Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2023, 05:42 AM

10,833 posts, read 4,513,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Anyone have experience with the modern Chinese motorcycles? Specifically any of the Grom clones, like the KP Mini, Condor, or Vader?

20 years ago, I would never have considered a Chinese bike, but it looks like they have improved a lot over the years.

dont do it.

I have looked at the chondas and chawasaki and just ... no.

Parts stream is HARD and only lasts for about 2 years for a model and the warranty on a chawasaki klr250 clone I REALLY looked at this summer is 90 days.

Days.

shows you what THEY feel about it. no matter how well priced and how good it looked.

I watched with interest when everyone had a chonda clone of the 'power torque motor' (the old 90cc 4spd motor used almost everywhere over the last 60 years and the basis for the Grom) and the chinese pares are oh so close, but the final fit is just not there and the metals are inferior.

My kid who got heavy into bikes, just picked up a grom for tooling around pitt since it gets like 90mpg and he got the 185cc big bore kit. Just get one of those. parts stream is good, everyone can work on them, and they are hondas. FTR, motorcycles were one of the things I did in the shop, fixes, restores, inspection, rebuilds. trust me on the parts fitment stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2023, 05:47 AM

10,833 posts, read 4,513,691 times
Quote:
Given that the 125cc engine on these is the same as on the Honda Cub, the largest selling motor vehicle in history, parts availability isn’t that much of a problem. Body plastics may not be available at your local mainstream motorcycle dealer, but there are importers and dealers of these motorcycles all over. Some parts are specific to the Chinese bikes, while others can use actual Honda branded parts.

Given that many (most?) mainstream motorcycle manufacturers have manufacturing facilities and partnerships in various developing countries around the world, including China, I don’t think “Made In China” is a disqualifying condition.

FYI. . .

(Not my list, from another website)

Honda CBR300R - made in China, assembled in Thailand
Honda CRF125F - Made/assembled in China
Honda CRF250L - Made in China, assembled in Thailand
Gas Gas 250 cami - Engine Made in China, assembled in Spain (Pre 2014 bankruptcy)
BMW GS650 - Made in China, assembled Germany
Suzuki GSX250R - Made in China, assembled in Indonesia
AJP - Made in China, assembled Portugal?
Harley Davidson - Made in China (partially), assembled in the USA
Honda XR70 - assumed to be made and assembled in China.
Polaris (All) - Made in China or Taiwan and assembled in USA or Mexico.
CCM - Made in China, assembled ???
SWM - Made in China, assembled ???

Shared Licensing agreements:
KTM - CFMoto
BMW - Loncin
Beta - Suzuki (Qingqi)
Yamaha - Jianshe
Honda - Jianling and Sundiro
Kawasaki - Loncin (Letter of intent, however never established)
Husqvarna - Shineray (Pre 2013)
Suzuki - Qingqi and Jincheng
Piaggio - Zongshen
SWM - Shineray (2014 - Present)
CCM - Shineray
CSC - Zongshen
Harley Davidson - Zongshen
AJP - Zongshen, Shineray

keep in mind that they might have some factories in china but they do not have THE factory in china. your first bike listed above - kumamoto prefecture japan and thailand.

Old 08-05-2023, 06:31 AM

10,717 posts, read 5,655,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
Thanks for the link.

Old 08-05-2023, 06:42 AM

8,485 posts, read 4,727,776 times
When I was looking into scooters, I was also tempted by the Chinese stuff.

In my research, I found that they tend to crap out fairly early, and to be prepared to go all DIY for repairs as a lot of shops won’t touch them. Oftentimes getting the correct parts appears to be problematic as well. So, as someone else mentioned, you’d unfortunately have to treat them like one-and-done disposable commodities.

Old 08-05-2023, 01:06 PM

8,305 posts, read 13,437,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
Then why did motorcycle parts increase the last few years? Supply chain issues revolved around China not other markets. Most of China's factories are automated. Using 5G technology and robots. Quality is now world class.
I don't get your question. What exactly increased?

Also, it doesn't matter who the world market is, doesn't change or disprove what I stated. They have multiple quality standards, for domestic market they make much better stuff, the imported stuff have been always sub-par at best. This is not a dated info or opinion. They may look good and work well even but they reliability, longevity is just not there. That goes for Korean vehicles to a lesser extent. Not being biased but actual real world experience and feedback from candid sources (users and mechanics).

I shared my opinion based on the above. To each his/her own. When it comes to more expensive and important stuff, I prefer to spend a bit more and go with the tried and true even if that means used vs new.

Old 08-07-2023, 10:27 PM

10,297 posts, read 6,818,131 times
Quote:
I’ve had a number of motorcycles in the past (two different Kawasaki dirt bikes and a Victory street bike), and I currently have a Polaris ATV. All have been great, never a single problem. I sold my motorcycles nearly 20 years ago, and I’m thinking about getting back into it. I’m either going to buy another street bike (probably a FJR1300), or a bar hopper of some sort for cheap commuting and putt-putting around town. For a small commuter bike, keeping it inexpensive is a priority.

The guys I know locally with the newer Chinese bikes have generally had pretty good luck with them. A commuter bike <$2,000 is pretty appealing.
What I bolded above, tells me you are a "re-entry" rider. Because of this, I recommend a re-entry motorcycle training class.

If you are getting "on in years" then you might want to focus on a smaller/lighter bike, other than an FJR. (Unless you're planning on iron-butt or other long distance riding.)

Ridden a Triumph Bonny lately?

Old 08-07-2023, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
What I bolded above, tells me you are a "re-entry" rider. Because of this, I recommend a re-entry motorcycle training class.
I re-took the MSF Rider Course this last weekend.

Quote:
If you are getting "on in years" then you might want to focus on a smaller/lighter bike, other than an FJR. (Unless you're planning on iron-butt or other long distance riding.)
The 200cc bikes in the rider course completely changed my mind about the possibility of small bike, Chinese or otherwise. The FJR is pretty heavy, so I’m going to look at ADV bikes in the 500-550 lb range.

Quote:
Ridden a Triumph Bonny lately?
Not since 2003.

Old 08-08-2023, 06:49 PM

10,297 posts, read 6,818,131 times
Quote:
I re-took the MSF Rider Course this last weekend.
Excellent!!! (I'm a retired MSF RiderCoach.)
Quote:

The 200cc bikes in the rider course completely changed my mind about the possibility of small bike, Chinese or otherwise. The FJR is pretty heavy, so I’m going to look at ADV bikes in the 500-550 lb range.
Even an adv bike in the 500-550 lb range is quite portly. We're talking Honda AT and BMW GS, here. You're right though, the lighter they are, the "funner" they can be! I've been "reducing and simplifying" too.

I have a Triumph Tiger 800 XC that tips the scales @470#, and it's still a porker. But, it's not bad when strictly on the street. I have other bikes for the dirt...

Here's the Tiger, on a twisty mountain road. 63 turns in 7 miles. 3500' vertical drop.

https://youtu.be/C-qFLSPHpzw

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 08-08-2023 at 06:54 PM.. Reason: Fixed it.

Old 08-08-2023, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Excellent!!! (I'm a retired MSF RiderCoach.)

Even an adv bike in the 500-550 lb range is quite portly. We're talking Honda AT and BMW GS, here. You're right though, the lighter they are, the "funner" they can be! I've been "reducing and simplifying" too.

I have a Triumph Tiger 800 XC that tips the scales @470#, and it's still a porker. But, it's not bad when strictly on the street. I have other bikes for the dirt...

Here's the Tiger, on a twisty mountain road. 63 turns in 7 miles. 3500' vertical drop.

https://youtu.be/C-qFLSPHpzw
Ah, Palomar Mountain, my old stomping grounds. While there are fewer and fewer things that I miss about living in San Diego, it DOES have some nice backcountry areas. And while I don’t have year-round riding weather, I DO have MT, ID, WY, ID, etc. Some really beautiful country with lots of twisties and big elevation changes where I live.

The newer Tiger 900 looks interesting, as well as the similar KTM 890 Adventure.

Old 08-08-2023, 09:34 PM

8,305 posts, read 13,437,323 times
Quote:
Ah, Palomar Mountain, my old stomping grounds. While there are fewer and fewer things that I miss about living in San Diego, it DOES have some nice backcountry areas. And while I don’t have year-round riding weather, I DO have MT, ID, WY, ID, etc. Some really beautiful country with lots of twisties and big elevation changes where I live.

The newer Tiger 900 looks interesting, as well as the similar KTM 890 Adventure.
I thought you were on a budget or, didn't wanna spend much?
Norty has good taste and I liked his recommendations but those bikes you and he mentioned are not cheap, especially new.

If you do like adventure type bikes and do not want something too big or expensive, I could recommend Suzuki VStrom 650 to you. You could find a second Gen 650 or even a 3rd Gen used one at a very reasonable price.
Not sure where you are but you might even be able to grab a clean 1st Gen in good condition and low-ish miles for under $3K.
Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles