Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 10:43 AM

39,878 posts, read 26,514,597 times

Advertisements

I think part of the issue is the rapid growth in "adventure touring" taking from the "sport touring" market. Many adventure touring bikes handle nice, paved, twisty roads nearly as well as sport touring bikes, but also offer the opportunity to hit backroads/dirt/forest service roads just as capably. I had a Concours for a lot of years, but passed up a lot of neat chances to explore because I didn't like the way it handled on dirt. My adventure bikes do well at both and have opened up a whole new world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 11:13 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,474,646 times
Agreed. After going through several makes/models of bikes over my years of cross-country riding I've settled on an '08 R1200GSA. While it doesn't see all that much gnarly unpaved stuff, what it does see it handles quite well. For its size its a joy to ride on the twisty technical roads too, and the range can't be beat.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:10 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
First, OP glad the retinitis pigmentosa or whatever it was is in remission. That matters most, of course.

Second, I was always the sport bike and track guy; my pal (who is a big contributor on a certain "adventure tour" board) did the serious miles back in the day. Many of them on the adventure side of things, with Triumph Tigers being one of his favorites. He did the Alaska Haul Road on one of them, it's a miracle he made it up and back but he surely did. He was pretty hard-core about that stuff, before hanging up his spurs mostly for dirt bikes (in his 50s, amusingly enough).

OP's right, as is the other guy, about that other forum going away. It seemed to die fast when it did. Too, though, my opinion is the "dual sport" thing with bikes that aren't really dual sports...anything 1100-1300cc calling itself "dual sport" is dubious...may be more en vogue these days. Or it could be observer bias, from my POV: I have one of those beasts, a Multistrada Pikes Peak, and it can do monster road mileage just fine as-well. Better than just fine, as it weighs a lot less than the STs of yore and can sort-of double as a sport bike or gravel-road traveler for stretches, too which adds a bit of spice.

That's been my thing since 2010. I looked at the Concours 14 and other STs or GTs, which I was in the process of selling anyway (Honda Blackbird), and saw what I thought was the future in the then-new Multistrada, BMW GS, and an offering from KTM. The Honda ST, Yamaha FJR, and Concours 14 in-particular are (or were) spectacular at what they did, but that's always been a bit too big for my tastes (see "sportbike" comment, paragraph 2 above).

"Iron Butt" rides, crikey! I did a SS1K and SS2K, both on my 1999 CBR1100XX Blackbird, in 2004 and 2009 resp. then hung up my spurs on that part of the motorcycling experience. To date, my limit stands at 1,130 miles in one day, in 2010, which was enough for my tastes thanks. But if that appeals...and it does to many...I think every ST rider-type of personality should at least "consider" gathering some pals and plotting out a SS1K just to see how they like it. Agreed on that.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:51 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I've done San Francisco to Seattle in a bit over a day on a CBR600.
I am in awe of your iron butt. I rode a CBR600 from Chicago to Florida in a day and my back and wrists were sore for a week. I can't imagine tripling that distance.

Edit... Nevermind, I read that as San Fran to Boston the first time.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:29 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,463,986 times
Quote:
I've done San Francisco to Seattle in a bit over a day on a CBR600.
I did it in 16 hours on a V-Strom - almost all in daylight, since it was June 21st.

Old 02-14-2015, 01:34 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
I did it in 16 hours on a V-Strom - almost all in daylight, since it was June 21st.
Take the coastal route next time, way better ride. It does take an extra 6 hours or so though.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Take the coastal route next time, way better ride. It does take an extra 6 hours or so though.
That^^^ I'm much more into enjoying the experience than cranking on big miles. It's the main reason I enjoy adventure bikes so much. I put about as many dirt road miles on now as I do paved and am hapier for it. The nicest country isn't available from slab. Though too often schedules dictate that you just need to get it done.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
I am in awe of your iron butt. I rode a CBR600 from Chicago to Florida in a day and my back and wrists were sore for a week. I can't imagine tripling that distance.

Edit... Nevermind, I read that as San Fran to Boston the first time.
No, definitely not. That's more like two days of some of the most boring riding known to mankind even if you do nothing but stop for gas and relieve the bladder.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
That^^^ I'm much more into enjoying the experience than cranking on big miles. It's the main reason I enjoy adventure bikes so much. I put about as many dirt road miles on now as I do paved and am hapier for it. The nicest country isn't available from slab. Though too often schedules dictate that you just need to get it done.
Yeah. I just bought a new car which was the more practical choice. I was looking at the Tiger 800 XC before that. It's about two hours for me to get to decent backroads. The really good stuff is more like six hours. On the upside, we have some fantastic paved roads without much traffic on them that are easier day ride distance.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Yeah. I just bought a new car which was the more practical choice. I was looking at the Tiger 800 XC before that. It's about two hours for me to get to decent backroads. The really good stuff is more like six hours. On the upside, we have some fantastic paved roads without much traffic on them that are easier day ride distance.
The beauty of the 800 XC is that it's an awesome road bike as well. Perfectly comfortable on the pavement, especially a nice twisty backroad. And when you're done tearing up pavement and get to those nice dirt roads through the mountains it just keeps on gettin' it done. I really like mine, great balance of pavement and dirt performance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles