Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2022, 09:57 AM

17,624 posts, read 17,682,949 times

Advertisements

Was shocked to see on the road a motorcycle with side car. That was the first time seeing one on the road locally. Im 53 and I don’t think I had ever seen one on the road before that day. Does the side car disconnect from the motorcycle or is it built together? Would people use the side car like a storage trunk like for groceries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2022, 10:02 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,683,589 times
I believe it's clamped on, it's removable but it takes a long time. There may be brackets on some bikes, already provided and welded to the frame.

It's for a passenger. Always seemed kinda sketchy to me, frankly, but this was an extremely common setup in the days and places (Europe, for example) where the motorcycle was commonly used as one's only transportation.

Old 09-02-2022, 11:52 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,725 posts, read 58,067,115 times
It's pretty common and most are removable. Often they have some trick geometry (moving components) for cornering. (Recently a Father / son sidecar racing competition ended very tragically, maybe on Isle of Man?)

Usually for dogs, or passenger, but I did see a lot of cargo use of sidecars, in Asia (Including a Brahma bull in a sidecar in Vietnam!)
https://www.google.com/search?q=side...bih=1057&dpr=1

For cargo in USA, it is more common for MC to pull a small trailer.

Old 09-04-2022, 09:04 AM

10,309 posts, read 6,847,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Was shocked to see on the road a motorcycle with side car. That was the first time seeing one on the road locally. Im 53 and I don’t think I had ever seen one on the road before that day. Does the side car disconnect from the motorcycle or is it built together? Would people use the side car like a storage trunk like for groceries?
You can use a "hack" for anything you feel comfortable transporting.
Bags of cement? Sure!
Grand kids? Sure!
Celebrity MIL's? Sure!
Senior citizens that always wanted the experience of being "in-the-wind?" Sure!

If you were "shocked" to see something that's been on moto's for the past 110 years, then just wait until you see someone "flying" their side hack. (It's even more fun, when there's a person or 2 in the hack!)

Next "shocking revelation?" Corvettes now come with V-8's.

Old 09-05-2022, 06:00 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,376,630 times
I occasionally see a motorcycle with sidecar here in Germany, although they are rare enough to catch my attention. Some are 30+ year old brands from the East German communist era, usually with small displacement two-stroke engines. Others are a heavy duty Russian Ural motorcycles with sidecar, usually painted an army-green or beige color to make it look military issue. These are perhaps the ultimate sidecar motorcycle.

https://www.imz-ural.com/

Old 09-05-2022, 02:20 PM

17,624 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
You can use a "hack" for anything you feel comfortable transporting.
Bags of cement? Sure!
Grand kids? Sure!
Celebrity MIL's? Sure!
Senior citizens that always wanted the experience of being "in-the-wind?" Sure!

If you were "shocked" to see something that's been on moto's for the past 110 years, then just wait until you see someone "flying" their side hack. (It's even more fun, when there's a person or 2 in the hack!)

Next "shocking revelation?" Corvettes now come with V-8's.
I wasn’t shocked at a motorcycle with a sidecar. I was shocked to have seen one locally on the roads.

Old 09-06-2022, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I wasn’t shocked at a motorcycle with a sidecar. I was shocked to have seen one locally on the roads.
What's your location?

(Just general area.)

Better yet, you might want to put this info in your profile. It's easy to be "vague."

Old 09-06-2022, 10:15 PM

319 posts, read 199,751 times
I piloted a sidecar for about 12 years. Awesome fun, but way different than two wheels. I spent a week at Sidecar School, learning to operate it properly. Never flew the chair unless by accident.

The tub can come off, but unless you are skilled at putting it back on, making sure the toe is set right and the alignment is correct, it's highly discouraged. Besides, a hack wears the back tire in a different way. More like a car. The configuration certainly wears the tire out faster. Guy at the shop kept telling me I should switch out the back tire from motorcycle to car tire, it would last longer. I just never got around to it.

I never went back to two wheels after learning to pilot a sidecar. I loved the stability, no more worrying about wet roads or loose gravel, but the way I trained made it hard. You move in such a different manner, some of the ingrained tactics would make you wreck a two-wheeler.

Mine was used for everything: camping gear, groceries, sometimes another person. Though, few people wanted to ride after the first trip. You are sitting inches from the road, with traffic passing at a height higher than your head. It's unnerving.
Attached Thumbnails
Motorcycle with side car-terri-silverwing.jpeg  

Old 09-06-2022, 10:22 PM

319 posts, read 199,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I occasionally see a motorcycle with sidecar here in Germany, although they are rare enough to catch my attention. Some are 30+ year old brands from the East German communist era, usually with small displacement two-stroke engines. Others are a heavy duty Russian Ural motorcycles with sidecar, usually painted an army-green or beige color to make it look military issue. These are perhaps the ultimate sidecar motorcycle.

https://www.imz-ural.com/
After I had a sidecar attached to my Silverwing, I talked Spouse into getting a Ural. Yeegawds, talk about a bow-wow. Underpowered, belched smoke when first started, absurdly cantankerous when it came to maintenance. I looked at the site. Maybe they've been improved over the last 20 years, but Spouse got rid of his.

Old 09-07-2022, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Luv Chins View Post
After I had a sidecar attached to my Silverwing, I talked Spouse into getting a Ural. Yeegawds, talk about a bow-wow. Underpowered, belched smoke when first started, absurdly cantankerous when it came to maintenance. I looked at the site. Maybe they've been improved over the last 20 years, but Spouse got rid of his.
Ural hasn't changed in 70 years, so much for "improvement..."

Your adjectives are perfect for the URAL, too.

Not often we see a hack, on a scooter.

Finally, using a car tire on the back, is called "going to the darkside."

Reversing a moto rear tire, installed on the front. is called "double dark."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles