

What you don't want to buy as your first bike is one of those "crotch rocket/organ donor" bikes.
That might be, but I'm in my 35th year of riding - haven't owned a Harley, have no desire to do so, and am pretty sure I never will. It's not that I hate Harleys, it's just that I'm very happy with what I'm riding.

Regarding depreciation, all motorcycles do it, and they all depreciate at about the same rate - that's regardless of make, style and size.

I do basically agree with you about the crotch rocket thing. There's a reason the insurance is sky-high on those bikes. They are designed and built for racing, and even an old fart like me would have a hard time not being a throttle-head on one of them. Unfortunately, they're cheaper than a lot of bikes, so a lot of novice riders end up on the - with predictable results.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:22 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,041,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Just keep in mind, it's a First bike. It doesn't need to be beautiful, exactly what you always dreamed of, or anything but the one you use to learn how to survive the crazy drivers, slick gas station lots and loose dogs. Get 10k miles on that bike (a good summers worth of riding) and you'll be past most of the newbie mistakes that tend to see the bike taking a nap.
Yep! In a sense, the OP is just like a 16-year old boy who just got his license. Daddy should not buy him a new Corvette. Get him something to learn in, and maybe he can buy his own Vette later.

A new rider should buy a smaller, older, cheap bike that has already depreciated out. No matter what happens - whether he wrecks it, or becomes disinterested, or sells it in favor of a bigger bike - he's not out much.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:10 PM

550 posts, read 1,282,389 times
OP: Get whatever make you want and don't be concerned with other people's opinions.

Most people recommend a 250 for a first bike. I started out riding a year ago. I got a 750 Vulcan and I'm still happy with it in terms of power and performance. I don't think a 750 would be too much for a beginner as long as you take it slow and safe until you build some confidence and experience. If you decide to get a 250, there's nothing wrong with that. For a first bike, I would advise you to stay away from the large V twins or any bike that is 1000cc or larger.

And regarding Harley, I kinda have mixed feelings.

I've heard that quality has improved a lot since they were owned by AMF. But most of their engines are older designs that shake like crazy. It's easy to find aftermarket parts and accessories but be prepared to pay top dollar for it.

I'm just not a fan of most of their designs. A lot of their bikes have huge fenders which I've never been a fan of. Google "Heritage Softail Classic" if you want to know what I'm talking about. Personally I don't want a bike that looks like it was built in the 1940s. Many of their bikes look very "grandpa-ish".

And instead of reworking their bikes and coming up with a new and better design they just change some cosmetics and call it a new bike. Look at the 48 and 72. Both are Sportster 1200s. Each has a different paintjob, graphics, bars, and with the 48 a fat tire. But it's still a Sportster. It's nothing new, just the same old thing in a new package.

I guess if you want early 20th century technology at 21st century prices, you should get a Harley.

Having said all that I think I dislike Harley riders more than Harley motorcycles. Some Harley riders are fanboys and just hate on everything else regardless. Not all Harley riders are that way. But the ones who are make them all look bad. If you do get a Harley please don't be a douchbag about it.

Oh, and if you're interested in Harley then you should check out Victory. They are an American motorcycle company owned by Polaris.

Victory vs. Harley - Segment 1 - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=246wHL3kt8A

Old 05-25-2013, 06:48 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,383,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Good grief, PDD you're so full of overly-biased opinion that it's making me want to find my waders.

Not everyone wants a HD.. I'm on that 20 year mark and while I've got 12~15k miles on a few borrowed HDs, I wouldn't pay the price to have something that doesn't do anything better. The riding experience is no better on a $15,000 FX than on a $8000 clone. When it comes to money, the only people who lose money (and all of them do) are those who buy brand new then sell later. There is actually More of a $$$ hit with the HD's simply because they're twice the price and the same percentage of depreciation means more money.

As for the "organ donor" part... I always laugh at that. My wife has some spare parts from a motorcyclist.... a mid-40's lawyer who crashed without a helmet. You wanna put odds on the brand bike he was riding after buying into a lifestyle?

Harley Davidson is a Great advertising company. They make good (not great, not terrible) motorcycles ~ just like Any other brand that most people would be able to name. I do work on a LOT more HD's than any other bike here in Georgia, but that's just simply due to saturation. When I was out in Colorado, I worked on Vastly more dual-sport bikes than anything else ~ it's what was popular in that region.

For a first bike for the OP, pick something between 20hp (minimum needed to break all the speeding laws in this country badly enough that you could go straight to jail) and 50hp. More won't help and will hinder your learning. Buy used, you won't make a profit on the first used bike you buy (nor should you try), but I'm averaging $1300 profit on bikes I buy, refurbish and sell. Make sure you buy as close to a "needs nothing" bike as possible, I've seen it time and time again where a new rider tries to save money by getting into a "project" bike, only to have their passion get snuffed out due to frustration. Or they end up spending twice as much just to buy a Second bike that does run. As for style, buy whatever you want from one of the dozen major names/companies, it really doesn't matter. I find cruisers horribly uncomfortable (they force me to put all my weight on my tailbone, plus I've yet to find one that I didn't feel was cramped for my 6'4" frame) but they're a popular choice. While I personally love sportbikes, they are the Worst choice for a new rider (and no, the Ninja 250/300/500 or CBR250 are *NOT* sportbikes, they are Standard bikes with a sporty look) ~ high center of gravity that makes them tippy, very narrow turning radius, lots of very costly bodywork (and insurance premiums to match). I do like standards... naked, upright seating position, very functional. But my #1 recommendation are always dual-sport motorcycles. Those that are on-road/off-road capable with lights and street legal. They also have a very neutral seating position, wide bars for easy steering, very city-friendly power delivery, take a drop like no other. The problem is that they tend to need a rider with longer legs, so if you're inseam challenged, a naked standard ought to be right up your alley.

Sorry for giving my short winded opinion. Just posting on my observations. I try not to bore other posters with multiple paragraphs of BS.
I guess the more words you use the more important you believe you are.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:10 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,658,967 times
IVe had more bikes than I could count, riding since 1974.
Ive raced and gone through many phases. Like Syble
I had 2 HDs. A Sportster and a FXST. I wouldnt recommend a Sportster because it just doesnt do anything well, relatively speaking. The bigger FX, on the otherhand, was the best bike Ive ever owned, and by virtue of having a belt, the most maintenance free. Rode it for two years and sold it for what I paid for it. A Honda or Yamaha might be just as comfortable to ride, handle as well, etc, but if you are into the 'organic' feel of a motorcycle, they will never match a Harley. More metal, the crank is pinned differently so they have a cooler throb, just little stuff like that. The other bikes look cool, but they just ont have the same feel. Obviously, lots of people disagree, but this is my opinion having owned them. I wouldnt buy one now, because I dot like the direction they've taken, but people who say they are unreliable are wrong.
Do yourself a favor and do what thers have mentioned. Get a used DR200 or TL250 or something like that. An upright small bore bike that wont hurt to drop it, which you WILL do. Ride the wheels off of it. Learn turning, braking etc . . . Then move up. This is what will keep your riding career long and healthy. People that do sportbikes first, miss a huge part of the learning curve. Im sure anyone who has ridden with sportbike kids will agree, none of them can ride as well as people who have gone through the steps the correct way. Starting small and moving up is the way to go.
If you are comfortable with jut riding, dont discount scooter either. I scoot now with a 400 Burgmann and a little 50cc two stroke buzz bomb and will never go back to motorcycles. Not for everybody, but given a chance, a lot of people cant believe what they've been missing out on! Give em a try.
When you do start to ride, remember, NEVER TRUST ANY CAR. Ride like you have a a target on your back. An intense distrust of anything four-wheeled will save your skin.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:41 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,152,111 times
Buy some quality clothing/helmet first then save for your bike. Else you may well blow your budget on a nice bike and regret that you could only afford crap after the fact.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:16 AM

22,327 posts, read 29,417,031 times
I agree with Baldrick. Make sure you invest in quality clothing and a helmet.

I wouldn't purchase a ninja 250. It's a POS plus its super slow. Not saying you're trying to go 200mph but you want to be able to get out of the way if needed.

I do agree going with a used bike. Go test drive everything and get whatever you like and feel comfortable on. That's the key.

Ride safe!!

Old 05-25-2013, 12:24 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,415,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I wouldn't purchase a ninja 250. It's a POS plus its super slow. Not saying you're trying to go 200mph but you want to be able to get out of the way if needed.
Love it when people who clearly have never ridden/owned one say it's not capable.

I've owned a Ninja 250 continuously since 2003 (3 different bikes), have lived from 900' in elevation to 6500' in elevation (and ridden one to 14k ~ Mt Evans in CO). Couple that with the fact that I'm 6'4" and ranged from 240~280lbs through my ownership.... one thing I can say for sure, the bike can "get out of its own way", it more than capable of breaking every speed limit in the country (yes, even including on I80 in Wyoming, going uphill, into 60mph gusts, with throttle to spare at 80mph indicated ~ that was on a slower 2008~12 model too). Out of the 20 years I've been riding, the Ninja 250 is easily the best, most enjoyable motorcycle I've ridden.

Sure wish people would take their conveniently biased and uneducated opinions to themselves, but hey.. this is the Interweb! Lets spout off ignorant BS and pass it off as truth just because we want to.

Old 05-25-2013, 06:23 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,202,611 times
Not trying to be rude but friend the first thing you need is some very good paid up medical insurance..There are 2 types of bike riders. "those who have fallen and busted their arse and those who have not fallen YET and bused their arse" ask anyone who has been riding for several years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles