Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 07:58 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,015,542 times

Advertisements

I've always wanted to learn to ride but I never had a place to store the motorcycle and since I had planned to buy a nice bike, I didn't want to leave it outside in the snow and rain.

I don't have that worry anymore so it brings me to this.........

Anyone learn to ride a motorcycle in their 40's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 08:19 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
I've always wanted to learn to ride but I never had a place to store the motorcycle and since I had planned to buy a nice bike, I didn't want to leave it outside in the snow and rain.

I don't have that worry anymore so it brings me to this.........

Anyone learn to ride a motorcycle in their 40's?
Lots of folks in their 40s and older attend MSF classes and learn to ride. If you do I'd say don't buy a 'nice' bike for your first, get something you won't be totally upset with if you drop it in a parking lot or something similar, odds are you will.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:35 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,374,850 times
I took the motorcycle safety course with my dad when I was 16 and he was mid 40s. He had never ridden and never had much of an interest but did it because I did. After that he bought an 1100cc Honda shadow we both rode. He probably put 20k miles on it before he sold it a few years ago!

I bought my motorcycle a couple weeks ago from a 73 year old that still rides.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 09-02-2013, 11:32 AM

38 posts, read 62,499 times
40 isn't too old to Learn how to ride a bike, a friend of mine bought his first bike at 39, GSX1000R, I told him he was nuts as this was risky due to the fact the bike was capable of doing 320km an hour. However he went against my judgment and actually has learnt to ride very well. He is now 45 and still in one piece.

Good advice already mentioned, would be to buy something you wont mind getting scratched because chances are you will fall off a couple of times before you come to terms with biking and the fact that you do fall off. I personally have started racing motorbikes competitively (Road Bikes - Converted to race bikes) at the age of 40 and this is my second year, and I know my time to fall off is drawing near. It isn't to late to learn to do something and creat new memories. Just make sure you have all your ducks in a row, like wills etc.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:49 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,822 times
Maybe your 3rd bike should be a nice one, never the first.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:10 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,260,159 times
OP: No, I started riding when I was 57. Its one of the most enjoyable things I do in retirement. Previous advice is sound - buy a used, cosmetically damaged ride for the first year or so. Buying used in general will save you some serious bucks.

Used bikes are also way cheaper than new even when they are in pristine condition. IMO, high quality safety gear is also a wise idea.

Some ride without it, its their choice. But - unless you're really "special & lucky" - you will likely crash sometime. Its too late then to wish you had high quality protection. Leaving blood spots on the road is both painful and expensive. Its your choice.

PS - take both the Basic and Advanced MSF courses. Also, buy, study and practice the advice in "Proficient Motorcycling" & its follow-on, "More Proficient Motorcycling".

Good luck and ride safe.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:55 PM

Thank you sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
OP: No, I started riding when I was 57. Its one of the most enjoyable things I do in retirement. Previous advice is sound - buy a used, cosmetically damaged ride for the first year or so. Buying used in general will save you some serious bucks.

Used bikes are also way cheaper than new even when they are in pristine condition. IMO, high quality safety gear is also a wise idea.

Some ride without it, its their choice. But - unless you're really "special & lucky" - you will likely crash sometime. Its too late then to wish you had high quality protection. Leaving blood spots on the road is both painful and expensive. Its your choice.

PS - take both the Basic and Advanced MSF courses. Also, buy, study and practice the advice in "Proficient Motorcycling" & its follow-on, "More Proficient Motorcycling".

Good luck and ride safe.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:59 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,407,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodi1 View Post
40 isn't too old to Learn how to ride a bike, a friend of mine bought his first bike at 39, GSX1000R, I told him he was nuts as this was risky due to the fact the bike was capable of doing 320km an hour. However he went against my judgment and actually has learnt to ride very well. He is now 45 and still in one piece.

Good advice already mentioned, would be to buy something you wont mind getting scratched because chances are you will fall off a couple of times before you come to terms with biking and the fact that you do fall off. I personally have started racing motorbikes competitively (Road Bikes - Converted to race bikes) at the age of 40 and this is my second year, and I know my time to fall off is drawing near. It isn't to late to learn to do something and creat new memories. Just make sure you have all your ducks in a row, like wills etc.
They call them donor bikes for a reason. Good luck. Way too dangerous for me. Love fast cars and the roll cage.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Maybe your 3rd bike should be a nice one, never the first.
I do not want a sports bike of any sorts. They look dangerous and most of the riders I see riding ride carelessly and unprotected. I want a cruiser when I finally buy "the one" after I get a few good years of getting riding experience.

1980 Suz.

My ideal first bike:

Old 09-02-2013, 10:46 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,260,159 times
Forgot a useful tidbit: There are many web boards on riding. They are great places for advice, especially on specific rides.

My most favorite one overall is Adventure Rider: Adventure Rider Motorcycle Forum Its got a large, world-wide community with tons of useful rider related information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles